Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Printer ink - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 07-16-2019, 11:33 AM
Wallhanger

Default Printer ink

I bought a new printer in May its a HP Envy 7858. Ink is getting low, so I went to Costco to price ink. It would cost me 87.00 for a a black HY and a tri color HY. I priced a new printer, and my exact printer is on sale for 119.00. Now, buy the expensive ink, get remanufactured ink or buy another new printer for 32.00 more????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2019, 11:44 AM
Wallhanger

I buy online, usually switching around to find best deal at the time.

First stop for yours:

https://www.inkjets.com/hp-64xl-combo-pack-small.html

About the same price you quoted at Costco, free shipping, but comes with a 2nd HY black cartridge. May be better out there, was just the first I looked at.

Always kinda been that way for printer/ink. I got a printer I like and works, so I am not interested in changing/replacing...just get the best ink deal I can find.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

many times, new printers come with "starter" cartridges, smaller than normal ones. The standard HP 64 2-pack can be had for $40, the 64XL set at Costco looks to be $74 plus tax.

https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-64...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.costco.cohttps://store.h...100383157.html

If you go thru a LOT of ink like I do, the buy 2 get $23 off deal at Costco is pretty good.

HRG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2019, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

FF,
The first thing to do, is to unplug your new printer, turn around and drop it into the trash along with any supplies for it.

Then, go over to the place where you found printers on sale and pick up a nice black and white laser printer for the price of the new supply of ink.

Then, any time that you need to have anything printed in color, save the file to a jump drive and go over to Kinko, wallmart or other, put in your jump drive, edit your files and or pictures and push print and pay for the modest amount for the hard copies of your files or pictures.

Then, go on line or e-bay on line and pick up a new bottle of toner and counter reset chip for about $20 which will give you another 6000 pages of black and white pages to be printed.

Never dry ink, never not having ink, and very quick printing of your black and white files and other that you may need.

----------------------------------------------------------------
I think that the current price of retail ink is about $500 per gallon for the product.

Black print toner is very inexpensive.

Toner never dries out or goes bad under normal use and storage conditions.

-----------------------------
For example:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/brother...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Examples of cartridges, with and without the counter ship for the printer listed above:
https://123refills.com/cic/eg/tonerp...other+HL-L2370

Note the extra high capacity toner cartridges that will print 4500 pages before needing replacement.

---------------------------------

Here are a pair of toner cartridges that each will print 2500 pages for $20 or 2500 pages for $10 worth of toner.

https://www.amazon.com/Ink-Replaceme...oducts&sr=1-17

Be safe
Old 07-18-2019, 07:47 AM
Keeper

I have also had many printers and the ink is of course where they get you. I just got an Epson with the Eco Tank ink program. You get actual bottles of ink and you pour them in. Right on the front of the printer you can actually see how much ink is in the printer. They send extra refill bottles too. It will take me a few years to even use it all and I print quite a bit. Best thing going!!!
Old 07-18-2019, 03:36 PM
Wallhanger

On my last printer I was buying the re manufactured ink. For the most part, no problem, but with the last stuff my printer stopped working. Is there any place that has good reman ink.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:18 PM
Wallhanger

I have the HP 7855 printer combo. I signed up for the HP Instant Ink program in Feb. 2019. Don't quote me...but I think the 1st 6 mo's is free, after that it's like $3.00/month charged to my CC for the 50 printed pages/month plan. Printer is linked in with HP, that's how they keep track of the # of pages printed and when to mail the ink cartridges. You can also cancel out at anytime. Gregory

The cartridges from HP under the Instant Ink program are larger sized too.

Last edited by GOS; 07-18-2019 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:21 PM
Wallhanger

Funny thing, sometimes i seem to print a bunch, other times I hardly print at all
Old 07-18-2019, 08:02 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffishman View Post
Funny thing, sometimes i seem to print a bunch, other times I hardly print at all
That is why I prefer laser, I don't have to worry about ink drying or clogging. Or course, I only use black and white so it is much cheaper than color.
Lowrance Gen2 Touch 9 with network to the trolling motor
Old 07-18-2019, 09:11 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugler View Post
That is why I prefer laser, I don't have to worry about ink drying or clogging. Or course, I only use black and white so it is much cheaper than color.
Twice that. It's way too random to spend so much on printer ink. I switched to a laser printer as well, since I don't print a lot recently. About toners - you should be using compatibles/remanufactured. Amazon has very good ones and cheaper.
So if you don't work with photos and need a printer for docs only, it might be a better solution.