Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
hunting for walleyes - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 10-19-2020, 05:51 PM
Minnow

Angry hunting for walleyes

Help! Just like the rest of you our Canada trip didn't happen. Went to Lake Vermillion instead and that was a complete bust the first week of September. The lake was just too big to figure out in a week. Others who had switched their trip here also had no luck. Six of us didn't bring home one keeper! would like to find a smaller lake in MN or possibly South Dakota.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2020, 06:16 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubody View Post
Help! Just like the rest of you our Canada trip didn't happen. Went to Lake Vermillion instead and that was a complete bust the first week of September. The lake was just too big to figure out in a week. Others who had switched their trip here also had no luck. Six of us didn't bring home one keeper! would like to find a smaller lake in MN or possibly South Dakota.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Lake Winnibigoshish

https://www.thepinesresort.com/
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes

Last edited by bbheli; 10-19-2020 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:53 PM
Keeper

Winni is approximately 20ish sqmi bigger than vermillion, don’t think that’s what he’s looking for....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2020, 08:38 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubody View Post
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Lake V. can be a tough lake to fish, I would look at Leech Lake. On a map It’s a big lake but it’s like fishing multiple lakes. If you stay on Agency bay it’s easy access to Walker Bay which has very good fishing or you can take the canal and access the big part of the lake. Hire a guide for 1/2 a day and you’ll learn a lot, there’s lots of guides on Leech. Agency bay is nice especially when the wind is blowing.

Last edited by 7 Mag; 10-19-2020 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:01 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmbkiller View Post
Winni is approximately 20ish sqmi bigger than vermillion, don€™t think that€™s what he€™s looking for....
I know but its loaded with structure and he will catch fish. Never had a bad trip there and I think its easier to find Walleye vs Lake Vermillion, opposite extreme smaller hidden gems like Fish hook 1600 acres or Lake Andrew.
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes

Last edited by bbheli; 10-19-2020 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:17 PM
Slot Fish

If your main goal is just to catch walleyes I would suggest Pools 4-9 of the Mississippi River, Red Lake, Devils Lake, or the Glacial Lakes area (SD).

On Red Lake you can just follow the crowds. On the others you will need to hire a guide for at least a day.

The MN Glacial Shield Lakes have been heavily fished by knowledgeable fishermen for years. They can provide a marvelous fishing experience and can mirror the scenery of Canada, but never (extremely rarely) match the actual catching during a one week trip.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:48 PM
Minnow

Thanks. What can you tell me about Fishhook and Andrew?
Old 10-29-2020, 05:24 PM
Minnow

Did you have a plan ? What I mean you need to look at contor lake maps in advance look for Walleye spots then go fish them for 15-20 minutes if no fish on to the next spot.
I fished LOW with a rented 16ft-18ft 25hp tiller and a flasher and always caught fish out of Kenora but I could not travel to far with only 6gallons of gas.
If you are trying to figure it out on the Dock you are behind.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:32 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100 Remington Man View Post
Did you have a plan ? What I mean you need to look at contor lake maps in advance look for Walleye spots then go fish them for 15-20 minutes if no fish on to the next spot.
I fished LOW with a rented 16ft-18ft 25hp tiller and a flasher and always caught fish out of Kenora but I could not travel to far with only 6gallons of gas.
If you are trying to figure it out on the Dock you are behind.
Didn't you have paddles ?

That is the biggest mistake people make. They don't have a plan or they loose track of the plan once they get on the water. When you watch a football game the coach has a laminated play sheet "cheat sheet" outlining every play combination and usually based on all the video and experience they learn from watching that team.

Unless I am just going out to run the boat test or play I always create a play book by way of laminated sheet. I outline where, what and how and I accommodate for a change in the weather and conditions. When I hit the water I am full prepared for a productive day. When I return I record what I used what worked and where and I update my sheet for that water and have a second side based on seasons. It usually never lets me down.
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes