Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lund auto bilge pump replacement - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 04-05-2017, 12:45 PM
Minnow

Default Lund auto bilge pump replacement

Just taking a shot here but if anyone could help me out that would be great!

I have a 2012 Lund 1825 Pro Guide and I'm in need of a new auto bilge pump. The boat is 300km away and in storage for the winter but I'd like to order one now and take it with me next time I head to the cottage. I know it's Johnson Ultima Combo model, I'm just not sure of the capacity? Pump works on manual but not auto so I just can't replace the cartridge.

If anyone could help out with sizing info I'd appreciate it. Dealer has been less than helpful.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2017, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

DJM,
Whenever I have replaced the pump, I have always installed a much larger pump than stock.

In your case, it would be nice to install a 1000 or 1500 gph on your boat.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...value0~NewUser

You likely have a 3/4 inch bilge pump line. Normally - the pumps up to 1000 gph use the 3/4 inch hose. But, then when going over 1000 gph, the hose size increases to 1 1/4 inch.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Johns...3Dbilge%2Bpump

If you want to install a larger capacity pump - not a bad idea, you will need to replace the hose with the 1 1/4 inch hose, and also replace the 3/4 inch hose bilge pump outlet with 1 1/4 inch bilge pump outlet on the side of the hull.

Be safe
Old 04-06-2017, 05:09 AM
Wallhanger

Get either the 750 or 1000 gph pump and your good to go. OR if you're really concerned about limited space and don't know which one will fit right in there without any modifications, buy both and take the one back you don't use.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2017, 11:45 AM
Keeper

if the pump works on manually it in not the pump. it is one of two things blown fuse ( that fuse is located by the battery on mine) or the senor or float is not working (which is locate on the pump it self).
Old 04-06-2017, 12:45 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob92761 View Post
if the pump works on manually it in not the pump. it is one of two things blown fuse ( that fuse is located by the battery on mine) or the senor or float is not working (which is locate on the pump it self).
This is the answer.

It is probably the float switch. Debris gets in the mechanism and the switch doesn't close. Several times a year, I reach down and manually lift the float to close the switch. Get in the habit of doing that.

Since you have a cartridge style pump order a 500 or 750 replacement and store it in your boat. Then you will have a backup if the pump fails. Live well pumps fail more often so a 500 or 750 is a perfect replacement cartridge. Next time you are in your boat pull the bilge cartridge and verify the correct pump capacity for future reference, but a small one that you keep as a spare for your livewell will work.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:10 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMcGoo View Post
Just taking a shot here but if anyone could help me out that would be great!

I have a 2012 Lund 1825 Pro Guide and I'm in need of a new auto bilge pump. The boat is 300km away and in storage for the winter but I'd like to order one now and take it with me next time I head to the cottage. I know it's Johnson Ultima Combo model, I'm just not sure of the capacity? Pump works on manual but not auto so I just can't replace the cartridge.

If anyone could help out with sizing info I'd appreciate it. Dealer has been less than helpful.

Thanks.
I had the exact same issue. Mine is a 2013 Tyee. I just replaced the following part last weekend (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and everything is back to normal. It`s the float that manages the auto on/off. There are 2 brown wire, one is stripped with red and hard to see. Make sure you splice it properly.

Ben

Last edited by BenCour; 04-06-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...+pump&tbm=shop

---------------
p.s.
It is really quite likely that you just have a jammed float. Do these cleaning steps with the boat just out of storage - before any water gets into the bilge from rain and or waves:

Check the float for any signs of damage or debris. Take a shop vacuum and give the bilge a good vacuum. Also, use an air compressor to blow into the bilge and into all of the corners to loosen up anything that might be in the bilge - while you also vacuum.

If you now have all of the debris out of the bilge, check the float to see if it is free - or if it can be freed up just by lifting it a few times. If the float is free, check the wiring - quite likely that you could just have a failed connection on the float.

Try doing these steps before removing any parts - pump and or float from your boat. You may not have any parts issues at all. Just a bad connection or plugging debris.

Good luck

Last edited by REW; 04-06-2017 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:03 PM
Wallhanger

All you need is a replacement cartridge, not a new pump housing or float switch (unless the switch is verified bad). If your only access is thru an access port, changing a pump housing and float switch is really hard because everything must be done one handed. Cartridges can be changed one handed in a minute, although making quality electrical connections takes a little time using appropriate wire connectors.

I keep my bilge really clean just to minimize the risk if a float switch malfunction. Almost sunk my boat once......
Old 04-06-2017, 07:21 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW View Post
All you need is a replacement cartridge, not a new pump housing or float switch (unless the switch is verified bad). If your only access is thru an access port, changing a pump housing and float switch is really hard because everything must be done one handed. Cartridges can be changed one handed in a minute, although making quality electrical connections takes a little time using appropriate wire connectors.

I keep my bilge really clean just to minimize the risk if a float switch malfunction. Almost sunk my boat once......

He is mentioning that the pump works on manual, not on auto. Either the flow switch is blocked by debris or it is broken. Mine was broken. I would also check the fuse which is directly connected to the battery through a brown wire.

Ben

Tags
bilge , lund , pump , replacement