Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Best Gulp Color For Jigging For Walleyes - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 11-09-2010, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

In my opinion, the water clarity plays a large part in color choice, I'm guessing more than other factors, such as available food species. The smelt works well for me in cleaner (clearer) water. If I was fishing low visibility water, I'd start with chartreuse. If I could only buy 2 colors, it would be smelt and chartreuse.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2010, 05:58 PM
Minnow

Default Gulp colors

The two all around colors I always start with are White and Yellow. Remember to have different colored jigs. It's a cheap way to present a multi colored presentation.

I've read so many times about bright colors in dark water and natural colors in clear water, but White and Yellow seem to work for me in any type of water.

Walleyemaxx
Old 11-10-2010, 06:02 AM
Minnow

Default Assorted Colors

How do you guys normally rig your gulp. I know you put it on a jig but do you thread it all the way on the jig, nose hook it, etc.

Thanks in advance

Walleye Fisherman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2010, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

Most of the time I either use the smelt color or watermelon/pearl. Both work well on almost all bodies of water. If I need colors for water conditions, I change up the jigs.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye Fisherman View Post
How do you guys normally rig your gulp. I know you put it on a jig but do you thread it all the way on the jig, nose hook it, etc.

Thanks in advance

Walleye Fisherman
I use the Gulp minnow and a "worm" jig head, as made by Do-It molds. The head has double barbs, onto which I push the front of the bait, after threading it on the hook. I like to super glue the bait on as well, usually first push bait to the head, then back off, and apply glue, then push back onto the barbs and head.
By gluing, I usually avoid the situation of a missed hit partially pulling the bait back, creating a skewed effect that may discourage a second try by that fish (or another fish).

Bill
Old 11-10-2010, 01:44 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Krejca View Post
I use the Gulp minnow and a "worm" jig head, as made by Do-It molds. The head has double barbs, onto which I push the front of the bait, after threading it on the hook. I like to super glue the bait on as well, usually first push bait to the head, then back off, and apply glue, then push back onto the barbs and head.
By gluing, I usually avoid the situation of a missed hit partially pulling the bait back, creating a skewed effect that may discourage a second try by that fish (or another fish).

Bill
A friend of mine developed a jig especially to hold Gulp. He gave the idea to Johnnie Petersen (Northland tackle). The jig has two wire "J" hooks coming out of the lead alongside the shaft of the hook.

It is called "Slurp" jig.

They work great
Old 11-10-2010, 06:27 PM
Keeper

Here's a good read on the subject:

http://www.in-fisherman.com/content/...ter-walleyes/1
Old 11-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Minnow

That was an interesting article. It had lots of good information about selecting different colors.

Anybody else with favorite colors of gulp or jigs?
Old 11-11-2010, 06:00 AM
Wallhanger

One of my favorite combos on the Illinois river is the gold hutchies jig in 5/16 (riverwalleyes.com) and the black shad gulp.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:39 AM
Wallhanger

I don't want to step on anyone's toes with this post,and I DO occasionally (rarely) use Gulp. I've never used TriggerX. Also,I'm not a pro,or guide,and there's many,MANY techniques that I need to work on.

That all said,I believe those "expensive",scented,amino acid infused (or whatever) baits just aren't necessary when the fish have the feedbag on.

Like during fall. Those fish aren't pausing to sniff or taste the bait,they're trying to eat something that looks like food before it either gets away or another fish gets it first. Present a bait in a way that gives the illusion of food,put it where walleyes are feeding,and you'll get bit.

I am a believer in color. I believe slight variations of a color sometimes make huge differences. I believe that the proper jig weight is even more important than color.....I believe that I have WAY to many jigs and plastics in my boat.

But I DON'T believe I'd do any better if I had GULP! in my boat when fishing the river during fall.

Tags
berkely , gulp , jig , jigging , walleye