Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
"fair offer" on a boat.... - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 04-24-2016, 05:03 PM
Mike in Golden Valley

Default "fair offer" on a boat....

I realize there is not a correct answer to this question. All i am seeking is your opinion on the following scenario...

Boat is being listed at 15k, OBO.

What would YOU consider to be a fair offer, and what is considered a low ball offer?

I appreciate the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2016, 05:12 PM
Keeper

That's impossible to answer. Maybe it's listed at a quick sale price already. Maybe it's grossly overpriced.

If I listed a boat at fair price id say less than 14 is a lowball

That said I bought a boat for list price because the guy was fair and the price was a great deal. His words were "I've already turned away 2 people because they tried to low ball me" I wasn't gonna lose the deal...
Old 04-25-2016, 05:56 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Golden Valley View Post
I realize there is not a correct answer to this question. All i am seeking is your opinion on the following scenario...

What would YOU consider to be a fair offer, and what is considered a low ball offer?

I appreciate the input.
When I sold my last boat it was priced to sell quickly. I was including extras and when the person low balled me I just kept removing accessories until he agreed to pay the asking price. I never had it listed so it sold by word of mouth.
When buying I simply ask what's your bottom dollar rather then insult the seller. If it's way out of line with http://www.boats.com/nada-guides/ I'll pass.
Given it's a want, not a need I'm always prepared to walk away. Bought a few cars and my last truck over the phone.
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2016, 06:18 AM
Keeper

When I list something for sale I usually give myself 10% wiggle room to negotiate.

So $13,500 is probably the fellows bottom dollar.

I would use that as a starting point and see what happens.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:50 AM
Minnow

Some questions for you...

What is the boat worth to you? Is it your dream boat? Then you may want to pay a little more to get what you want.

Are you just trying to get a good deal on an average boat? Then lowball the guy. He can always say "No" and you can always come up or walk away.

How long has the boat been on the market? I am always on the classifieds and know what my boat and my next boat are worth. When I sell a boat to upgrade, I price it fairly as I want to move it, and I have sold them as quickly as one day. If it has been sitting for a while, I would say it is overpriced. In the spring, fairly priced boats move quickly.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:30 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Golden Valley View Post

I appreciate the input.
What are comparable boats asking for?

It's probably reasonable to ask for a thousand. If I was going to offer anything lower I would want to be able to support my offer with some kind of logic i.e. it's damaged or lacking specific equipment (trolling motor, electronics ... etc.)
Old 04-25-2016, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

I would simply say that I want to buy low and you want to sell high.
So, what would you say if I offered you 1/2 your asking price to get the process going.

Then, go from there.

A seller can always go lower.

A buyer can always go higher.

You just need to meet somewhere at a price that both can agree on.

Be safe
Old 04-25-2016, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
I would simply say that I want to buy low and you want to sell high.
So, what would you say if I offered you 1/2 your asking price to get the process going.
as a seller, I would terminate the conversation at that point.

HRG
Old 04-25-2016, 10:55 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot runr guy View Post
as a seller, i would terminate the conversation at that point.

Hrg
x2. Why waste time asking for half off. I don't know of anyone who is even going to concider that as being a serious offer.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:12 AM
Wallhanger

When I sold my boat I sold it for $500 dollars less than asking price. Harley was sold for 300 less than asking price, VW Jetta was sold for 300 less than asking price (should have gotten more but it had been keyed..Long story) when I sold my 79 Trans am I got 250 MORE than my asking price.

My boat I just bought I got for 700 below the asking price. It had been for sale since last july and I knew they wanted to get rid of it. Their asking price was fair IMO.