Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ranger Rod locker-what's the logic? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 09-10-2018, 03:01 PM
Wallhanger

Default Ranger Rod locker-what's the logic?

So my Angler has 2 rows of 5 tubes each. Top row have slots for only 4 handles.. Bottom row is so low to the floor that spinning reels need to be set on their side.

There is room to easily push the upper row an inch plus per side. The entire rack could come up and the lower row could also come closer to the upper...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180817_142828292.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	505.7 KB
ID:	304280  
Solix 12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2018, 03:27 PM
Keeper

I found the same issue with mine, makes you wonder if the people designing these boats actually use them. I wish there was a company where you could buy a basic hull and motor, then have the company ship all the small parts loose. At least they would be installed correctly with screws that aren't all crooked and stripped. Boat industry has a ways to go in my mind.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:17 PM
Wallhanger

Rod lockers seem to be designed for bait casting reels. I keep my spinning reels in the left upper and lower slots so the handles dont interfere with the others. Mind you, I hate spinning reels and only carry 2 out of the 12 I have in my locker.

Regarding rationale, rod lockers are on the boats marketing material so the more rods they hold, the better . Even if its impossible to fit them all in there..
HB 1199 CI HD Si (Helm)
Helix 10 GPS (Dash)
Evinrude 15HO Kicker (Tiller)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2018, 09:18 PM
Charter Member

Instead of asking how many "rods" the locker will hold,,,,,,,,,, we should be asking how many rod/reel "combos" the locker will hold. Food for thought
Old 09-11-2018, 08:44 AM
Wallhanger

Just cleaned out the old Yar-craft last weekend and had 11 rod/spinning reel combos, Could've had 2-3 more in the bottom if I would have wanted. I do however use Cabella's rod socks. Only used the new Yar-craft one weekend as a Demo and noticed the rod locker latches were hitting the handles on the two outside rods, gonna have to look at that a little closer when I get it for good.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:32 AM
Wallhanger

Ranger has been a "Bass Boat " maker a long time. Spinning gear, in any number is a recent addition to bass fishing. On the other hand multispecies models have things more suitable for Spinning rods. Rod lockers are something I look closely at for the rods I normally have in there. Bob
Old 09-11-2018, 09:51 AM
Wallhanger

Looking at images that locker is way less space than 10 rods needs. Marketing is the reason for the stretch of the truth I am sure. Bob
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...act=mrc&uact=8

Last edited by Ozark Bob; 09-11-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:44 AM
Wallhanger

To the original poster, these are multi-speicies boats that these boat manufactures are trying to appeal to a large audience. Any reason you don't put your spinning rods in the top row and your bait casters in the bottom row? whats wrong with the reels laying on the floor. I'm pretty sure ranger kind of planned that based on the rubber pad that's in there?

Bob, Not sure how figure. It pretty clearly shows 10 rods in the locker. Yes, if they are 10 rods with spinning reels it's gonna be tighter but I bet they can all still fit. not sure how that's a marketing ploy or stretching the truth. My old boat only had 8 tubes however you could fit another 4 on the floor of the rod locker below the tubes very easy. Could even double up the top tube pretty easy and get another 4 (which I would do regularly as they were easier to access). So I could say my locker fits 16 rod/reel combos or is it only 8 because that's how many tubes I had? heck some guys order their boats without the tubes, does that mean there's only room for 1, or as many as they can stack in there regardless of the tangle mess they have, lol. In that case they all lay on the floor.

Sorry, I don't see this as marketing ploy, just a matter of preference, the type of rod/reel combos, and expectations on the part of the owner. I like spinning reels for most applications however I have some Calcutta's for casting big pike baits. At the end of the day these boats are considered multi-speicies and are out there for lots of different applications. If you don't like the ranger rod box, there's other boat choices. Find the one you like an make your purchase. everything is a compromise, you make your decisions on your own priorities. for some it might be price, others it could be material make or brand, others might prioritize ride or speed or some other facet. there's lots of great boats however I cann't say I've yet to find one that's perfect, lol.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:12 PM
Slot Fish

I feel the same as dieselpro.
Why does the top handle side only have room for 4 handles? Itís missing a slot for the middle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-11-2018, 02:28 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLE View Post
To the original poster, these are multi-speicies boats that these boat manufactures are trying to appeal to a large audience. Any reason you don't put your spinning rods in the top row and your bait casters in the bottom row? whats wrong with the reels laying on the floor. I'm pretty sure ranger kind of planned that based on the rubber pad that's in there?

Bob, Not sure how figure. It pretty clearly shows 10 rods in the locker. Yes, if they are 10 rods with spinning reels it's gonna be tighter but I bet they can all still fit. not sure how that's a marketing ploy or stretching the truth. My old boat only had 8 tubes however you could fit another 4 on the floor of the rod locker below the tubes very easy. Could even double up the top tube pretty easy and get another 4 (which I would do regularly as they were easier to access). So I could say my locker fits 16 rod/reel combos or is it only 8 because that's how many tubes I had? heck some guys order their boats without the tubes, does that mean there's only room for 1, or as many as they can stack in there regardless of the tangle mess they have, lol. In that case they all lay on the floor.

Sorry, I don't see this as marketing ploy, just a matter of preference, the type of rod/reel combos, and expectations on the part of the owner. I like spinning reels for most applications however I have some Calcutta's for casting big pike baits. At the end of the day these boats are considered multi-speicies and are out there for lots of different applications. If you don't like the ranger rod box, there's other boat choices. Find the one you like an make your purchase. everything is a compromise, you make your decisions on your own priorities. for some it might be price, others it could be material make or brand, others might prioritize ride or speed or some other facet. there's lots of great boats however I cann't say I've yet to find one that's perfect, lol.

It's a seasonal thing. Right now and for the past several weeks we've been trolling so my go to trolling rods are on top.

As for the spinning reels on the floor scrape and rub are one thing, but tale a closer look and tell me how to fit any more in there. They take up a ton of room when horizontal.

My previous boat was a Lund and had a nice deep pocket below the reel area. There's not much reason that this could not happen with the Ranger either other than the design change.
Solix 12