Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lund IPS vs Alumacraft 2XB...let's do this. - Page 5 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 10-29-2020, 12:02 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomP. View Post
When I had my Lund for me I hated the wide gunnels, made it so hard to reach over, release and net fish I like the lower rod lockers as I can kneel on them or stand on them to net or release fish and just gives the boat a more open feel. When casting I can stand on them to get that little extra height that just feels right as being an X Bass guy.
My TS 185 (2006) has wide gunnels and I like them ... but they're low gunnels and are easy to step onto - one can walk around the boat on the gunnels. At the dock, they're usually pretty much at the same level so getting on the boat is a step onto the gunnel then down onto the floor. No leg lifting. I think I'd appreciate the Trophy's wide gunnels less and would prefer the Competitor Sport's narrow ones. I do like the Competitor 205's huge casting deck - that's really nice.

Also, in spite of the low freeboard, my boat runs dry in the choppiest of waters on Lake Pend O'Rielle (Idaho) - I'm quite impressed with the 2XB hull and its ability to keep water out to the sides. I'm not sure about the present, but I seem to recall that at the time my boat was made only the Trophy and the TS Sport had double-plated hulls and were subsequently quite a bit heavier.

I do think that the Lund reverse chine style is more advanced and difficult to fabricate and is probably a faster hull, unlike my boat's deep-V that seems to cleave through the water losing forward momentum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2020, 12:18 AM
Wallhanger

Boys boys boys. Cant we get along.

Everyone is right.

IPS (and its variations) is a tradename. Not a patent.

Lund uses it to describe a flat pad and/or a wide strake. That is not a new concept and shared by many boats.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:15 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW View Post

Everyone is right.

Lund uses it to describe a flat pad and/or a wide strake. That is not a new concept and shared by many boats.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
DJT 2020
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2020, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

I've fished out of both boats, own one of them, and while there are distinct differences, they are both fine boats. Evaluating the best "dealer" is a significant part of the decision in my thoughts.

The Lund IPS, IPS II hull will ride higher on the water when it is on plane - due to the so-called pad. That will allow the boat to be in comparison faster, and ride rougher. The Lund additional width in the water will also allow for a bit more stability when at slow / no speed - during fishing time.

The Alumacraft - with a "V" running all the way to the rear of the boat will ride a little bit smoother when on plane as it is cutting into the waves more. It will also stay deeper in the water when on plane so with more water touching the hull, it will be a bit slower. The Alumacraft is also narrower for the part of the boat that is in the water, so it will be a little less stable, and sit a little deeper in the water when carrying the same weight loads.

The double hull - one brand on the complete hull, the other for a portion of the hull - is really a non-factor for me. At most, one is a little bit heavier than the other, but it's aluminum, so even that is negligible.

The wide gunnel models, Lund has a solid surface, and Alumacraft has a carpeted surface. The carpet is more comfortable to sit on, until it gets wet then it's not. It's just 2 different ways of doing it.

If one is lacking a quality dealership, then the decision is made easier. That to me is the biggest factor in looking at these two brands.

Both require a prop that will allow the best experience on the water, and with the differences in these 2 hulls, the best prop will not be the same for both brands. I'm of the opinion there are many of these boats that are propped wrong, and the owners enjoyment could be improved by having a prop with the correct characteristics. But then the whole prop selection goes right back to what I stated earlier - the better dealer will be able to help with the prop selection process.

Either one, you better like what you buy, because it will be around for a long time.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:47 PM
Slot Fish

Default Lund IPS vs Alumacraft

Can you narrow it down a bit? Budgets, hull style, floor layout, storage, motor HP ranges etc. come into play almost more than Lund IPS vs Alumacraft. Using a car analogy, Mercedes runs 50k thru 250k and all are still Mercedes

- my 1st boat was an 2000 Alumacraft 16' Lunker, 40 hp tiller- fit the budget, did the job
- 2nd was a 19' huge depth deep-v 2003 Monark King 190 & it was the bottom of the barrel... Out of business now (garbage boat, but was thousands cheaper than other comparable makes). Fun sad fact with this line: They made some with aluminum floors but were made so cheap, gunnels flexed so badly the floors bend & warped (true story, per the dealer to me)
- 3rd was a 2005 Lund 2025 Pro-V
- 4th was a 2019 Lund 2075 Pro-V, and I was torn btwn a 1975 or the 2015 (there's a $14k difference & Lund could not explain why other than "it's a foot biggger" yet the 2075 to 1975 was only around 4k more so the 14k didn't add up... After getting the boat, I can absolutely explain why.

