Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Cold water Spring Walleye - where are they - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 04-17-2019, 06:55 PM
Keeper

Default Cold water Spring Walleye - where are they

I think I posted last year and I am still learning, our water is around 51 bouncing up and down with weather. I plan to go out tomorrow after work and try to stay out till dark.

Have minnows and worms with me, my question at this time of year where do you start. Are they deep hanging low or moving up into shallower water. I think from what I understand they are in spawning mode. A DNR told me that after the spawn is when they get really hungry and start to hit.

I planned on starting with a jig and minnow and cast out and pull in slowly.

any thoughts appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2019, 07:04 PM
Wallhanger

Look shallow first. Small bays, or areas around incoming creeks or rivers if there are any. Look for shallow areas that are starting to grow some green weeds. Keep an eye on water temperature, as you move into shallower water on the wind blown side of the lake you will often see a temperature difference of a few degrees. Since you already have 50 degree water the fish have spawned already and will be shallow and feeding heavily.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:27 PM
Keeper

Thanks, looked at forecast and we have 18 - 20 NNW winds tomorrow. Not sure about the wind tomorrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2019, 06:34 AM
Keeper

Thought I would report back, I battled the 18 mph wind and managed to catch one nice walleye with jig and minnow in 10 ft water. I also had out a slip bobber with worm never had a bite. I stayed in that area for a few hours and never had another bite. After I catch one I have a hard time moving as I always think there will be more. Water temp was right at 50.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:44 AM
Wallhanger

You did not say if your fishing lake river reservoir but normally I would be fishing current breaks and pitching plastics shallow 1-8 feet and keep moving until I find fish. Here on the Mississippi it might be pitching trees that are standing along the banks in current seams with our high water. Bigger fish will not fight current if looking for eaters smaller fish they will put up with more current. But keep moving until fish are found and very your presentation..
Old 04-21-2019, 06:10 AM
Keeper

Thanks, fishing a Lake and water temp was 51 yesterday. Did not have one bite but I think I am fishing to deep based on replies. Going to give it a break today, talked to a few others yesterday and they only caught a couple.

Wind was out of the South yesterday, I need to program my brain they can be shallow, for some reason I think they are in 10 - 20 ft of water.

I need to keep moving more also

thanks for reply
Old 04-21-2019, 04:34 PM
Wallhanger

Never stop moving. Mark every bite on your GPS and start watching for a Pattern. Once the marks start showing the pattern then sit on the fish or shorten your passes to stay on them. Vertical jigging, lindy rigging, snap rapping, crawler harnesses..... the choices are endless. I always start with vertical jigging with Gulp Alive minnows and cover some water. Gulp alive keeps you fishing more and changing bait less.