Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
2021 Booking Issue - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Bone Orchard > WC Bone Yard

Old 08-29-2020, 06:54 PM
Keeper

Default 2021 Booking Issue

I'm looking for expertise and opinions about a booking issue that has happened for my groups 2021 trip/s. I would also really appreciate some of the lodge owner's opinions, such as Gord and Obabikon. Here's the situation:

We were supposed to go on our second scheduled trip of the year in two weeks. Obviously, the trips are scrapped. We have been going to the same lodge for six years in a row now, starting with one trip a year, but moving it to two separate trips for this year and next. The lodge we stay at is small, with only a few cabins. My group of four has always stayed in the biggest cabin available because there are three separate bedrooms in the cabin (there are three 70+ in the group, so the different rooms is great so it eliminates the bunk bed issue for the "old timers." One of the guys also has a bad snoring problem, so it's great to get him isolated.

Anyway, with the cancelation of our second scheduled trip, we decided to go ahead and call to book our two 2021 trips. We go the same week each year, always have. When we called to book the "big cabin," we were told it was already booked and only a one bedroom cabin was available for the group. I was not pleased. Am I wrong or out of line to think that some kind of courtesy should have been extended to checking with us about the cabin? Again, we had the same cabin booked for the same week for the past six years. I have no idea why they bumped us out, but I would think it's safe to assume they stumbled on a bigger group that is going to bring in more money for them. understandable, especially during these times, but I can't believe they wouldn't have at least checked with us about it. I am so peeved by the move that our group is debating canceling both trips and seeking our stay elsewhere.

Please give me your thoughts. Am I too worked up about it, or would some of you feel the same? Any discussion would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2020, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

[QUOTE]Again, we had the same cabin booked for the same week for the past six years. I have no idea why they bumped us out, but I would think it's safe to assume they stumbled on a bigger group that is going to bring in more money for them. understandable, especially during these times, but I can't believe they wouldn't have at least checked with us about it. I am so peeved by the move that our group is debating canceling both trips and seeking our stay elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

Your view and their view of the relationship are just not the same.

To them it is more business, to you it is more personal.

Most would consider it a bit of a raw deal.
Old 08-29-2020, 08:39 PM
Keeper

I can understand your frustrations.

When was your first trip booked? If it was a while ago, and you didn’t call to rebook that week already, I am sure that week is gone. Most lodge owners wouldn’t have already booked your 2nd week for 2021 as it hasn’t happened yet this year. If they booked your second week already then that is a bit of a pickle. But the first week, if it was a while ago, is probably your fault if you didn’t rebook for 2021 right away.

Just my thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2020, 08:40 PM
Wallhanger

When your trip got pushed did they notify you and did you ask them your 2021 rollover status?

I think it’s shady if you’ve had the same date n cabin for 6 years n the owner doesn’t notify you and discuss the 2021 plans with you, not like they are taking care of many guests nowadays.

I think as said above, it’s a business no different than a strip club, keep feeding them $$$ and they will give you the attention until someone else with more $$$$$$ moves ahead of you at the drip line.
Old 08-29-2020, 11:47 PM
Wallhanger

Been going to Canadian lodges for over thirty years and have had a couple booking disappointments like the one you describe. I've learned not to take things too personally and to reserve "my cabin" early and make sure they understand that's the cabin I want lest they think it's OK to switch me to a different cabin for some reason. I don't say this in a mean way, but some lodge owners just aren't as detail oriented as some of us guests expect them to be.
Motorguide Bow Mount
Hummingbird Helix 7
Dual Pro Onboard
Bert's Rod Holders
Custom EZ Loader Trailer
Old 08-30-2020, 12:22 AM
Charter Member

I want to start by saying that 2021 is a complete different beast. Many resort owners (including myself) are looking to maximize profits. So... if I have a cabin that sleep 8, and have been giving it to a group of 4... that changes next year. I am sorry. I have a cabin for four people, but I can't lose out on the additional beds next year. I must do everything I can.

That said, there is certainly a balance. Loyal customers have my first priority. At this point, I am just starting to take new bookings. I have been in contact with all of our groups.

So, not knowing the price structure, I don't really know how to comment. Is this an American Plan camp? Do they charge by the cabin, or by the person?

