Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Camps for sale - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 09-22-2020, 03:43 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gstringer View Post
I can think of nothing better to do than to spend a week a year fishing in Ontario. If I have to be at any of those camps full time I would be on suicide watch. You can only watch so much hockey and drink so much beer
You can fish every day if you want ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2020, 07:25 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye2242 View Post
With the past year and all that is going on.....Are there Camps for sale? Even with the past year...i would still buy a camp and try to make a go of it. Any camps for sale?
Skip the thought of that headache, instead just buy a cabin and enjoy it. Fishing tourism is on a downward spiral, the clients are getting older...not a tremendous amount of replacements on the horizon.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:41 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon View Post

Skip the thought of that headache, instead just buy a cabin and enjoy it. Fishing tourism is on a downward spiral, the clients are getting older...not a tremendous amount of replacements on the horizon.
Although I wish your comments were off, the writing is on the wall and I agree with you.

I just think the way kids interact everything is digital and they could care less about spending 15 hours driving in the bush for a week without having a headset on playing militia fairy tale games.

There’s 3 in my crew 76 and over and the drive n trips get harder on them every year. I feel for them and will miss them when they throw in the towel as there’s not much of a pipeline of replacements interested in going.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2020, 07:59 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichA$1970 View Post
Although I wish your comments were off, the writing is on the wall and I agree with you.

I just think the way kids interact everything is digital and they could care less about spending 15 hours driving in the bush for a week without having a headset on playing militia fairy tale games.

Thereís 3 in my crew 76 and over and the drive n trips get harder on them every year. I feel for them and will miss them when they throw in the towel as thereís not much of a pipeline of replacements interested in going.
Iím 66 and Iíll be interested until Iím in the hole,so keep me in mind if your going to a dynamite lake,but we better use fishing poles
Old 09-23-2020, 08:47 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichA$1970 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon View Post

There’s 3 in my crew 76 and over and the drive n trips get harder on them every year. I feel for them and will miss them when they throw in the towel as there’s not much of a pipeline of replacements interested in going.
I think it is all about how you get them involved. Our group is getting older but now we have sons involved. All of them are ready to go fishing at any time to Canada. I started my son at 9 and this was his first year without and you talk about upset and ready to go twice next year and yes he spends plenty of screen time at home. We are even throwing in a curve ball next year and taking my sister and my nieces on one of my Canadian trips. Even though we think kids just enjoy the screen time there are some that enjoy disconnecting just as much as I do by going somewhere technology doesn’t work. Those that say the younger generation doesn’t want to go I disagree sometimes it’s just about taking them along and getting them involved, my son does the fire at shore lunch so he feels like a big deal. Yes it changes the trip but everyone that has had their kids come along had always said it was their best trip ever in my group.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:18 AM
Wallhanger

The industry has changed a lot over the past 50 years. I don't think that overall fishing based tourism is on a downward trend. At least not the way many think it is.

First... 50 years ago, there were tons of tiny "resorts". 3 cabin places where the owners rented out two building just to make a little money. Those have almost all gone private at this point. So, that raises demand on the functioning resorts. Then, there are the resorts that have been privatized by larger corporations. They purchase a full resort, and turn it into their "club" for their clients and employees only. Plus many have been purchased by families, and now do not operate.

All that said... fishing as an industry isn't going anywhere, anytime soon. Even if a smaller percentage of people enjoy fishing, our population is increasing. There are more dollars spent in the fishing tourism business right now that there were 20 years ago. 20 years ago though... no one in their right mind would have even thought about purchasing a $75,000 ranger.

Just my opinion, and understanding my market. We have older guests, and younger guests. As time goes by, people pass away... other people reach "retirement" ages. They seem to take up the sport more frequently. People are living "retired" lives longer than they used to, and it seems that has put some high demand on resorts. I would say you'd have a hard time finding a resort that was struggling to find guests, until this year. That doesn't mean the business is incredibly profitable. It really is only so-so. However, those who love it would never change what they do for a living. I personally make a comfortable living (less than $100,000 per year for household income) with no savings account. However, you could triple my salary, and give me unbelievable benefits... and I don't think I'd switch jobs to a 8-5 M-F. I love what I do, and where I get to be. Happiness is better than $$$.

Anyhow, there are going to be a bunch of resorts for sale in the spring time. I doubt anyone is going to sell right now for several reasons.... we have no clue if a bailout is coming. There are rumblings that we may finally be getting some help. Also, it will be very hard to sell if 75% of your potential buyers aren't able to cross the border to look at it. There aren't going to be any super steals (most likely) until the dust settles.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:02 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obabikon View Post
The industry has changed a lot over the past 50 years. I don't think that overall fishing based tourism is on a downward trend. At least not the way many think it is.

First... 50 years ago, there were tons of tiny "resorts". 3 cabin places where the owners rented out two building just to make a little money. Those have almost all gone private at this point. So, that raises demand on the functioning resorts. Then, there are the resorts that have been privatized by larger corporations. They purchase a full resort, and turn it into their "club" for their clients and employees only. Plus many have been purchased by families, and now do not operate.

All that said... fishing as an industry isn't going anywhere, anytime soon. Even if a smaller percentage of people enjoy fishing, our population is increasing. There are more dollars spent in the fishing tourism business right now that there were 20 years ago. 20 years ago though... no one in their right mind would have even thought about purchasing a $75,000 ranger.

Just my opinion, and understanding my market. We have older guests, and younger guests. As time goes by, people pass away... other people reach "retirement" ages. They seem to take up the sport more frequently. People are living "retired" lives longer than they used to, and it seems that has put some high demand on resorts. I would say you'd have a hard time finding a resort that was struggling to find guests, until this year. That doesn't mean the business is incredibly profitable. It really is only so-so. However, those who love it would never change what they do for a living. I personally make a comfortable living (less than $100,000 per year for household income) with no savings account. However, you could triple my salary, and give me unbelievable benefits... and I don't think I'd switch jobs to a 8-5 M-F. I love what I do, and where I get to be. Happiness is better than $$$.

Anyhow, there are going to be a bunch of resorts for sale in the spring time. I doubt anyone is going to sell right now for several reasons.... we have no clue if a bailout is coming. There are rumblings that we may finally be getting some help. Also, it will be very hard to sell if 75% of your potential buyers aren't able to cross the border to look at it. There aren't going to be any super steals (most likely) until the dust settles.
I agree with Obabikon on his view of where our business is at. I don't think we need to worry about declining anglers. Solitude, clean water, rocks / trees may become more important in the overall "experience" moving forward....having the option to have quality fishing is a bonus. There are fewer and fewer places you can travel to to get this.

In terms of buying a camp, if all that you want is to make a good deal but don't have the passion to follow through with actually running this type of business then my advice is forget about it. If you think owning a camp will give you all the time you want to hunt and fish...you shoulc just rent a cabin for the season...you will be much happier. If you want the lifestyle then by all means there could be some opportunities coming....
Old 09-24-2020, 12:12 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obabikon View Post

My dad used to tell me "Money cant buy happiness but it doesn't hurt either "
Old 09-24-2020, 05:37 PM
Slot Fish

My daddy used to say "Life is like a crap sandwich, the more bread you have the less crap you have to eat."
Old 09-24-2020, 05:53 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da' Walleye Assassun View Post
My daddy used to say "Life is like a crap sandwich, the more bread you have the less crap you have to eat."
That was worth a chuckle