Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Internal or External GPS - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 02-04-2014, 08:18 PM
Minnow

Default Internal or External GPS

Looking to purchase new Humminbird graphs that I want to link to I-Pilot and together. My question is, should I care about whether or not the GPS is internal or external? My bias would be to go toward internal, just to keep the clutter down. Am I missing a lot here?

As an aside, my current model is a Humminbird 798ci HD SI. My complaint with that model is that sometimes I have to cycle it on and off a few times in order to get it to pick up a signal. Where I fish, I can't have that unreliability because I may not know how to get back home. Would an external puck fix this issue? Thanks in advance for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2014, 06:47 AM
Keeper

I personally like the internal units because there is less clutter, and if you aren't getting SI or DI you can use it on the ice.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:59 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by millelacskk View Post
Looking to purchase new Humminbird graphs that I want to link to I-Pilot and together. My question is, should I care about whether or not the GPS is internal or external? My bias would be to go toward internal, just to keep the clutter down. Am I missing a lot here?

As an aside, my current model is a Humminbird 798ci HD SI. My complaint with that model is that sometimes I have to cycle it on and off a few times in order to get it to pick up a signal. Where I fish, I can't have that unreliability because I may not know how to get back home. Would an external puck fix this issue? Thanks in advance for your help!
The new XX9 units from Humminbird are all equipped with internal GPS receivers. The 800, 900, and 1100 models in this series are fully compatible with external GPS receivers as well. While I wouldn't anticipate an issue with the internal receivers in the new units, you always have a "back up plan" available in case you decide to go external. The GPS receiver with Heading Sensor has become a popular choice for this application.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2014, 10:55 AM
Wallhanger

I always figured a external antenna would be better. I was afraid having my gps unit tucked into my dash behind the windshield and stuff would block the view of all possible satellites? I like the idea of mounting the antenna where it is least obstructed view to the sky.
And btw what clutter are you guys talking about? I never heard of getting clutter from a gps antenna?
Old 02-09-2014, 12:11 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksat1 View Post
I always figured a external antenna would be better. I was afraid having my gps unit tucked into my dash behind the windshield and stuff would block the view of all possible satellites? I like the idea of mounting the antenna where it is least obstructed view to the sky.
And btw what clutter are you guys talking about? I never heard of getting clutter from a gps antenna?
The clutter i'm talking about is the GPS puck for an external GPS receiver. My first Lowrance had one, and it had to be installed (drilling holes in the gunwale) so I like not having it.
Humminbird 1199ci HD SI
Humminbird 1199ci HD SI
MinnKota 101 Terrova - I Link
Old 02-09-2014, 03:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millelacskk View Post
The clutter i'm talking about is the GPS puck for an external GPS receiver. My first Lowrance had one, and it had to be installed (drilling holes in the gunwale) so I like not having it.
The previous series 'birds did not have good slow-speed performance with the internal receiver, so many of us switched over to the external style.

Besides, you don't have to drill any holes. Do what I did, and add a "shelf" to a SportTrak bracket for the external receiver to mount on.

HRG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0048.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	67626  
Old 02-09-2014, 06:27 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
The previous series 'birds did not have good slow-speed performance with the internal receiver, so many of us switched over to the external style.

Besides, you don't have to drill any holes. Do what I did, and add a "shelf" to a SportTrak bracket for the external receiver to mount on.

HRG
Yeah, but I see you drilled a hole for the cable clamp.

If you need to drill holes to get a good installation, do it. An external receiver is better than an internal one in most cases, partly because you can mount it closer to the sonar transducer thus getting better correlation between the sonar reading and the map chart.
Yamaha 50 tiller
Minn Kota Terrova 12V
Humminbird 898, Helix 9
Old 02-09-2014, 06:32 AM
Wallhanger

Hot Runr Guy,
Good idea. The hole for the clamp is at least through wood covered by carpet and not metal. It'd be pretty much unnoticeable if you ever took it out.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:33 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:

HRG
Nice job and great idea.

PjShorthorn
Old 02-12-2014, 10:24 PM
Minnow

Quote:

HRG
Awesome idea. Just bought a HB998 for my new Impact and was trying to figure out how to mount the external receiver. I was planning on mounting it by the transom and was thinking of mounting it in the corner on the deck. I like your method because it not only avoids drilling, but also gets it up higher in the air with less obstructions.

Last edited by AllanF; 02-12-2014 at 10:36 PM.

Tags
chartplotter , gps , humminbird , ipilot , lowrance