Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Faster boat, Lund or Ranger - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 10-22-2020, 08:44 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kliph View Post
You and "guest"are wrong: https://youtu.be/_U9Y0m1JhHA
Good video, and from close to home too. Lesser Slave gets NASTY.

Not sure what it has to do with the OPís comparison though...

Waxy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2020, 11:22 AM
Keeper

Ha ha! That's my video!

I'm still amazed that it has that many views. My fishing partner doesn't find it nearly as amusing as I do! Of course he's the one that got wet!

I can tell you 100% for certain that was operator error and not at all the fault of the 2011 Ranger 620vs that I was driving. I throttled into that wave and speared it. It was about the millionth big wave of the morning. Lesser Slave is over 60 miles long and is 90% completely open to the wind, and it is ALWAYS blowing. The waves are usually 1-2 feet with a mild wind, that day they were 3-4 feet with a few 6's every 20th wave or so just for fun.

I think I speared 2 waves while I owned that boat and happen to catch that one on camera That was a NASTY tournament day.

Worst part was they cancelled the tournament after we got to Driftpile (Waxy you know how far away that is) and we had 2 really nice walleye in the live well!

Lesser Slave is my home base. I can tell you that my 2011 620VS was, and my new 2018 620FS Ranger is, faster and dryer than most Lund's on that particular lake. Except for maybe my buddy's 208 GL. That boat takes the waves nicely but isn't quite as fast.

To date, I've only come across 4 boats faster than my current one. So far! But there will be a lot more soon with the amount of 400 Verado's being bolted on these days.

- 21' Champion with a 350SCR Verado
- 21' Yarcraft with a 450SCR Verado

- 21' Yarcraft with the Seven Marine 527 (crazy fast)

- A new 621 Ranger FS Pro with a 400 Verado at Nipawin last month

Top three will do over 70mph.... one WELL over...LOL The 621 was High 60's I think he told me he was getting 67.8

I regularly pass Lunds with 300 Verado's on them. Though, there was a 2175 Lund with a 350 Verado that was the exact same top speed as my 620FS Ranger at Nipawin. We were side by side doing 61.8 MPH... unless he was holding back, but I don't think so. He had 100HP more than me, but was a 21'.

In my experience, Lund's generally aren't quite as fast of a hull, They take the waves pretty darn well. The GL's are a bit better in the really rough stuff.

My personal opinion, regularly fishing on a big lake with pretty big waves and doing a LOT of shotgun start tournaments that really tell you the true top speed of a lot of boats with full fuel tanks and a full tournament load of gear.

(of course this has a lot do do with weather the boat is a 20' or 21')

Yarcraft and Ranger are a little faster, and always seem to be out front on long runs to the tournament boundaries. Both handle waves very well if you drive them correctly. Ranger seems to be a (slightly) faster hull with equal HP

Warrior is not quite as fast. But MAYBE take the waves a little better. Owners claim much better... I'd say a bit better in some conditions.

Lund's Aluminum are usually the slowest of the four with equal HP, they take the waves very well if driven properly... I wouldn't say as well as the other 3, but definitely not bad at all. Aluminum boats don't track nearly as well, but are great back trollers. If you're into running a vantage...

Lund GL's track better than aluminum ones of course, aren't quite as fast as Yarcraft or Ranger, a little faster than some warriors.

Though new HP ratings on Warriors and Ranger PRO models may change the above statement a lot.

I was pleasently surprised this summer. My 2018 620FS with a G2 250 HO was slightly faster than a buddy's (and two other) 2020 620FS V8 300HP Pro XS all summer... but he has gained a bit now that break in is completely finished. He says he is now getting 61mph from (59mph previously)... I might need a BRAVO FS if I want to stay ahead of him now!
Old 10-22-2020, 01:54 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalman View Post
Ha ha! That's my video!

I'm still amazed that it has that many views. My fishing partner doesn't find it nearly as amusing as I do! Of course he's the one that got wet!

I can tell you 100% for certain that was operator error and not at all the fault of the 2011 Ranger 620vs that I was driving. I throttled into that wave and speared it. It was about the millionth big wave of the morning. Lesser Slave is over 60 miles long and is 90% completely open to the wind, and it is ALWAYS blowing. The waves are usually 1-2 feet with a mild wind, that day they were 3-4 feet with a few 6's every 20th wave or so just for fun.

I think I speared 2 waves while I owned that boat and happen to catch that one on camera That was a NASTY tournament day.

Worst part was they cancelled the tournament after we got to Driftpile (Waxy you know how far away that is) and we had 2 really nice walleye in the live well!

Lesser Slave is my home base. I can tell you that my 2011 620VS was, and my new 2018 620FS Ranger is, faster and dryer than most Lund's on that particular lake. Except for maybe my buddy's 208 GL. That boat takes the waves nicely but isn't quite as fast.

To date, I've only come across 4 boats faster than my current one. So far! But there will be a lot more soon with the amount of 400 Verado's being bolted on these days.

