Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
How did you learn about trolling? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 03-30-2020, 02:42 PM
Minnow

Default How did you learn about trolling?

This year, I'm finally taking the dive into trolling. I've been using the search function and Youtube to learn as much as I can. There are a few things I'm on the fence about like whether to spool linecounters with mono or 10-15 lb braid and rod length and stuff like that. Are there other resources out there that the knowledgeable ones here have used like books or videos to learn or is it just a matter of accumulating time on the water?

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2020, 03:30 PM
Minnow

Walleye 101/Lance Valentine and also precisiontrollingdata.com Between these 2 they should have all the answers.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:40 PM
Wallhanger

I started by watching videos and reading everything that was in print. Year 2 a buddy and I decided to take a charter with a very good charter captain that only take 2 or 3 guys and doesn't mind teaching as you go. Practiced what was taught for that year and then took another charter with him again and added more wisdom to our arsenal.
He even came out on my boat to critic my boat control and methods.
You will learn so much in a short time by spending some money and seeing first hand how its done.

We are now very good friends and share waypoints.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2020, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

I was taught by one of the best (May he Rest In Peace)...Rick LaCourse, a/k/a "Bigfoot".

He was a charter Capt here on Lake Erie's Western Basin for 3 decades, a touring walleye pro...and, prior to all that, he was a sheriff's deputy.

He had a partner, back when he was chartering, and I think they had a fleet of boats together...splitting between here on Erie for walleye/perch, and the west side of Lake Michigan for trout and salmon.

He was a big guy with a big personality. You either loved him or hated him, but the man knew how to fish!

My other mentor was Rick's very good friend, Bruce DeShano, who created the Off Shore inline planers. He's still top of the food chain up there in MI where the boards are built, but he's since handed over the business to his son Nick, who oversees most of the day to day operations. Bruce now has more time to do the things he loves most...fishing, hunting, and spending time with family.

We all did a lot of fishing together over the years and visited some of the greatest walleye waters in the country doing it. When we were on the tournament trails...(PWT, FLW, MWC, etc) we teamed up with Bruce, the Glorvigan Twins, Mike McClelland, and Rich Mealy.

I can't begin to tell you how privileged I was to get to learn from all of these top walleye anglers over a span of 9 years fishing tournaments. I think it's safe to say, "I learned a lot from them".

It's an old picture of him, but one I always liked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ricks Promo Fish Pic.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	317034  
NPAA#89

Supporting Vendor
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
JulsWalleyeFishingAdventures.com

2019 Ranger 621 FS
300 G2
15 ETEC Kicker
112 Ulterra w/iPilot LINK
Humminbird Helix 12 MEGA SI CHIRP Gen3
Old 03-30-2020, 05:45 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juls View Post
I was taught by one of the best (May he Rest In Peace)...Rick LaCourse, a/k/a "Bigfoot".

He was a charter Capt here on Lake Erie's Western Basin for 3 decades, a touring walleye pro...and, prior to all that, he was a sheriff's deputy.

He had a partner, back when he was chartering, and I think they had a fleet of boats together...splitting between here on Erie for walleye/perch, and the west side of Lake Michigan for trout and salmon.

He was a big guy with a big personality. You either loved him or hated him, but the man knew how to fish!

My other mentor was Rick's very good friend, Bruce DeShano, who created the Off Shore inline planers. He's still top of the food chain up there in MI where the boards are built, but he's since handed over the business to his son Nick, who oversees most of the day to day operations. Bruce now has more time to do the things he loves most...fishing, hunting, and spending time with family.

We all did a lot of fishing together over the years and visited some of the greatest walleye waters in the country doing it. When we were on the tournament trails...(PWT, FLW, MWC, etc) we teamed up with Bruce, the Glorvigan Twins, Mike McClelland, and Rich Mealy.

I can't begin to tell you how privileged I was to get to learn from all of these top walleye anglers over a span of 9 years fishing tournaments. I think it's safe to say, "I learned a lot from them".

It's an old picture of him, but one I always liked.
This is REALLY friggen cool. I wish I could have those kinds of memories tied to my learning process.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:14 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0ckwave View Post
This is REALLY friggen cool. I wish I could have those kinds of memories tied to my learning process.
You can, take a charter with Juls.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:00 PM
Wallhanger

I worked on a Salmon charter boat in lake michigan a couple of summers. Trolling all over the lake. I suppose I knew about trolling before that but never really fished out of a boat until that time.

I had alot of fun but after years of bank fishing, decades of casting structure, and many years of bottom fishing, trolling is the most boring , repetitive, and disconnected way to fish. Its by far my least favorite way to fish. I only do it when its the only way to catch fish. I would rather catch 5 fish casting then 20 fish trolling.

It is a great way to meat hunt. Probably the best way.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:40 PM
Wallhanger

Started fishing with my Dad but he mainly targeted Pike dragging Daredevils.

Later on as a 12 yo would troll with a retired neighbor but that was pulling wire in the Detroit river.

Then fished with anyone I could and still pretty much do now that I am retired.

Did go to Lance Valentines seminar series back when he was sponsored by Gander Mountain.

With this stuff going on would recommend Mark Romanacks youtube channel. Pretty much has a video for most types of walleye fishing.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...e+fishing+411+

When things slow down I would book with Juls.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:42 PM
Wallhanger

I only started trolling a few years ago.....learned just about everything right here from this site. Took all the info then tried it on Erie, Lake Michigan, Mille lacs, etc. No substitute for experience, trial and error really helps you figure it all out. But most of my info comes right from this site, its been a invaluable resource.
Minn kota 72" 112lb 36v Terrova
Simrad nss evo2 12
BG Zeus2 12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
Lowrance 3d
2 Cannon tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Old 03-31-2020, 04:20 AM
Wallhanger

My 2 main suggestions to learn to troll walleye would be Mark Rominaks fishing 411 or Tom Boley on youtube.