Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Used Boat, Like New Low Hours- great deal or run? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 06-18-2018, 07:29 AM
Wallhanger

Is it worth 12K..........I think so........I bought my 1985 16' Grumman with a 50 hp VRO Johnson with trailer for 7K.....ran it on Erie and Ontario for 30 years.

But here's what I would change with that boat........get rid of that stupid 2x6 board going across the back and mount those downriggers on the gunnels. Add double rod holders on the downriggers and then mount that mast on the bow where it belongs. You have now turned your boat back into a 16' boat from the 14' of usable space that it now has.

If a 16' boat is what you need/want go for it.......BTW we all over pay for our boats so don't worry about that part.......and that package would probably go for 25K new...

Good Luck,
Bob
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2018, 08:51 AM
Slot Fish

I agree with Bobby Winds on the boat.

5 years ago I was in a similar situation to you with a 2003 Crestliner Superhawk 1700 with a Yamaha F115. Owned by an elderly couple and the boat was low hours and immaculate. The boat only booked out at 6,000 through NADA and the asking price was just over double of that. I have found, especially here in the Midwest where the boats are seasonal, that NADA is not in the ballpark of market value.

It was a bit easier for me to stomach the asking price as I had priced out similar boats brand new and also had seen plenty of disasters local dealers were asking premium for....and this boat checked off every one of the criteria I was looking for in a boat.

I've had zero issues with my combination since purchase and have created plenty of memories with it with zero regret.

As far as insurance, at least with mine, I determined the value insured on the motor, trailer and boat along with all the contents inside. (it was in increments of 1,000) If something were to happen to the boat, I'd get the value placed back and not NADA.

I'd say do the same....see what you can get out there for similar value. If you are happy with the boat, it checks off everything you need and the price you are willing to purchase.....pull the trigger and don't look back.

Steve
Old 06-18-2018, 10:12 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsm View Post
I agree with Bobby Winds on the boat.

5 years ago I was in a similar situation to you with a 2003 Crestliner Superhawk 1700 with a Yamaha F115. Owned by an elderly couple and the boat was low hours and immaculate. The boat only booked out at 6,000 through NADA and the asking price was just over double of that. I have found, especially here in the Midwest where the boats are seasonal, that NADA is not in the ballpark of market value.

It was a bit easier for me to stomach the asking price as I had priced out similar boats brand new and also had seen plenty of disasters local dealers were asking premium for....and this boat checked off every one of the criteria I was looking for in a boat.

I've had zero issues with my combination since purchase and have created plenty of memories with it with zero regret.

As far as insurance, at least with mine, I determined the value insured on the motor, trailer and boat along with all the contents inside. (it was in increments of 1,000) If something were to happen to the boat, I'd get the value placed back and not NADA.

I'd say do the same....see what you can get out there for similar value. If you are happy with the boat, it checks off everything you need and the price you are willing to purchase.....pull the trigger and don't look back.

Steve

I agree on the insurance. I have a stated value policy where I told the insurance company a stated value for the boat, motor and trailer separately. If somehting happens, the payout is the stated value NOT NADA!

Marty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2018, 10:33 AM
Wallhanger

If you’re keeping it unless something crazy happens and it’s what you want it’s a good buy. If you think you may want to upgrade in a year you’ll lose your ***!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2018, 02:34 PM
Wallhanger

Be cautious on low-hour, older boats. A good friend of mine purchased an 8 year old ranger 620 with 22 hours on the 250 Verado. The boat itself, such as the pumps, lights etc have all been trouble free. However, the motor has not. A lot of issue with seals leaking, causing $1000's of dollars in repairs. He is looking to sell his rig because of this. He might have 100 hours on it now, and has lost confidence. From the outside looking it, he thought it was a good deal. But when mechanical items sit, it can sometimes be worse than using it. In his case it was.

Just some food for thought.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:51 PM
Wallhanger

To me the questions would be. Can I get a boat that better suits my needs for the same money ? and. Can I get as good of a boat for less money ?
Also, I would Google the model and year of motor for reliability.
15 hp Suzuki tiller kicker with Itroll
101 lb Terrova I-pilot link
Humminbird Helix 10 mega si and 2 898s
Talon 12'
Lowrance HDS 5 gen2, used mostly for engine monitoring.

Free advice, and worth every penny.