Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Bait caster for first timer - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 09-24-2020, 10:22 PM
Minnow

Default Bait caster for first timer

Friends,
Wondering if it is worth buying the Shimano bait caster with the digital control microchip. Does anyone have any experience with this real? If so, do you think the learning curve is shortened. Is the bait caster A decent real for a walleye guy. As always, really appreciate all I learned from this website

Tool
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2020, 10:40 PM
Keeper

I'm not familiar with that model. But whatever you start with, don't use braid to learn. Start with cheap thick mono to learn how to cast. Backlashes are a B****
Lowrance Elite 7ti (x2)
Pulled by 2020 Chevy Trail Boss
Old 09-25-2020, 05:42 AM
Wallhanger

Default Follow-Up

Greetings,

I think of bait caster style reels and walleyes in terms of trolling, maybe pulling bottom bouncers. This does not mean that a bait caster could not be used for other applications.

The best advice that I can offer about learning to use a bait casting reel is to have an experienced bait caster show you how to go about casting such a reel. It's not that difficult to do, but there is a learning curve. Properly adjusting the brake is a key step in setting up the reel to efficiently cast. After that, it comes down to learning how to use your thumb in controlling the playing out of line.

I exclusively use bait casting reels when targeting northern pike and muskies.

Good fishing and tight lines!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2020, 08:52 AM
Wallhanger

The DC models definitely help with backlash issues, especially if you are a beginner. They will still backlash, just not as frequently as the non digital models. Backlashes are part of the game, you will learn how to fix them and they won't be as big of a deal. Regardless, you are on the right track, i.e. spend the money on a quality baitcast and you will be much happier. Buy a cheap one, as a beginner, and you will throw it away, give it away, or just turn it into a paper weight.

As far as walleye apps go, if you are looking for a reel for "just" bottom bouncing, lindys, and trolling, there are better options out there. The DC would be overkill in my opinion.

If you are into casting stuff, like cranks, plastics, and the like, the baitcasters definitely have a place. I always have one or two rigged up, but truthfully find myself more and more relying on spinning tackle, esp for finesse plastics. My Shimano Curados are more for largemouths/pike/etc.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:53 PM
Keeper

Thumbs up Curado DC.

If you have the coin - go for it.

Shimano makes two digital control (DC) models: the SLX DC and the Curado DC. The Curado DC is a superior reel due to gears meshing with finer teeth. The DC does help prevent backlash but the overall quality of the real also helps with that too.

The Curado’s spool spins easily - we found we could use it to cast lighter lures more than any of our other baitcasters (other curados, diawa tatula, higher end Bass Pro reels). Great casting distance too.

If your walleye fishing includes casting and reeling it in this is a great match. However, it might be kinda a waste trolling, jigging, slip bobbering. Like the other post said - good match for bass fishing (pike too).

To answer your question more directly - yes the Digital control will shorten your learning curve.

Last edited by Mr. Sauger; 09-25-2020 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:06 PM
Wallhanger

I like bait casters on my trolling rods and keep one good one (Quantum Smoke) in the boat for throwing spoons chasing Pike. Most all of the newer ones are a lot easier to use than the old ones most of us grew up with. Plenty of help on the internet with videos to help with the learning curve. Like anything else practice will make the experience better.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:21 AM
Keeper

I can't think of a casting situation for a typical walleye lure that spinning gear is not a better option. For walleye trolling applications you would be better off with a line counter reel.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:56 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcoop52 View Post
I like bait casters on my trolling rods and keep one good one (Quantum Smoke) in the boat for throwing spoons chasing Pike. Most all of the newer ones are a lot easier to use than the old ones most of us grew up with. Plenty of help on the internet with videos to help with the learning curve. Like anything else practice will make the experience better.
Looking for some inexpensive level wind reels/bait caster reels to use for jigging and bottom bouncing. I have two good bait casting reels for casting. SUGGESTIONS ?

2019 Ford F-350 Super Duty, 6.7 Power Stroke Diesel
Old 09-26-2020, 08:58 AM
Wallhanger

I use my baitcasters when trolling or drifting a single rod where it will be in my hands and not in a rod holder. Also use them when snap jigging Erie in April with 1 oz jigs or 3/4 ounce bladebaits.

This year I switched to all left handed baitcasters so i had to replace 8 of them and didn't want to break the bank. So i went with Kast King . No its not a Shimano or even like my old Daiwa TD2HI reels that i loved but for an entry reel is pretty good.
A tip on setting them up to cast- use the coarse adjustment knob to get the bait to fall at about a foot a second. Now this is all I had to do with my Daiwa reels and almost never had a backlash but with the Kast King i was getting repeated bird nests, almost gave up on them. I then set the fine adjustment magnetic brake on the side to the midway point and boom it was on. I couldn't birdnest them if i tried. I started do the bassmaster 2 hand mega cast where it sounds like a golf club whipping through the air and no backlash, just big long casts. Reel really impressed me.
Minn kota 72" 112lb 36v Terrova
Simrad nss evo2 12
BG Zeus2 12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
Lowrance 3d
2 Cannon tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Old 09-27-2020, 12:09 AM
Minnow

Default Baitcaster

I use baitcaster reels exclusively......NO spinners for mep

I agree with all the above info posted. When I first started using them, a few decades ago, I got cheap line, and tied a washer to the end of it. I set a 5 gal bucket out about 5 yds away and cast until I was confident to hitting it, and not getting a lot of bird nests. Then, it was 10 yds, 15, 20,etc. Nowadays, I still hit a day where I get distracted or am not paying attention, but the nests are few and far between. I still have moments though!

I get made fun of a lot with my crew, but not many of them can place a rig in spots I can and not get hung up. It is a skill that takes practice and time. Once you get it, its like riding a bike.

I have never spent an insane amount on any reel. I actually love my old, and I mean old Abu Garcia's. But my fav. is a Lew's reel that is about 15 years old. It has been through a lot, and still just keeps casting. I did break down, and buy a M and W Skeet Reece reel a couple years back just b/c it was too sweet to pass up. It mainly gets used back here hooking bass.

I have a great story from about 10 years back. I had an old Abu spooled with Spider Wire that I was using to catch northern's on. I set the hook, but the old boy spit it out, and hooked into a long that was about 10 inches in dia. I managed to unwedge the log and haul it in from about 10 foot of water. It was about 5 feet long, and was the biggest catch that year

Good luck!