Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
How did you learn about trolling? - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 04-02-2020, 07:41 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRelyea View Post
One stays in my hand so I can rip it forward, do some quicker sweeps, twitches etc to give the bait some kind of new erratic behavior while it's being dragged along.
That's why I never had rod holders. But I think the time has come for me to add at least one to my rig.

Thank you!
Lowrance Hook2 5 on the bow.
MinnKota Terrova 55 Bow-Mount Trolling Motor with i-Pilot.
(2) Northern 31EV Wet Cell - Parallel
Minn Kota Precision Charger MK 220PC 10 amp two bank charger.
ProMariner Prosport 1.5 AMP for the starting battery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2020, 09:42 PM
Minnow

Default Trolling

Itís pretty simple, put a lure out, generally a fiberglass boat rod, mono on a bait caster that holds the amount of line you think you need, pick a speed,a depth you want in whatever depth youíre fishing. Put the rod in a holder or hold it And jig it a bit. I ran charters out of Kewaunee for several years and opened Cabelaís in Woodbury in the fishing department for years,m spent 40 years on Leech...still there.

The you donít need line counters, count passes,
Learn to control your track, try to stay straight if using many lines, s turns make one side of the boat goes too fast the other to slow, if you want to control your depth , your lure speed is controlled by your throttle.
Boat rods are cheap and flex better than grafite and you need some forgiveness that mono give you. Stay w at least 14# in an Xt type line. Lighter line stretchís too much, braids to little much cheaper floralcarbon isnít needed, and has other things that are wrong.
Any reel you have will work and I do use some spinning. You donít need $200 reel to catch 5# fish. Salmon different story. Diana 17, but 27s work and 47 overkill.

Now the hard part, what lure at what time and what depth and what speed. Your on you own

Of. Ourse I could be wrong, just ask my wife!

Oh how I learned,trial and error and listened and left a lot of gear with the lake.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:57 AM
Minnow

Dont get overwhelmed with all of the information out there. When you think about it, if you can catch a fish casting and retrieving, you ARE trolling. Main difference is we let lines drift back rather than cast, and the boat becomes the retrieve action. (Except for the fact that the line stays out) The advantage is that you can manage more lines. Speed and slow the boat as you would if casting and reeling, turns will speed and slow on one side or another.
With that said, pick one tool to add. Whether it be Jet divers, Dipsys, Snap Weights, etc.. Learn it ! Become comfortable with it.. then pick another.. Don't buy a whole cart full of different tools and take them out.. you'll just get frustrated..
Most importantly, what works well for one, may not be your game. Find what your comfortable with and run with it.

https://www.facebook.com/Reel-Dreams-Fishing-112234026828322/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2020, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

I learned trolling by doing it. But I had guidance from multiple sources, In-Fisherman, Fishing Facts, and Buck Perry.

This book will help you understand the how to, why's, and wherefore's of trolling.

https://www.bucksspoonplugs.com/Spoo...tion_p_88.html

Granted this was written long before modern GPS/Sonar units which have helped cut down on some of the mapping Buck talks about in the book. Still, the basics of trolling are laid out, depth and speed of lures or bait, how to make a trolling pass, etc. Once you understand what you're trying to accomplish by trolling then you can branch out to multi line systems, planer boards, etc.

Buck, of course uses his lures, which are still available, but even he says one can use any lure they want so long as it maintains proper depth and speed.

Buck Perry is the Father of modern day fishing. Everything you've read, watched, learned, about fishing over the last 60+ plus years ties back to this book. Buck passed away a number of years ago.

There's a fine line between being a dedicated fisherman and fool who doesn't know when to come in out of the rain.

Minnesota, Land of 10,000 Wind Chills.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:37 AM
Wallhanger

I received the basics from reading different magazines and watching the shows on TV at the time.
Then it was trial and error until I understood what worked on a particular body of water, as no two fished the same. Basically used Mitchell 300's with 6'6 and 7' med action rods and 8 lb-10 lb Stren clear. Then worked into Ambassaduer 5000 baitcasters with 6'6 Med action rods and 10-12lb Stren.
I obtained what ever maps printed or home made i could get my hands on. In 1975 I obtained my 1st Lowrance Green Box, opened my eyes to a whole new world. In 1978 I caught my biggest walleye ever (31" 10lb)off the mouth of the Rapid River in the 15ft trench on the east side of Little Bay De Noc using a Black & Silver 3" original Rapala. Use the equipment that works for you and the particular body of water.
Lowrance Hook2 5 SplitShot Bow
2007 Mercury 5HP Kicker when needed
2020 Ford F-150 SuperCrew XLT 2.7 ECO
Old 04-03-2020, 07:45 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Unless someone corrects me, line counters count spool revolutions, not feet of line out. A full spool compared to a 3/4 spool has a very different amount of line out at a "100' reading.
Really?? I always thought line counters showed feet of line out. Spool revolutions isn't really helpful info. That's disappointing. I'm rethinking the need for line counters now.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:56 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0ckwave View Post
Really?? I always thought line counters showed feet of line out. Spool revolutions isn't really helpful info. That's disappointing. I'm rethinking the need for line counters now.
You have to calibrate your linecounter. Spool on line until you think it's about right,do not cut off of the spool yet. Go into your yard and have 100' marked off. Zero your counter and secure line at one end of your 100' mark then walk it out to your known measurement of 100'. Look at your counter and see what it reads ,if its at or around 100' then your good if not take line off or add line accordingly until 100 on the counter equals 100 feet of actual line. Now your linecounters are accurate in measurement.

Having linecounter reels are immensely helpful to repeat a presentation that is catching fish, and to put your lures in the strike zone according to your marks on the graph.
Minn kota 72" 112lb 36v Terrova
Simrad nss evo2 12
BG Zeus2 12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
Lowrance 3d
2 Cannon tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Old 04-03-2020, 09:49 PM
Slot Fish

The Troll Master app is now free to download, and you get 7 lures for free to get a feel for the app...
Old 04-03-2020, 10:06 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollMasterCalculator View Post
The Troll Master app is now free to download, and you get 7 lures for free to get a feel for the app...
Did they stop making the waterproof book & want us to pay for their app instead these days?
Old 04-03-2020, 10:13 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Did they stop making the waterproof book & want us to pay for their app instead these days?

The Troll Master App is different from the Precision Trolling Data app/book. The Troll Master App uses a physics based calculation to determine lure depth, those other guys read back the depth results for a specific lure/rig. My app can generate a solution for a wide range of line types, trolling weights, divers, lures, speeds, etc...