Several other questions would need to be answered, but certainly ANY business should put their loyal customers first.
Old 08-30-2020, 03:32 AM
Super Moderator

[QUOTE=NP4ME;6478616]
Anyway, with the cancelation of our second scheduled trip, we decided to go ahead and call to book our two 2021 trips.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but I'm on the side of the lodge owner's here. You waited until now to book 2021 for the earlier date. You say you've always done one trip per year, but that this year you decided to up it to two trips this year and for 2021. Did they know that was your plan?

You should have communicated with them when the first trip was canceled, and not waited until now to let them know you wanted the same week and the same cabin.

It's not their responsibility to contact you about it. Reservations are always first come first served in my opinion.

Would it be nice if they did? Sure, that would be going above and beyond, but again...it's not their responsibility to do your job for you. They are not mind readers either. You lost out and now you're mad at them. Sorry for your loss, but this is on you and your crew.

Just my opinion....you asked for opinions. :)
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 08-30-2020, 04:22 AM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=Obabikon;6478668]
So, not knowing the price structure, I don't really know how to comment. [B]Do they charge by the cabin, or by the person? [/B]
[/QUOTE]

I'll be the first to admit that I don't understand a per bed/per person pricing structure. The trip I have upcoming this year, as well as the one I have booked next year (both in WI) are for a specific cabin. The cabin rate stays the same whether it's 1 or 6 bodies staying in it, only after a certain number is there an additional per-person charge.

If you are paying on a per-person rate, I can certainly see the lodge trying to maximize their return by not letting additional beds go unused, unless you'd be willing to pay a higher rate for a that specific cabin?

HRG
Old 08-30-2020, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=Hot Runr Guy;6478686]I'll be the first to admit that I don't understand a per bed/per person pricing structure. The trip I have upcoming this year, as well as the one I have booked next year (both in WI) are for a specific cabin. The cabin rate stays the same whether it's 1 or 6 bodies staying in it, only after a certain number is there an additional per-person charge.

If you are paying on a per-person rate, I can certainly see the lodge trying to maximize their return by not letting additional beds go unused, unless you'd be willing to pay a higher rate for a that specific cabin?

HRG[/QUOTE]

Most american plan resorts are set up this way... in that more people = more food/cost.

For us, this is a normal issue, but I have told all of my guests upfront, I do not guarantee cabins unless you fill it. So, if it is available, I will put your group of 4 in a cabin for 8, but if I book a group of 8... your group will be moved to a smaller cabin (but still appropriate sized). I never move a group, unless I have room for them the same dates in another cabin.

I'm not really sure what has happened in this situation. Did the owner say something like "I'm sorry, but it is already taken"? If that's the case... then they waited too long to book. Or... did the owner say something like, "I'm sorry, but I rented it to a larger group to make more money"? Like I said before... 2021 is going to be a completely different beast (assuming the border is open).

On this topic... if any of you are "thinking" of making a trip somewhere next year, but don't already have a reservation, you probably should get on it. Many resorts (especially smaller ones) are going to be completely full before ThanksGiving, if they aren't already full.
Old 08-30-2020, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=Hot Runr Guy;6478686]I'll be the first to admit that I don't understand a per bed/per person pricing structure. The trip I have upcoming this year, as well as the one I have booked next year (both in WI) are for a specific cabin. The cabin rate stays the same whether it's 1 or 6 bodies staying in it, only after a certain number is there an additional per-person charge.

HRG[/QUOTE]

To be fair to camp operators, it seems that they need to charge by cabin size (number of beds). If we want a larger cabin with fewer people than the number of beds, we pay the extra and split it between the group.

If over the years the camp has been renting you a larger cabin than your group requires and not charging you for the "wasted" beds, then they value your business and tried to accommodate you to their own lose of revenue. As said above, 2021 is a totally different situation. Their isn't any room for error and owners need to maximize their facilities in an attempt at gaining back only some of the tremendous loses of 2020.

2021 will be a "make it or not" year for most camps. If you like the camp and people, cut them some slack and support them in their time of need as they have supported and accommodated you in the past.

That said, an email or phone call to check on your 2021 interest (before booking a different group) would have given you a heads up and an opportunity to rent or not rent your cabin of choice, even if they needed you to pay more to put a smaller group into a larger cabin.

If you had contacted them about roll overs when everyone was realizing that 2020 trips were not going to happen, then it seems that 2020 group should of had first right of refusal. IMO

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."