Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Legend Elite for verticle jigging. - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 11-21-2020, 07:51 PM
Freedom1955's Avatar
Freedom1955 Freedom1955 is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJR View Post
Hey Freedom,


It's funny this got brought up, because I was actually debating between these exact 2 models of legend elite for fishing 1/4oz and up with 8lb braid in deep water/rivers. I already have a nice 6'3 MLXF that I run 6lb mono on for my finesse/shallow water jigging, but I wanted to upgrade my Loomis E6X 6'3 MF to something better for when I vertical jig in rivers and on deep structure.

I talked to guys that own both the 6'0 MF and the 6'3 MXF Legend Elites. From what I've been told, the 6'0 MF is actually better with slightly heavier jigs, say your 1/2oz - there is just a bit less deflection in the rod tip as the rod is a tad shorter, with the tip being a bit more stiff. The rod is also rated to 5/8oz, where the 6'3 MXF is only rated to 1/2oz.

Short summary: if you mainly fish 1/4-3/8, then the 6'3 is best. But if you bomb in heavy current with 3/8-1/2, with 3/8oz being the minimum you will use, then the 6'0 MF is the way to go. For me personally, I'm probably going with the 6'3, as 3/8oz is about the heaviest I need to fish.

If I ever do need to run 1/2oz, I'll just use my 6'8 MXF.


RJR
Thanks for your post! I have been thinking about it and I was leaning towards the 6'3" mxf. My only concern was how soft (deflection) that xf action was going to be. I normally don't like xf actions.

I sent a pm to you with a lead on a used es63mxf. I would have bought it but I broke the tip on my Legend Tournament and am upgrading to the Legend Elite through St Croix's Gold Star upgrade plan.
__________________
2015 Alumacraft 145 Escape Tiller
2014 40hp Yamaha 4 Stroke VTS
2019 Humminbird Helix 12 SI
2014 Humminbird 859 ciHD DI
2014 Terrova 55 Link
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #12  
Old 11-21-2020, 08:26 PM
RJR RJR is offline
Minnow
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Regina, SK
Posts: 68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom1955 View Post
Thanks for your post! I have been thinking about it and I was leaning towards the 6'3" mxf. My only concern was how soft (deflection) that xf action was going to be. I normally don't like xf actions.

I sent a pm to you with a lead on a used es63mxf. I would have bought it but I broke the tip on my Legend Tournament and am upgrading to the Legend Elite through St Croix's Gold Star upgrade plan.

I'll give that elite a look then. Thanks for the link.

I know what you mean with the softer tip on the XF action rods being a bit of a hindrance at times. For example, on the 6'3 MLXF rods, they say you can run up to 3/8oz. I disagree. 3/8oz jigs on my mlxf overloads it, I have to much deflection in the tip because it's an XF, and end up missing out on bite detection and sensitivity because of it.

What reel were you planning on putting on your elite?


RJR
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-22-2020, 09:05 AM
Love watching floaters go by
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
When fishing the river in the 80 foot washout hole below the dam, I commonly use 1 oz jigs.

The current is so stiff and the water so deep, that anything lighter will not get to the bottom.

Just in case you wonder, Yes -- I have caught Saugers that are only 8 inches long on a 1 oz jig.

These river fish can be quite aggressive - particularly when fishing heavy current in deep holes.

If the fish aren't aggressive, the current whisks away their lunch and they starve.

------------------
But for fishing heavier jigs, I routinely use medium action Elite rods with excellent results.

Any time that I am working big waves in the wind, I will go up to a 3/8ths and possibly a 1/2 oz jig.

If one uses a lighter jig in these conditions - the jig never gets close to the bottom.

Sure, in light winds and or shallower fishing I will use 1/16th, or 3/32nz jigs on a medium light or even a light or extra light actin rods with productive results.

Simply put, the St. Roix Elite rods are excellent and will put lots of fish in the boat. Normally, that is the only type rod that I have in the boat - light action, medium light, medium and heavy action rods.

Then, I simply use the rod and the jig that is necessary to execute the style and type fishing that I am doing at the time.

I will say that for lake fishing in 5-16 feet of water, I will typically be using a ml rod, or light action rod with a 1/16th - 1/8th oz jig, if I am jig fishing.

Good luck
Anyone fishing in 80 feet below the dam for sauger should be thrown overboard for eagle bait just like the dead 8 inch saugers they keep throwing back. You are the problem. 50 years of fishing and absolutely no clue.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-22-2020, 10:10 AM
cutting edge
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
When fishing the river in the 80 foot washout hole below the dam, I commonly use 1 oz jigs.

The current is so stiff and the water so deep, that anything lighter will not get to the bottom.

Just in case you wonder, Yes -- I have caught Saugers that are only 8 inches long on a 1 oz jig.

These river fish can be quite aggressive - particularly when fishing heavy current in deep holes.

If the fish aren't aggressive, the current whisks away their lunch and they starve.

------------------
But for fishing heavier jigs, I routinely use medium action Elite rods with excellent results.

Any time that I am working big waves in the wind, I will go up to a 3/8ths and possibly a 1/2 oz jig.

If one uses a lighter jig in these conditions - the jig never gets close to the bottom.

Sure, in light winds and or shallower fishing I will use 1/16th, or 3/32nz jigs on a medium light or even a light or extra light actin rods with productive results.

Simply put, the St. Roix Elite rods are excellent and will put lots of fish in the boat. Normally, that is the only type rod that I have in the boat - light action, medium light, medium and heavy action rods.

