Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
3 bank charger hot to the touch - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 07-01-2013, 02:42 AM
Minnow

Default 3 bank charger hot to the touch

Hello, I recently purchased a boat that included an installed ProMariner ProMite 5/5/3 charger. there are 2 batteries up front for the trolly and the starter battery in the back. I do not have any experience with on-board chargers other than I know if they work they make life easier. I received the manual for the charger and I dbl checked the instructions for set up and I believe everything was done correctly. However, when I plugged it in while sitting in my garage and checked on it after a cpl hours and the charger was very hot, basically too hot to the touch after some seconds. I had opened all of the compartments and had taken the charger out and set it up outside the compartment on the floor of the boat for proper ventilation. I assumed the charger would get warm somewhat but not this hot. it worried me so I did not leave it charging trying to avoid damage to charger, batteries, or risk of fire. Is this normal to get that warm? is this a sign of a wiring issue or another problem. I will be checking the water level in the battery cells as well. The only other note is that the guy that installed it spliced a heavy duty extension cord to connect it to the charger wires and run it to the starter battery since the length was not long enough to run directly to the battery in back. he has it mounted/installed up front by the trolly batteries. any help is greatly appreciated guys! I don't want to damage any equipment I just purchased.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 04:05 AM
Wallhanger

First, see if the charger is charging the batteries correctly. Use your digital voltmeter (if you don't one Sears has them for $20 or less on sale) to measure the battery voltage. A fully charged battery that has been off the charger for 24 hours or more should read 12.7 volts, give or take 0.1 volts. While the charger is operating on fully charged batteries, you should see 13.5 volts. During the charging cycle on partially discharged batteries, you may see as much as 14.1 volts.

Give the manufacturer a call and ask their customer support people how hot that charger should be in normal operation. If you didn't get a manual for that charger, here's a web page with a link to a manual.
http://promariner.com/productFeature...m=31313&page=1
Old 07-02-2013, 08:14 AM
Minnow

Default Large cord

Use a very heavy extension cord. Nothing smaller than a 14/3 and preferably a 12/3. It sounds like you are pulling too much thru your cord which will cause your charger to heat up

Tom aka rinkydink

Tags
charger , heat , hot