Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Camps for sale - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 09-24-2020, 06:05 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obabikon View Post

20 years ago though... no one in their right mind would have even thought about purchasing a $75,000 ranger.
Obi,

Unless that Ranger has a new boat hitched to it for a $75,000 price tag, I don’t think there will be any takers on buying a camp in Canada based on the taxes you pay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2020, 05:04 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
First... 50 years ago, there were tons of tiny "resorts". 3 cabin places where the owners rented out two building just to make a little money. Those have almost all gone private at this point. So, that raises demand on the functioning resorts.
Ironically - That is very similar to what has happened in northern Minnesota (and - I expect in other "tourist" type states). There used to be many more "resorts" here where you could go and rent a cabin for a week or ??. Through the years these resorts have been sold off, a lot of times it would start out by maybe selling one of the cabins, then sell another one, etc. Pretty soon - it was ALL sold off.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:13 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichA$1970 View Post
Although I wish your comments were off, the writing is on the wall and I agree with you.

I just think the way kids interact everything is digital and they could care less about spending 15 hours driving in the bush for a week without having a headset on playing militia fairy tale games.

Thereís 3 in my crew 76 and over and the drive n trips get harder on them every year. I feel for them and will miss them when they throw in the towel as thereís not much of a pipeline of replacements interested in going.
Exactly. My first fly in was in 2001, and we had a group of 6 guys that went every year. I was the youngest. 15-20 years later, the older guys are in their late 70's, and they all gave it up. Trying to find another 5 guys to replace them was impossible. So, I lost my slot on the best lake I have ever fished. Now, I still go, but only with outfitters that will take groups of 2, 3, 4 guys.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:28 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan walleye guy 2.0 View Post
Exactly. My first fly in was in 2001, and we had a group of 6 guys that went every year. I was the youngest. 15-20 years later, the older guys are in their late 70's, and they all gave it up. Trying to find another 5 guys to replace them was impossible. So, I lost my slot on the best lake I have ever fished. Now, I still go, but only with outfitters that will take groups of 2, 3, 4 guys.
Is larus lake the go to lake? 2022 get some guys here on WC to go Iíll be first in line,rod
Old 09-26-2020, 06:15 AM
Wallhanger

My, some serious overnight editing last night. So did you bounce him out again or just clean up his mess?
Old 09-26-2020, 06:19 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post
My, some serious overnight editing last night. So did you bounce him out again or just clean up his mess?
I think mixed bag message got nuked,wasnít nice what he typed
Old 09-26-2020, 06:31 AM
Wallhanger

There was nothing mixed about what he typed. It's the same old rant he has been on for years. He got bounce within the last year for it and last night he re-appeared. The message hadn't changed nor the presentation.

I won't say he doesn't have the right to his opinion, he does. However I question his thought process that he would be allowed to express it here at Walleye Central.

Oh well, I suspect he got bounced but he will return just like the Americans will return to Canada when the border opens.

Time to move along, back to the original topic about Camps being for sale.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:06 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post
There was nothing mixed about what he typed. It's the same old rant he has been on for years. He got bounce within the last year for it and last night he re-appeared. The message hadn't changed nor the presentation.

I won't say he doesn't have the right to his opinion, he does. However I question his thought process that he would be allowed to express it here at Walleye Central.

Oh well, I suspect he got bounced but he will return just like the Americans will return to Canada when the border opens.

Time to move along, back to the original topic about Camps being for sale.
Yea some people would rather start a small war on WC when they should Be talking fishing or fishing related
Old 09-27-2020, 08:34 AM
Wallhanger

I've read (from state DNR Reports) that hunting and fishing license sales have been dropping since the mid 80s and down 20% from peak with unfavorable forward looking demographics. I'm not in that business so have no first hand experience but anecdotally, I don't see the bird hunters and deer hunters like I used to by any measure in KS/IA. they just aren't around.

I know with my kids we just didn't have time for a week up north. they both were both good athletes and way too busy year round. We did 100s of day trips fishing and hunting around here, but nothing extended. spring break was never for us, we were off at some tournament in some city...

The camp owners I have talked to in the last 5 years tell me they have seen a big drop-off with kids/families in summer over the past 15 years because of all the activities that are now year round, video games, school schedules. A resort up on LOTW told me they do 90% of their business in Winter anymore! Its a good resort many here may know.

That being said, I think ice fishing has made a gargantuan( positive for tourism) change in the last 10-15 years. I think if you want the lifestyle, its still as good as any way to make a living if you are passionate and willing to work very hard.... I think its fair to say its more expensive to do now..not many throwing a 14ft boat on top of a car and a 10hp motor going anymore.

For me, I would never turn my hobby into work. Work is not always fun. Those resort owners work very very hard when everyone else is out fishing. thought I wanted to be a game warden until my dad said "when the ducks are flying , you are working". great career choice but I want to hunt when the ducks are flying...trade offs....
4 Rivers Refuge Runners/PPF Woodduck Mud Motors

Last edited by kswalleyer; 09-27-2020 at 08:37 AM.