Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ulterra Stowing issue - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 09-07-2021, 05:51 AM
Keeper

Default Ulterra Stowing issue

Over the weekend the Ulterra paused while stowing. I bypassed the reset and manually stowed the engine. I mistakenly hit the deploy button while the lever was disconnected from the fork. I did some adjustment on the worm drive/screw drive and got the forks to line up again. However now the motor doesn't travel all the way into the cradle before stopping.

Is there anyone that knows how to make the unit travel another 1-1.5" to seat fully into the cradle? Now, when it stops, the remote says motor paused. I can deploy it, but I only need to push the button once and it starts to deploy.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2021, 06:06 AM
Wallhanger

I would call MK. There is a reset procedure, but it may need to be timed up somehow. I will try to find your situation in troubleshooting section of the manual. Bob
Old 09-07-2021, 06:07 AM
Wallhanger

I would call Minn Kota technical service @ 800-227-6433. They can probably talk you through it. Good luck.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2021, 09:45 AM
Wallhanger

Here's an Ulterra reset procedure that might work for you. It's worth a try anyway.

Cause: The trim module has lost its position count and needs to be reset.
Corrective Action: The Reset Procedure must be performed.

To do this the motor MUST be in the deployed position, with the motor and shaft assembly vertical and the latch pin in the steering housing engaged into the aluminum base extrusion catches.
Then, with the voltage appropriate for the motor being serviced supplied to the motor, press and release the Power button.
The green system ready LED should be displayed, wait three (3) seconds then press and release
the Power button three (3) times in quick succession within a two (2) second time period.
The motor lower unit and shaft assembly should then come straight up until the motor belt collar contacts the underside of the steering housing, pause, and then extend back out about six (6) inches from the steering housing.
This resets the trim module counter and completes this procedure.

Last edited by KPKyllo; 09-07-2021 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-07-2021, 09:57 AM
Keeper

I should have mentioned that when I noticed the problem, I did the manual reset by pushing the power button 3 times. The motor went through the reset process and responded like it is supposed to, however it still stows just short, when it stops and says motor paused.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 09-07-2021, 11:25 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGregS View Post
I should have mentioned that when I noticed the problem, I did the manual reset by pushing the power button 3 times. The motor went through the reset process and responded like it is supposed to, however it still stows just short, when it stops and says motor paused.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Have you tried this:

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....%20illuminates.

Marty
Old 09-07-2021, 08:56 PM
Keeper

Marty thanks for that link. That is the exact routine that I did numerous times while on the water. I tried shortening and lengthening the stroke on the screw drive but that didn't fix my inability to get the motor into the cradle properly.

For ANYONE that has an ULTERRA, I would recommend reading that thread BEFORE they have problems, so that you don't need to learn on the water; like I was forced to do. It is a GREAT write up.
Old 09-08-2021, 04:55 AM
Wallhanger

I just went through the same issue, they had to take it apart to free it up and still it wouldn't cradle,they figured it was the main board. They replaced it and it lit up like an xmas tree. So they ordered some more parts. Luckily i have a spare Ulterra. Mine would not do the restart either...as mentioned you need to take it to the repair center

YouTube...Jim Lyon Fishing
Old 09-08-2021, 03:16 PM
Keeper

I have been in contact with MK and apparently there is a magnetic sensor on the left side of the ramp/cradle. I need to check that and they have emailed me directions on how to get it taken care of.

So when I get back to lake/boat I will see about getting this resolved. I will update everyone on my progress when I get back to the lake.

Thanks to all with suggestions.
Old 09-09-2021, 06:02 PM
Minnow

I had the same issue and was able to contact Minne Kota customer service. I had enough room on the trailer to still deploy and the technician talked me through how to reset the exact sensor you were talking about very easy took less than five minutes and I'm ready to get back on the lake with a trolling motor that works.