Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
micro guides for regular (St Croix in legend or avid) - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 07-22-2019, 02:34 PM
Minnow

I finally was able to see at least an Avid X in a store over the weekend and I dont think I would be a fan. they are really small and i cant see how a leader knot would even go through them.

Im not surprised they said they would be going away with them. thanks for the replies all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2019, 11:48 AM
Minnow

So I actually decided to give St Croix a call because I had some questions and they informed me the for the spinning rods. they use the same size guide in the Legend X and Legend elite. that kind of threw me off because I thought the Legend X had micro guides.

Is that just in the casting version then?
Old 07-31-2019, 12:24 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblue4016 View Post
So I actually decided to give St Croix a call because I had some questions and they informed me the for the spinning rods. they use the same size guide in the Legend X and Legend elite. that kind of threw me off because I thought the Legend X had micro guides.

Is that just in the casting version then?

I have a Legend Xtreme (spinning) that was made in 2013. It has the micro guides. I bought another last fall and it has larger guides like my LE has so at some point SC decided to change them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2019, 07:09 AM
Keeper

I would gather you all are getting old (I'm not of course). The actual micro guides were on the Duckett rods 4-8 years ago. Tiny minuscule things you barely could thread your line through. They had tons of problems with them breaking and since the industry has moved away from micro guides. What you are seeing now are the middle ground. A smaller guide that is being used with the K-series frames. The legend elite and legend X rods now employ Fuji Torzite which is a smaller ceramic than SiC so you can downsize the Frame but keep the same aperture.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:51 AM
Wallhanger

I posted a similar question a little while back about my St. Croix Rage casting rod. It has the micro guides as well and is a discontinued rod. It actually has 10 guides in about the first 2 feet from the tip (including the tip), with the first being at the 1" mark and the others at 2.5", 4.5", 6.5", 9.5", 12.5". 16.5", 20.5" and 25.5". I'm currently using it as my spinnerbait rod without a leader because of bite-offs from toothy critters and because the knot does get caught up in the guides a bit too.

It is 6'8" medium power and extra fast action. I have to say I like the rod but I wouldn't buy another with the micro guides for all of the reasons posted.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:12 AM
Slot Fish

I too have built many rods using both micro guides and standard guides and have tested them against each other for casting, weight, etc.

Fuji has studies this and has videos of line going through the guides when casting and the micro guides, with a tall reduction train (first three guides) and tiny micro guides for running guides, the line contacts the blank less and results in longer casts. I've tested micro guide setups against standard guide setups and yes, at times you can see a slight improvement in the casting distance and smoothness of the cast. Not much, hardly noticeable if you're not paying attention, but at times it's there.

Then the weight - even though the micro guides may save weight,to me it's negligible. I can build an entire 6'3" rod with guides and carbon fiber handle that weighs just a few ounces. Switch to regular guides and it weights a half ounce more or less. Negligible to me.

I've settled (unless someone requests otherwise) on a the taller reduction train with 5mm running guides, not large, not "micro". Easier to see, small, passes knots fine and works very well. Best way to get the rod you want is have it built the way you want. St Croix stopped selling the SCII, SCIII, SCIV blanks to rod builders but they are available from their factory in Mexico if you find a builder. Then you pick the size of guides and type of handle you want. Most rod builders can build you a rod for not much more than the price you pay at the store, and it's customized to you.

Good Luck!
Old 08-03-2019, 06:31 AM
Keeper

Spot on Walleyerod!! I totally agree with your take.

Tags
avid , guides , legend , micro , st croix