Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
How did you learn about trolling? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 03-31-2020, 07:11 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigeton View Post
My 2 main suggestions to learn to troll walleye would be Mark Rominaks fishing 411 or Tom Boley on youtube.
Yep, I'm subscribed to both and watch them both daily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2020, 09:06 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0ckwave View Post
This year, I'm finally taking the dive into trolling. I've been using the search function and Youtube to learn as much as I can. There are a few things I'm on the fence about like whether to spool linecounters with mono or 10-15 lb braid and rod length and stuff like that. Are there other resources out there that the knowledgeable ones here have used like books or videos to learn or is it just a matter of accumulating time on the water?

TIA!
The articles and podcast here are full of great info.

https://www.offshoretackle.com

Good luck!

2020 Lund 1975 Pro-V
225 Mercury 15 Mercury
Ulterra 112 I Pilot Link MDI
Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA+ SI (2)
Humminbird 360
Old 03-31-2020, 09:48 AM
Wallhanger

In addition to all the above, I credit a good friend (may he RIP) Walleye Jack taught me a lot about walleye fishing and especially got me trolling crank baits. Like me Jack hated the bow mount trolling motor mainly because we had no confidence in that boat control. We back trolled a lot and were very successful. I left Sakakawea for a couple years and when I returned Jack was trolling reef runners and the rest is history.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2020, 01:16 PM
Wallhanger

Thumbs up Some Good Ones

I was as lucky as one could be when it came to learning walleye trolling. When first starting to visit the BaydeNoc area, I fished with Capt. Ken Lee. Not only a great fisherman/troller, but a generous teacher as well. After moving to the area, I became friends with Kim "Chief" Papineau, RIP, spent many many hours with him. After getting settled into the area, was very fortunate again to strike up lasting friendships with a couple of North Dakota guys that traveled to the area for tournaments. Jim Carroll and Johnnie Candle. Fished a ton of pre fish days with both of them. I had some experience with straight line trolling and salmon fishing, but that bunch schooled me on all the planer board, dive curve, structure, lead core, snap weight etc. stuff that really make up so much of the fine tuning game.
Now I live in Florida, probably 1000 miles from the nearest walleye.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:20 PM
Wallhanger

I didn't have any mentors from which to learn how to troll, but over the years, reading every article and book that I could find about walleye trolling, picking pros brains at fishing seminars, watching every video on walleye trolling that I could get my hands on and spending lots of hours on the water learning from trail and error, I'm to the point where trolling crankbaits is by far my favorite way to fish for and catch walleyes. It takes time, patience, curiosity and work to learn about trolling.
Now, if only I didn't have that crankbait addiction!
Old 03-31-2020, 05:19 PM
Wallhanger

If you have a smartphone I would buy the precision trolling app. precisiontrollingdata.com. That gives you the depths your crankbaits troll at. They use mostly Berkley xt mono 10 lb test diameter. So most people try to Match the line diameter. For braid trolling most people use more like 30 to 40 lb for trolling. 10 to 15 lb braid is really small line diameter. It would be difficult to keep snapped on planer boards. Plus that small of braid would cause your crankbaits to drive allot deeper then the precision trolling app says. If you going to do any salmon fishing. Dan Keating has some very good books. http://www.bluehorizonsportfishing.n...ks-videos.html

Last edited by Snowking; 03-31-2020 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:53 PM
Wallhanger

Default Al Lindner/In-Fisherman/Walleye Insider

These were my sources for Walleye fishing and trolling applications. Books and DVDís only. No on the water education except my own trial and error.
Live and die on this day......
Old 04-02-2020, 06:29 PM
Slot Fish

Generally speaking, I don't use line counters. What I do instead is let the bait out, rod over the rear corner, sweep it forward to a point on the boat & repeat until the line is out to where I want it.

If the point forward is 5' from the rear corner, 10 sweeps = 50' out. 20 sweeps = 100' etc. Simple math & it lets me troll with whatever i feel like without a line counter.

Unless someone corrects me, line counters count spool revolutions, not feet of line out. A full spool compared to a 3/4 spool has a very different amount of line out at a "100' reading.

I exclusively use braid, and use fluorocarbon leaders as much as possible. Clearer the water, the longer the leader. I like the solid hook sets, and i can loosen reel drag to accommodate the non stretch

I don't troll nearly enough to really have any specialty rods. For walleye, i'd probably use the same 11-14' noodle type rod with casting reels that I use in my downriggers for local trout trolling (1 rod out each side gives me a 22-28' span btwn the lines). I wouldn't use them for trolling in-line planer boards though.

That's my 2 cents...and I don't troll very often TBH

Happy fishing!!
Old 04-02-2020, 07:07 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRelyea View Post
Generally speaking, I don't use line counters. What I do instead is let the bait out, rod over the rear corner, sweep it forward to a point on the boat & repeat until the line is out to where I want it.
That is how I do it as well, the further the line is out the deeper the crank bait may dive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRelyea View Post
I exclusively use braid, and use fluorocarbon leaders as much as possible. Clearer the water, the longer the leader. I like the solid hook sets, and i can loosen reel drag to accommodate the non stretch
When I first started trolling for walleye back in 1999 - 2007 I use to use mono 17 lb test, and a St. Croix 6' 6" S glass med-heavy casting rod. The zone and most I was fishing was 14' in the river, and 17' along points on the inland lakes. Good success. Unfortunately I never used a rod holder. Should have.

Now that I have a replacement boat because I lost the first one in a divorce, I have fished two season and haven't gotten back into the trolling. I see from reading the above replies, you all are talking more about serious trolling. Big water. I might have to give that a try.

And get a rod holder!
Lowrance Hook2 5 on the bow.
MinnKota Terrova 55 Bow-Mount Trolling Motor with i-Pilot.
(2) Northern 31EV Wet Cell - Parallel
Minn Kota Precision Charger MK 220PC 10 amp two bank charger.
ProMariner Prosport 1.5 AMP for the starting battery
Old 04-02-2020, 07:29 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchither View Post
And get a rod holder!
I try to keep it simple, 1 rod out, maybe 2 tops. 1 stays in my hand so I can rip it forward, do some quicker sweeps, twitches etc to give the bait some kind of new erratic behavior while it's being dragged along.

I found what others suggested seems to work pretty well too: run the motor facing forward at whatever speed I want, and use the trolling motor for steering. Seems to work out so far for the "S" trolls.

Happy fishing!!