Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Plan for next year trip? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 10-21-2021, 08:12 AM
Keeper

Default Plan for next year trip?

So when do you start planning for the next years trip? I fished gullrock the last week of Sept this year. Just 2 of us. We left at 6am for the drive home and 5 minutes down the road we are already talking about next year and things to do different or better or the same. It was a very last minute trip for us...decided on a tuesday night and left that friday morning. Things we need....have to get a better fillet knife...my knife sucked all week. Feel free to reccomend. A first aid kit for the boat or cabin. We had nothing. also a little survival kit for the boat in case of break downs or lost. I need a decent wet bag for the boat. Nothing huge but a nice water proof bag to keep things. Feel free to recommend. Easy dinner meals...just 2 of us and we want to fish all we can. I do not want to come in at 7pm(gets dark that time of year) and cook a full meal. We had fish every night and I made a pot of chili. really...i could do that all week long for dinner and not care. Any thoughts or ideas is always welcome from what you all do on your trips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2021, 10:35 AM
Wallhanger

We learn something on every trip we take. For a dry bag I'd recommend the Cabelas Boundary Waters roll top duffel bag. Buy the large one. I've had mine for at least 15 years and it has been on every outdoor trip I take. I stuff extra jackets, sweatshirts, shoes, rain suit, hats, gloves, etc. It is heavy duty and rugged. It is big enough, but not oversized. DON'T buy the top load stuff sack version. My buddy bought one and he is always digging down into it trying to find something. It costs over a $100, but you will have it for all your trips summer and winter for years to come.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:12 PM
Wallhanger

We use a fly-in outfitter every other year so in a typical cycle (non-pandemic) we would check for available dates and choose a lake/week around July/August. Usually, purchase plane tickets around Thanksgiving, buy a license and outdoor card in January, book hotel/motel/taxi in Jan-March, send out menu/grocery list to the group for approval in April then to the outfitter in May. Send a reminder in early June about the weight limits and packing details, and start gathering the group items that will be packed. Our trips are in mid to end June so it is an off and on process for most of the year. One item we didn't have the first year was a depth finder, probably do not need it but we have taken a portable for each boat on our trips since. If the fishing turns tough it can be helpful to isolate a depth range to fish in and possibly eliminate some water.

One item that I wish we had and have not figured out a way to make it happen was to have a trolling motor/battery for a camp boat. I think it would make pike stalking even better if we had a way to quiet the gas motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2021, 05:17 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camoclad View Post
We use a fly-in outfitter every other year so in a typical cycle (non-pandemic) we would check for available dates and choose a lake/week around July/August. Usually, purchase plane tickets around Thanksgiving, buy a license and outdoor card in January, book hotel/motel/taxi in Jan-March, send out menu/grocery list to the group for approval in April then to the outfitter in May. Send a reminder in early June about the weight limits and packing details, and start gathering the group items that will be packed. Our trips are in mid to end June so it is an off and on process for most of the year. One item we didn't have the first year was a depth finder, probably do not need it but we have taken a portable for each boat on our trips since. If the fishing turns tough it can be helpful to isolate a depth range to fish in and possibly eliminate some water.

One item that I wish we had and have not figured out a way to make it happen was to have a trolling motor/battery for a camp boat. I think it would make pike stalking even better if we had a way to quiet the gas motor.
Paddle?
Old 10-21-2021, 06:12 PM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camoclad View Post

How are you guys weight wise for your trip? I know where you can store a motor and battery between trips.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:36 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post
How are you guys weight wise for your trip? I know where you can store a motor and battery between trips.
I was over weight with cash,looking for a place to store a load,any ideas?
Old 10-21-2021, 07:11 PM
Wallhanger

If it's going to be in May or June, book as soon as possible.

The more trips you do, the more routine it gets. Only difference between planning for me is if I am driving to the air-base or if I have to fly commercially and then rent a car (or not).

From there, pretty standard routine depending on travel plan. Similar to what Camoclad posted.
Old 10-21-2021, 08:32 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckohlt View Post
Paddle?

We use what is there for paddles, the trolling motor would help cover ground a bit more efficiently. The gas motor does too, I just get tired of listening to it and would assume there would be some benefit to the quietness of the trolling motor for sneaking in on some of the bigger fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2021, 08:38 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post

That might be a possibility. We are limited to 50 lbs each on the checked bag for commercial flight so the rest of our weight is what we carry on, then bait and grocery so we are usually +/- 15lb per guy at that point in additional allowable weight. With a group of 6 that leaves us @90lbs. Maybe a low end trolling motor and a motorcycle battery? Something to think about for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2021, 07:14 AM
Slot Fish

We are headed up to Cat Island Lodge near Red Lake in mid-June. We are flying into Winnipeg and renting a car for the drive. When should we book airline tickets and rental car?