- 21' Champion with a 350SCR Verado
- 21' Yarcraft with a 450SCR Verado

- 21' Yarcraft with the Seven Marine 527 (crazy fast)

- A new 621 Ranger FS Pro with a 400 Verado at Nipawin last month

Top three will do over 70mph.... one WELL over...LOL The 621 was High 60's I think he told me he was getting 67.8

I regularly pass Lunds with 300 Verado's on them. Though, there was a 2175 Lund with a 350 Verado that was the exact same top speed as my 620FS Ranger at Nipawin. We were side by side doing 61.8 MPH... unless he was holding back, but I don't think so. He had 100HP more than me, but was a 21'.

In my experience, Lund's generally aren't quite as fast of a hull, They take the waves pretty darn well. The GL's are a bit better in the really rough stuff.

My personal opinion, regularly fishing on a big lake with pretty big waves and doing a LOT of shotgun start tournaments that really tell you the true top speed of a lot of boats with full fuel tanks and a full tournament load of gear.

(of course this has a lot do do with weather the boat is a 20' or 21')

Yarcraft and Ranger are a little faster, and always seem to be out front on long runs to the tournament boundaries. Both handle waves very well if you drive them correctly. Ranger seems to be a (slightly) faster hull with equal HP

Warrior is not quite as fast. But MAYBE take the waves a little better. Owners claim much better... I'd say a bit better in some conditions.

Lund's Aluminum are usually the slowest of the four with equal HP, they take the waves very well if driven properly... I wouldn't say as well as the other 3, but definitely not bad at all. Aluminum boats don't track nearly as well, but are great back trollers. If you're into running a vantage...

Lund GL's track better than aluminum ones of course, aren't quite as fast as Yarcraft or Ranger, a little faster than some warriors.

Though new HP ratings on Warriors and Ranger PRO models may change the above statement a lot.

I was pleasently surprised this summer. My 2018 620FS with a G2 250 HO was slightly faster than a buddy's (and two other) 2020 620FS V8 300HP Pro XS all summer... but he has gained a bit now that break in is completely finished. He says he is now getting 61mph from (59mph previously)... I might need a BRAVO FS if I want to stay ahead of him now!
We'll have to get you out in a 208 on Slave or the Mountain.

That's the normal progression- skepticism -> test ride -> epiphany -> ownership -> telling ("claiming") others how amazing the Warrior ride is.

Waxy

P.S. I had a huge lead on that Yarcraft 219 with 450R at Rowans when it was rough, when we rounded the corner at Fox's and the 3-4 ft'ers became 1 ft'ers, he was reeling me in like I was standing still lol. He was EASILY doing mid 70s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2020, 01:55 PM
Keeper

** Sorry about the above ramblings. I was editing it and was logged out.

Finally...To the OP: The Ranger should be faster, the rough water performance should be very similar. The 1975 Lund Tyee has a more aggressive rough water keel, but the 2080MS Ranger is a bigger boat by almost a full foot. 11" makes a big difference.
Old 10-22-2020, 02:00 PM
Keeper

[/QUOTE] P.S. I had a huge lead on that Yarcraft 219 with 450R at Rowans when it was rough, when we rounded the corner at Fox's and the 3-4 ft'ers became 1 ft'ers, he was reeling me in like I was standing still lol. He was EASILY doing mid 70s.[/QUOTE]

Yes sir! The 450R cuts back power until it reaches full operating temperature. He didn't let it fully warm up at one tournament before the gun. A lot of boats went by... and then it came by like we were barely even moving! It's a very impressive boat!

And yes. i need to drive a Warrior one day. Maybe you or Jeff will let me drive one some day
Old 10-23-2020, 01:29 PM
Confused "guest"

Default I don't own a ranger and won't but come on.

Quote:
Ranger is faster in flat water, Lund is better in rough water.
Check YouTube.
Still waiting for your reasoning here. What does a decade old boat that isn't the same hull as the 2080 have to do with this discussion. All you have done so far is make yourself look like a Lund fanboy.
Old 10-23-2020, 01:35 PM
Keeper

If there is driver error almost anyboat will take one over the front. Every once in a while dads 2050 Crestline would take one on lake Michigan.
I've had my 2016 1850 reata only take 2 over the front. One was driver error. The other I probably should not have been on mille lacs
Old 10-23-2020, 06:16 PM
Keeper

Quote:
You and "guest"are wrong: https://youtu.be/_U9Y0m1JhHA
So you think the heavier boat with a lower power to weight ratio is faster? And the lighter boat is going to ride better in rough water?
Old 10-23-2020, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMBin303 View Post
So you think the heavier boat with a lower power to weight ratio is faster? And the lighter boat is going to ride better in rough water?

You got it about right. Having had both glass and tin boats I do know something about them.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:18 AM
Keeper

Just look at Lund's website guys. Even they say the 1975 Tyee is a slower boat.

The 2021 1975 Tyee with a 225 Pro XS will do 53 mph under optimal conditions.

The 2080MS with a 250 Pro XS will do 58.1 mph under optimal conditions.

There's really nothing to debate here. The Ranger is a faster boat by over 5mph.