Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
What shape jig head for river ? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 02-10-2020, 02:19 PM
Wallhanger

Default What shape jig head for river ?

Like to pour my own for the Mississippi river for walleyes. Does it really make a difference what shape....bullet, banana, round, walleye. I'll be fishing anywhere from 10 ft to maybe 30ft. I'm think most they jig guys use 1/2 to 5/8 oz. Which shape would be the most versatile. Thanks

Last edited by fishs; 02-10-2020 at 02:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2020, 03:15 PM
Wallhanger

Pour our own also. Changed from round to Do It Teardrop with keeper. Shape works good in current. Keeper holds on live bait and plastics.
Attached Images

2020 Lund 1975 Pro-V
225 Mercury 15 Mercury
Ulterra 112 I Pilot Link MDI
Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA+ SI (2)
Humminbird 360
Old 02-10-2020, 03:34 PM
Wallhanger

Wall i Lama is all over it. Hutch's calls them current cutters. Best I have used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2020, 05:22 PM
Wallhanger

I use teardrop jigs in current.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

https://www.google.com/search?q=shad...w=1680&bih=907

https://barlowstackle.com/Do-It-Shad...ig-Molds-P206/

----------------------------------
For river fishing, the Shad dart jig head is really tough to beat.

It is all about shape.

The name says it all. SHAD DART.
The shape of the jig is such that with a feather tail it resembles a shad.

Then, the Word DART is exactly what it does in current. i.e. when retrieved the jig will dart to and fro, mush like a minnow.

Any time that I am fishing current, I will always reach for a Shad Dart first. I normally buy unpainted jigs and then use powder paint to color them to my desire.

If you haven't used a Shad Dart when fishing current, give one a try.

-----------------------------------
My first experience with a Shad Dart when my wife and I were near the Canadian border fishing border waters. I had made an appointment with a guide for the following morning for a days guided trip. We fished for a few hours the first day with 0 results.
The next day, the guide put us on fish and we had a nice shor lunch.
That afternoon, we were fishing below a falls in heavy current. The guide was fishing with a shad dart and rigged my wifes line with a similar shad dart. He offed one to me, but I replied that I had plenty of jigs. Then, I watched the guide and my wife both catch fish after fish. I finally relented and asked for a shad dart if possible. Of course the guide, said, "of course." I tied on the jig and tipped it with a minnow and then, all three of use continued to catch fish and release for the rest of the afternoon.

I had tried a bunch of the same weight ball head jig in the same and different colors as the shad darts that they were using and I could not buy a fish. But, within minutes after tying on the shad dart, fish were hitting the jig.

So, since we were anchored in some fairly heavy current, I pulled the jig up to look at the action. Sure enough as the current flowed around the jig, the jig head was darting erratically due to its unique shape.

I may be incorrect, but I have been led to believe that the jig originated on rivers in the east where they were used to catch really big shad. Maybe its true, maybe not. But without a doubt - for fishing current, with a jig and bait - a Shad Dart is tough to beat for Walleye fishing.

From another source:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/marylan...430-story.html

Take care

Last edited by REW; 02-10-2020 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

I use a standard round head for most of my fishing. However, in deeper water and current I like a flat sided jig profile. https://barlowstackle.com/Do-It-Flat...ig-Molds-P223/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flat jig.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	315678   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191011_131730.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	521.6 KB
ID:	315680  
Old 02-11-2020, 05:37 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
https://www.google.com/search?q=shad...w=1680&bih=907

https://barlowstackle.com/Do-It-Shad...ig-Molds-P206/

----------------------------------
For river fishing, the Shad dart jig head is really tough to beat.

It is all about shape.

The name says it all. SHAD DART.
The shape of the jig is such that with a feather tail it resembles a shad.

Then, the Word DART is exactly what it does in current. i.e. when retrieved the jig will dart to and fro, mush like a minnow.

Any time that I am fishing current, I will always reach for a Shad Dart first. I normally buy unpainted jigs and then use powder paint to color them to my desire.

If you haven't used a Shad Dart when fishing current, give one a try.

-----------------------------------
My first experience with a Shad Dart when my wife and I were near the Canadian border fishing border waters. I had made an appointment with a guide for the following morning for a days guided trip. We fished for a few hours the first day with 0 results.
The next day, the guide put us on fish and we had a nice shor lunch.
That afternoon, we were fishing below a falls in heavy current. The guide was fishing with a shad dart and rigged my wifes line with a similar shad dart. He offed one to me, but I replied that I had plenty of jigs. Then, I watched the guide and my wife both catch fish after fish. I finally relented and asked for a shad dart if possible. Of course the guide, said, "of course." I tied on the jig and tipped it with a minnow and then, all three of use continued to catch fish and release for the rest of the afternoon.

I had tried a bunch of the same weight ball head jig in the same and different colors as the shad darts that they were using and I could not buy a fish. But, within minutes after tying on the shad dart, fish were hitting the jig.

So, since we were anchored in some fairly heavy current, I pulled the jig up to look at the action. Sure enough as the current flowed around the jig, the jig head was darting erratically due to its unique shape.

I may be incorrect, but I have been led to believe that the jig originated on rivers in the east where they were used to catch really big shad. Maybe its true, maybe not. But without a doubt - for fishing current, with a jig and bait - a Shad Dart is tough to beat for Walleye fishing.

From another source:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/marylan...430-story.html

Take care
Better yet!!!!! Buy many different style jig molds, pour jigs and only keep what works for you and return the rest with the understanding that if they didn't catch fish you could return them for 100% refund.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:36 AM
Charter Member

There are a few jig head shapes which create their own action, the Erie head, which can stand upright on the bottom, and which may wiggle on the drop, and the Dart, sometimes. Since I figure I can control and impart the action of a jig, I give more value to the shape as far as it's ability to not get snagged on bottom rocks. My experience has shown to me that the Walleye jig head, from Do-It molds has given me the best chance at not getting snagged as frequently as the other shapes which I have tried. Your mileage may vary.

Bill
Old 02-14-2020, 09:55 AM
Wallhanger

Had good luck using the dragging head jig design, tipped with a minnow, seem to snag less.

Smaller round hair jigs right on the shoreline early morning work well, but will snag if your not careful.

Al