'Nuff os that stuff. Polar Kraft cannot use a IPS or IPS2 hull because it's copyrighted by Lund. Polar Kraft can't "have the same hull" as some posted before because that's copyrighted by Lund; every boat company probably does the same

I fish from the bow, about 80% of my time. The 2075's bow is huge compared to any other boat that I looked at. I didn't really want fiberglass for no particular reason.

Some comment on IPS2 but you're asking about IPS. Different boats by Lund. Lower end models use IPS. Some Lunds have composite transoms, some models don't. No clue about Alumacraft.

Some Lunds have double rivets, last I knew Alumacraft did not.

If you are considering vinyl floors instead of carpeting, Lund is solid & not slick when wet. I fell in a dew covered Starcraft. No clue about Alumacraft.

Some are commenting on "more fuel efficient".. Unless maybe a boat that has a 40, 50 HP then it matters? The old Lund had 250 Verado, the new 1 has a Merc 300 XPS Pro. Fuel is in gallons per hour. Both converted to something like 3 mpg. "Good" with a boat is like 3.3 mpg. Irrelevant thru my eyes- MPG sucks overall with bigger motors. I think it's splitting hairs talking about fuel "efficiency" with boats.

Some Lunds use I-Beams inside the hull. Don't know about Alumacraft. Last I knew most others don't use IBeams.

Lund offers a lifetime warranty on the floor (no clue if it's all models or not).. Take the overall warranty into consideration also.

I'm a Lund Pro-V fan but I don't think anyone would go wrong with an Alumacraft. I fish, tube, ski, hit lakes where my main lake is a 9.9 hp max (the 300 is my 2nd motor) + some electric only lakes & a bunch of big lakes in the Adirondacks (NY).

This is my 2 cents worth so pls take it for what it's worth

Happy Fishing!!!
Old 10-30-2020, 01:41 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW View Post

Everyone is right.

Hmmm?
There is a little sticker on the port side the transom of Lund models that have IPS hulls (almost all Lund models have IPS nowadays) The sticker says:

"Integrated Power Strake Hull
United States Patent
# 6,886,489
# 7,341,231
Old 10-30-2020, 02:02 PM
Wallhanger

Geez Terry, way to crush ‘em.
Old 10-30-2020, 03:20 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post
Geez Terry, way to crush ‘em.
Crush that LUND alright...........LOL . . . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lund.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	322198  
DJT 2020
Old 10-30-2020, 07:00 PM
William Wallace

So lets summarize.

DW and Bobby wrong on IPS patent.

Bobby has an engine that has been discontinued.

He drives an antique truck, lowest rated and lowest sales rank.

More LUND with IPS hulls are sold in one year, than polar craps sold in past 20.

Bobby is a name for a child, try Bob or Robert.

Second thought, Bobby fits perfectly.

Carry on!
Old 10-31-2020, 04:53 AM
Wallhanger

"Integrated Power Strake Hull
United States Patent
# 6,886,489
# 7,341,231

Both of these Patent numbers don't seem to have anything to do with a IPS hull........

https://patents.google.com/patent/US6886489B2/en

https://portal.unifiedpatents.com/pa.../US-7341231-B2

Meanwhile this picture does seem to show the same type hull as a IPS hull.........

Bobby having LOTS of fun proving Minnedota Fats Wrong AGAIN ! ! !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0212.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	480.8 KB
ID:	322210  
DJT 2020

Last edited by Bobby Winds; 10-31-2020 at 04:57 AM.