Then, I simply use the rod and the jig that is necessary to execute the style and type fishing that I am doing at the time.

I will say that for lake fishing in 5-16 feet of water, I will typically be using a ml rod, or light action rod with a 1/16th - 1/8th oz jig, if I am jig fishing.

Good luck
As a rod builder, REW, you should know the difference between power and action...light, ml and med. etc....are power ratings. Mod., Fast and xf etc..are descriptions of action.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-22-2020, 11:43 AM
RichA$1970's Avatar
RichA$1970 RichA$1970 is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 321
Default

Just a question and it’s really your opinion, is it worth it paying the $$$ for a St Croix Legend Elite as they run near $400????

Fishing in Canada is awesome n does it really require a big cost rod???
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-22-2020, 01:51 PM
Freedom1955's Avatar
Freedom1955 Freedom1955 is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJR View Post
I'll give that elite a look then. Thanks for the link.

I know what you mean with the softer tip on the XF action rods being a bit of a hindrance at times. For example, on the 6'3 MLXF rods, they say you can run up to 3/8oz. I disagree. 3/8oz jigs on my mlxf overloads it, I have to much deflection in the tip because it's an XF, and end up missing out on bite detection and sensitivity because of it.

What reel were you planning on putting on your elite?


RJR
I like Pflueger spinning reels. Supreme thru Patriarch. Which ever one balances out the rod and real.

On my Elite 6' mlf i have the Patriarch which is perfectly balanced and the rod and reel together weigh 8.4 ounces. Unbelievably sensitive.

On the Elite 6'3" mxf because it weighs slightly more and is 3 inches longer than my 6 footer I'm guessing I will have to go with a little heavier reel which will open up more options and less costly ones also. Probably the Supreme size 25 or 30.
__________________
2015 Alumacraft 145 Escape Tiller
2014 40hp Yamaha 4 Stroke VTS
2019 Humminbird Helix 12 SI
2014 Humminbird 859 ciHD DI
2014 Terrova 55 Link
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-22-2020, 02:33 PM
Seaark1660 Seaark1660 is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 183
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom1955 View Post
I have a Legend Elite 6' mlf that I love for Vertical jigging. It's great for light jigs up to 1/4 oz. Sometimes I need to use 3/8 ounce jigs and I don't like the way it performs with the heavier jig.

I'm looking at 2 Legend Elite rods that I think would work but I cant compare them in person so I'm looking for someone that has handled one or both of these rods. They are 6' MF and the 6'3" mxf.

Which one is more sensitive and which one can handle a 3/8 ounce jig better. I normally like shorter rods for vertical jigging.
Any thoughts are welcomed.

6'3" MXF is what you want.I have 2 that I built,1 MLXF for lighter,and MXF for heavier jigs up to 1/2 oz for stronger current seams.I like to pitch jigs also,so current dictates weight.But I like to go as light as possible.But it is rare that I fish anything over 3/8 oz,I leave those scour hole fish alone,and concentrate on fish in up to 24'.Fewer fish,but better quality.Never understood the concept of pulling wind-chime saugers out of the abyss,just to kill them
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-22-2020, 04:44 PM
RJR RJR is offline
Minnow
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Regina, SK
Posts: 68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love watching floaters go by View Post
Anyone fishing in 80 feet below the dam for sauger should be thrown overboard for eagle bait just like the dead 8 inch saugers they keep throwing back. You are the problem. 50 years of fishing and absolutely no clue.

I agree, no sauger coming up from anything deeper than 35 feet is going to have a fair chance at surviving post release. Not a fan of people fishing deeper than 32 feet in general, if you want me to be honest.

RJR
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-22-2020, 04:55 PM
RJR RJR is offline
Minnow
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Regina, SK
Posts: 68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom1955 View Post
I like Pflueger spinning reels. Supreme thru Patriarch. Which ever one balances out the rod and real.

On my Elite 6' mlf i have the Patriarch which is perfectly balanced and the rod and reel together weigh 8.4 ounces. Unbelievably sensitive.

On the Elite 6'3" mxf because it weighs slightly more and is 3 inches longer than my 6 footer I'm guessing I will have to go with a little heavier reel which will open up more options and less costly ones also. Probably the Supreme size 25 or 30.

I have a 1000 Stradic FK on my E6X and it balances pretty nice. Nice thing about vertical jigging is that it's a tip down technique, so you can get away with essentially the smallest/lightest reel you want. I'm probably just going to pick up a used ci4+ 1000 to throw on my 6'3 elite.


RJR
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-22-2020, 05:57 PM
Freedom1955's Avatar
Freedom1955 Freedom1955 is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaark1660 View Post
6'3" MXF is what you want.I have 2 that I built,1 MLXF for lighter,and MXF for heavier jigs up to 1/2 oz for stronger current seams.I like to pitch jigs also,so current dictates weight.But I like to go as light as possible.But it is rare that I fish anything over 3/8 oz,I leave those scour hole fish alone,and concentrate on fish in up to 24'.Fewer fish,but better quality.Never understood the concept of pulling wind-chime saugers out of the abyss,just to kill them
Why do you prefer the XF over a fast for vertical jigging?
__________________
2015 Alumacraft 145 Escape Tiller
2014 40hp Yamaha 4 Stroke VTS
2019 Humminbird Helix 12 SI
2014 Humminbird 859 ciHD DI
2014 Terrova 55 Link
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.