Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
which boat to choose - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 10-29-2020, 04:28 PM
Minnow

Default which boat to choose

Hi, all...Would I be better off going with a Ranger VS 1660T or a Lund Angler 1650T? ANY and ALL comments welcomed...Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2020, 05:17 PM
Wallhanger

Lund Angler would be my choice of the two you listed but if you’re open to options you might consider a Lund Rebel XL.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:41 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrich52* View Post
Hi, all...Would I be better off going with a Ranger VS 1660T or a Lund Angler 1650T? ANY and ALL comments welcomed...Thanks!
Unless I am mistaken are you comparing fiberglass to Aluminum. Not apples to apples. Also how do you fish.
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2020, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

I've been looking at the 1650 Angler Tiller myself. Between your 2 choices, the Lund is longer, wider, has a wider chine, and has a higher HP rating.

The Ranger is welded, the Lund is riveted. Another hull to maybe consider is the Alumacraft 165 Classic Tiller. Biggest advantage is the built-in fuel tank, as well as a 60hp rating.

HRG
Old 10-29-2020, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbheli View Post
Unless I am mistaken are you comparing fiberglass to Aluminum. Not apples to apples. Also how do you fish.
The Ranger VS 1660T is a tin hull,,,,

https://www.rangerboats.com/aluminum...overview_specs

HRG
Old 10-29-2020, 05:53 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
The Ranger VS 1660T is a tin hull,,,,

https://www.rangerboats.com/aluminum...overview_specs

HRG
Ah ha ! Thanks for the correction I as thinking about the Z series for some reason.
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 11-06-2020, 03:18 PM
Slot Fish

If you're comparing Lund to Ranger in this class, I would agree with 7 Mag... The Rebel XL is more comparable to the Ranger VS 1660, the Angler seems to be a step down.

Plus the Rebel is quite a bit wider than both the Ranger and the Angler, and therefore more stable (85" for Rebel, 80" for Angler and only 75" for Ranger - that's a pretty narrow boat - look at the side-by-side seating in the plan view picture, you're pretty much rubbing thighs with the passenger).

Rebel is also about 100 lb lighter than the Ranger and only 25 lb heavier than the Angler, so with the same motor it's going to likely have higher top end, and better cruise speed at best fuel economy RPM. Not sure why the Ranger is so much heavier given its so much narrower, but that seems to be a downside to me in this size range.

If Lund is the brand winner, then personally I would be happier with a built in fuel tank and a bit more storage in the Rebel vs the Angler.

Also check the space for trolling motor batteries. For sure the Rebel can hold 2 up front in the compartment so it's readily suited for 12v or 24v systems. I'm pretty sure the Angler only has space for 1 battery in the bow, and not sure about the Ranger (from the pictures and spec sheet it looks like it's only capable of 1). If you want a 24v Terrova this would be a concern, finding space for that extra battery could be a huge pain if not accounted for in the initial boat layout.

From the website pricing The Rebel and the Ranger seem to be in the same ballpark (+/- $17k base price), the Angler is a fair bit cheaper but it's base priced with a 25hp motor which should be considered a NON-STARTER on a boat rated for 50hp max!! So if you spec it with the right sized motor its going to be in the same cost ballpark too. And I wouldn't let a couple of $k make that decision anyway personally, unless you're looking short term and planning to upgrade again. Because 10 years later a couple of extra $k upfront will be insignificant, but the pain of cheaping out lasts forever.

Rebel XL 1650 would be my choice in this dogfight.

Just my $0.02

Cheers

Last edited by therealjoeblow; 11-06-2020 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-06-2020, 05:44 PM
Wallhanger

I sold my Impact spring of 2018, just prior to a long distance move, to avoid an extra trip.

So every since then, the discussion has been find the right boat, make it the last one, I’m getting tired of paying for boats. Anyhow, after all this time, considering the Lund Alaskan, the 1650 Rebel XL, the Lund Angler, and the Alumacraft Classic Tiller, the Classic won out. The Classic doesn’t have the little plastic consol on the floor taking up space, it’s up out of the way. It has a 17 gallon built in fuel tank, 60hp rating, 7 foot rod storage on each side.

For several reasons I went Alumacraft, I wanted a Yamaha, for one, the built in fuel tank, the storage in the Classic is slightly better, and price was a little better. A few other issues I won’t go too deep on, such as local dealers, etc.

I’ve been downsizing everything in my life lately. Trying to go minimalist with most things. The Classic fits that bill, too.

Just a thought, give the Alumacraft Classic 165 tiller a look.
Old 11-06-2020, 08:59 PM
Wallhanger

Every welded ranger/tracker I've even seen have horrible looking welds,....

Id go with Lund, Alumacraft, Polar Craft, G3,...

Anything other than the ranger/tracker,....
Old 11-06-2020, 11:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjoeblow View Post
If you're comparing Lund to Ranger in this class, I would agree with 7 Mag... The Rebel XL is more comparable to the Ranger VS 1660, the Angler seems to be a step down.
By what metric is the VS1660T comparable to the 1650 Rebel XL? Are you seeing a different set of specs on these hulls than I am?

HRG