Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Trolling Motor Quick Release Brackets- Do you use them? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 05-16-2018, 08:17 AM
Minnow

Default Trolling Motor Quick Release Brackets- Do you use them?

MotorGuide offers quick release brackets for both cable steer (X3/X5) and electric steer (Xi3/Xi5).

Do you use a QRB? Why or why not?

http://www.motorguide.com/store/accessories/mounting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2018, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

If you use the quick release mount to remove your trolling motor when not needed, it makes the boat cover and boat transport that much easier.

Also, no need to have to worry about trolling motor damage during transport - which is not ordinarily a problem.

Good luck

p.s.
The Motor guide T shaped rubber shock mounts are a very good system to use to isolate the motor from minimal vibration and to isolate the motor from the mounting surface of the boat.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:41 AM
Keeper

No, I don't usually use mine. I occasionally take it off but not normally.

Why not? Lazy I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2018, 01:20 PM
Wallhanger

Mine has the set back position which I use when docking boat at end of day. when ever traveling I put mine in bottom of boat under cover out of site out of mind. I have a padlock on the release lever but unless I had a hole put in and re enforced in the cover cant use the ram mount trolling motor support. Think it is up to the user to decide what make him comfortable.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:15 PM
Keeper

I use mine to remove the TM when I tow with the canvas cover on. I don’t take it off for anything else.

It would be worth it having the ability to take it to the shop if you have issues or wanted to work on it on a work bench.

Last edited by Dave Watkins; 05-16-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:51 PM
Keeper

I take mine off to trailer with the cover a couple of times a year. I also take mine off for the winter and store it in the basement. That way it is not subject to condensation etc all winter. Once in a while I will take trips and not feel 100% comfortable with the Motel parking lot. I will take it inside then too, along with electronics lure trays etc. Peace of mind thing. Mrt.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:54 PM
Keeper

I use a QD so I can easily swap my XI5 with a wonderful old bottom tracking 90s vintage Pinpoint once in a while.
Why oh why can't they make a new motor that can follow the true contours with sonar like that gem.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:20 AM
Wallhanger

I use mine all the time. I also lay the TM on the bottom of the boat whenever I am trailering the boat. No boat cover damage and as mentioned already out of sight out of mind.
I have a MinnKota Ulterra and if it malfunctions in the deployed position I can easily lift and remove it easily. It takes a particular model QD bracket from MinnKota to be able to do that tho.
MKA-51 is the model number. It may even be able to be used on a Motor Guide. But I have no idea if it can.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:57 AM
Wallhanger

I only remove my TM when shrink wrapping the boat.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:42 PM
Wallhanger

It seemed like a good idea at the time - got one when I upgraded to a PowerDrive. 5 yrs later, finally removed the TM, in order to upgrade to the Terrova and reused the mount. 8 years now, and it still hasn't been quick released.

It helps that my cover is custom fit to include the TM. Didn't cost any extra over getting a standard cover from the guy who made it.

I even hardwired it, and installed an on/off switch, rather than plug/receptacle that the dog kept knocking out. Figured when I actually did have to move the TM, I could put up with the wire connections, too.

Tags
motorguide , trolling motor