Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Takeaways from opening of Big Ten - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 10-29-2020, 03:36 PM
Wallhanger

Gophers get Maryland Friday so they should be 1-1 by Saturday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2020, 03:41 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skol View Post
Minnesota led in first downs and time of possession. Hardly "steam rolled". 3 big plays by Michigan - the long run, the fumble recovery for a TD and long kick return changed the game.
This is taken from the Star Tribune.

Michigan averaged 8.3 yards per carry on its way to 256 rushing yards, saw quarterback Joe Milton average 10.2 yards per passing attempt, and had nine consecutive offensive possessions that resulted in either a touchdown (six) or a missed field-goal attempt (three). Aside from a first-possession blocked punt, a next-to-last possession turnover on downs and a final kneel-down, the Gophers did not stop the Wolverines.

I'm not putting the Gophers down, just stating the obvious. they were blown out at home.
On to Maryland.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:39 PM
Wallhanger

Nice to see Maryland get a win. Even nicer to see another hole punched in the ole boat at Minnesota. What a way to lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2020, 10:51 PM
Wallhanger

Oh My! There goes that 1-1.

This COVID thing sucks!!
Old 10-31-2020, 04:36 AM
Wallhanger

Ugh, there go my high hopes for Michiganís offense.
Old 10-31-2020, 09:13 AM
Wallhanger

Fleck pulls defeat from the jaws of victory by not going for two at the end. With the why they ran the ball I can only ask myself why not?
Old 10-31-2020, 09:29 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
Fleck pulls defeat from the jaws of victory by not going for two at the end. With the why they ran the ball I can only ask myself why not?

The extra point should have never happened. The game was over in the 4th quarter if they could only play a bit of defense.
Old 10-31-2020, 09:30 AM
Wallhanger

Good point
Old 10-31-2020, 12:00 PM
cutting edge

Losing at home big to Michigan and then following up with a loss to Maryland, sums up the Gophers season.....it's over!
You won't win many games giving up 40+ points a game...I'm (like I stated in a previous post) still not confident the Gophers are on an upward trend as far as being a competitive team on the high level....I can only imagine what a team like e.g. Alabama would do to the Gophers.
I would love to see the Gophers be a competitive team not only in the big 10, but also on a national level, but I'm not convinced we're close at all!
Maryland is not a good team, this loss was telling to me.
Old 10-31-2020, 12:22 PM
Wallhanger

You have to prove you can dominate the weak sister west division of the Big $$ first. They haven't done that. Last year they handled the cupcakes and a weak division schedule. Give them credit they handled their business. Finished off with a nice bowl win.

This was the year ol PJ was to put his money where his elite ego resides. Unfortunately for him Covid hit and wiped out the cupcakes. In addition the kicking team went to he77 so you see what he has. Had he still had the cupcakes and normal practise he would have beaten Maryland but I doubt he beats Michigan. He would be 5-1 instead of 0-2.

The season continues, if he can turn the defense around which is horrendous he might finish .500 but I doubt that will happen.

It will be interesting to see how the old Smoke & Mirrors wizard spins this season. One thing I admire about him (there are very few things) is he hasn't to this point passed the buck. When they suck he accepts full responsibility and says they will work harder. Not all coaches are that way, so good on him for that.