Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
What's everyone's favorite line for live bait spinner rigs these days? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Home Grown Tackle > HGT General Discussion

Old 03-06-2020, 02:29 PM
Slot Fish

Default What line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbin View Post
I used to enjoy making my own spinner rigs for nightcrawler and minnow fishing for walleye, and now that I'm getting back into fishing in a big way after a long hiatus (I even ordered my first boat a couple of weeks ago! ), I've decided to resume this pastime, too.

- What's your favorite line, and in what lb test, for such purpose?

-
What knot(s) do you find work especially well with that line?

Yes, I know there are threads on this subject in the archives and I have checked them out (and I'm also familiar with this excellent article on making spinner rigs: https://fishingoutposts.com/how-to-t...inner-harness/), but I figure it's worth a fresh look at least every 5 or 10 years...

Hoping lots of folks will take the time to chime in with their answers, and thankful to everyone who does!

Gerry
There is no perfect or right line. 6/8 mono is hard to beat pared w the right rod Depending on how your fishing. A stiff rod w braid is not the best. A stretchy line w a lite rob is just as bad. If long lining trollin over 1-2mph in deep water the trolling handbook states at 100 fOL and do you really think that fish can see your line? .you should go to 14# mono because anything less you might not even feel the bit due to the belly and the stretch..
Floor is way more expensive, doesn’t tie up well w standard knots resandiego not and I had many break off especially I fall and cold temps. Braid takes some getting use to and again pair it w a softer rod.
Mono is pretty much what I go with. The stretch is a buffer when fighting fish. Rods usually. Say what is recommend on the rod. Stay there or something going to break.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2020, 10:55 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewwbulltom View Post
There is no perfect or right line. 6/8 mono is hard to beat pared w the right rod...
Understood, and that's what I used to use. I do like the idea of fluorocarbon dealing better with the occasional pike, though, even if line visibility isn't really a concern. I also like the idea of it providing the rigs I make with a longer shelf life, too.

How about P-Line CFX versus Seaguar Blue Label?

Anybody out there?... (Maybe everyone's too busy with COVID-19 and the stock market, eh?)

Gerry

Last edited by gbin; 03-10-2020 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:40 PM
Keeper

I have tried floro,and mono. I prefer the mono,due to the stretch factor. Paired with the right rod,hook ups on a light bite can make a difference. I usually don't worry about line visibility. My biggest problem is line twist. The bling on hook is for visibility. Braid and a longer leader. My advice is to experiment, not all conditions are the same. Good luck.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:25 PM
Keeper

I'm here.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:20 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by James F View Post
I'm here.
Thanks, James. Are there particular brands and lb tests that you like for your purposes?

Still hoping to hear folks chime in on the P-Line CFX versus Seaguar Blue Label question even if not on the more general subject of this thread...

Gerry
Old 04-12-2020, 11:48 AM
Keeper

Berkley Trilene Big Game 15# green, been using it for 8 years, rarely have I ever been bit off. However last year I tied up some using AFW Surflon 20# 1X7 where we were specifically looking for Pike, no bite offs at all using it. Wire rigs only last a few fish if you let them roll in the net, as they tend to kink easily. 9 wrap snell knots on the hooks, mono or steel, crimped loop with swivel on steel, 7 turn improved clinch on mono to the swivel.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:36 AM
Keeper

I tied a bunch using 20 lbs Berkley Vanish. Used to use Trilene XT 12 lbs. Haven’t had a chance to try the fluoro versions yet, but they work great for Carolina rigging bass so I’m hopeful.