Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
garage hacks - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 11-22-2020, 06:28 AM
Keeper

Take a look at this site. It might give you some ideas.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/?s=storage+ideas
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2020, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

I had a drop down stair with plywood flooring added in part of the garage attic when we down sized and build 6 years ago. Lots of room for stuff I use only frequently. Stuff like up north items, Christmas decorations, etc. It is amazing how much room some items can take up, especially when used sometimes, but not on a regular basis.

Bill
Old 11-22-2020, 12:14 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarcraft91 View Post
Don't finish the inside of the garage with drywall. Instead, install shelves between the studs using 1x or 2x lumber to make 3 1/2" deep shelves. Lots of room for storing small items, like bottles of oil, garden chemicals, etc.

Hang pegboard on the walls for tool storage.

Isn't that where the insulation is supposed to go?
Old 11-22-2020, 02:21 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Lunker View Post
Finally making your move south Brian?
Yes, this June. Moving to Hot Springs, Arkansas. I will be getting rid of A LOT of stuff, so for everyone that is saying "throw things out", I am steadily accomplishing that along with trips to Goodwill and selling things on Craigslist. Even considering selling my Yarcraft.
The ideas on here about the garage are helpful. The one about "you're only limited by your imagination", that's the problem, otherwise I wouldn't be seeking ideas here! Thanks everyone in advance...
Brian
Old 11-22-2020, 02:24 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Brian,
If you have not built the garage yet, do yourself a favor and do NOT put any windows in the garage. It is easy enough to light up a garage with LED lighting.

With no windows, security is increased greatly in the garage. i.e. no easy entrance or peeking by a potential looter.

But a very very very big advantage of no windows is that you lose no storage or wall space by having a window that you have to work around in the garage.

-----------------------------------
For myself, I used 2x4s and 4/8 sheets of 3/4 inch plywood to make shelves and benches as required.

I would run a 2x4 from the floor to the ceiling or upper rafters and secure them. Then, I would run a 2x4 from the board against the wall out to the one that has been setup for a bench or a shorter one that is set up for a shelf. I would run a brace every 4 feet. For the shelves, I would take a 4x8 sheet of plywood and rip it down the center to give me quality shelving that is two feet wide and 8 feet long. Or, if less room is available, cut the board twice or three times to make the shelves 16 inches wide or 12 inches wide. Then, use nice screws to hold everything together and you have a setup that will be strong and long lasting, but if necessary can be disassembled by simply removing screws and reconfigured.

But, above all, before moving - down size and get rid of all of the things that you don't absolutely need and don't need to store. Just clench your teeth and for everybody that is involved in the move, have them go through every single item that is being considered for a move and if not absolutely necessary and a plan for that items use in the new location, pitch it to the garbage, good will, or give it away. I am not a believer in garage sales. I would just rather give things away than having former treasures being pawed over and being asked to sell a treasured item for a few pennies on the dollar.

Best wishes.
Good advice about the windows REW and I am already getting LED's for lights installed. Thanks!
Old 11-22-2020, 02:27 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Krejca View Post
I had a drop down stair with plywood flooring added in part of the garage attic when we down sized and build 6 years ago. Lots of room for stuff I use only frequently. Stuff like up north items, Christmas decorations, etc. It is amazing how much room some items can take up, especially when used sometimes, but not on a regular basis.

Bill

I like that Bill. Thanks!
Old 11-22-2020, 02:28 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawman View Post
That's the kind of site I was looking for. Thanks Clawman.
Old 11-22-2020, 02:30 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishn_pa View Post
Take a look at this site. It might give you some ideas.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/?s=storage+ideas
Love it, thanks Fish_pa!
Old 11-22-2020, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

As clawman said Garage Journal Gallery
https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...isplay.php?f=7
Old 11-22-2020, 05:44 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1785 View Post
Even considering selling my Yarcraft. Brian
Yikes ! Going to change over to a bass platform? No more trips to WB?