Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Pellet Smoker Recommendations - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2020, 10:26 AM
Wallhanger

Not a pellet grill/smoker but a Master Built electric smoker does a good job and holds more then my Treager. I had one and sold it when I got the Treager. I wish I had kept it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2020, 02:16 PM
Minnow

I will confirm you can't go wrong with a camp chef... specifically a woodwind. If you have good wifi throughout your home get a woodwind. If you don't or wifi isn't important then look at a non wifi model. But I can tell you wifi will allow you to not babysit your smoker and go about your life. With wifi, you can run your pellet grill across the country if you want. It works great for me. I researched them all. Rec Tec was my second choice due to quality but they lack features and the cost vs. size played a factor in my decision. Pit Boss is good quality but did not like the slide grill function on theirs. Traeger woodfire connect is cool because you can just select a recipe on their app and it will run the recipe but I felt there were better built for the price. Green Mountain was nice too but a friend of mine had one that was very temperamental.
Camp Chef was decided on based on research and these features...... Slide open and dump can for ash cleanout for your firebox, wifi feature, PID controller technology, slide and grill feature, build quality, customer support, military/first responder discount, add on sear box, grill box, pizza oven etc., which no other company offers, also their pellet dump feature is great to change wood flavor. I will say whatever you choose ensure your controller contains PID technology. That is what holds the temperatures so precise within a few degrees and no huge swings. I have never received so many compliments on my bbq until I got my camp chef woodwind.
Of note, is that the smoke profile of any pellet grill. It is a more subtle cleaner smoke flavor that more compliments the food flavor vs. overtaking the foods. I have been told several times how people like the flavor of the smoke and asked what wood I was using. Smoke can be adjusted with smoke tubes or some different woods but you will have to experiment what you like.
Like I said, I felt I was spending substantial money on the product so I went over everything and made sure I viewed and spoke to owners of every model I was invested in.. camp chef was the overall winner for me.
Check out camp chef smoker smokers on facebook to see the camp chef products in action and owner input.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GFY; 10-18-2020 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-18-2020, 05:50 PM
Wallhanger

My RecTeq Bullseye is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Super excited! Wanted a RT700 but thought it was going to be too big.
HB Helix 12/SI & 1198SI
101# Terrova w/IPilot
2019 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7 Cummins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2020, 07:57 PM
Wallhanger

I have a Cuisinart Twin Oaks which is a pellet smoker on one side and a gas grill on the other. It has done a very good job for me and replaced a Weber Genesis Silver. Holds 30 lbs of pellets and both lids are insulated with windows. Nice for the money.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:09 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
Has anyone tried a Daniel Boone Green Mountain?
I've had mine for a little over a month. Went with the Prime Plus.

Been using it every weekend to get used to it. Heats up fast and keeps consistent temps. Like the dual meat probes as I'm relatively new to smoking and prolonged cooking. Did a 10lb pork but this last weekend, turned out perfect.

Easy to clean out too. Very happy so far.

WIFI set up was a little confusing, but once I got it connected I have had no issues. You can setup timers and save a cooking profile in the app, but haven't gotten that far yet.

I have also used it for grilling burgers/brats and haven't fired up the Weber since I bought this one.

I was also considering Camp Chef and RecTec, but I have a Green Mountain dealer close by and the others do not.

Last edited by RistoRap; 10-19-2020 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:58 AM
Wallhanger

I have a Masterbuilt analog vertical smoker, A Masterbuilt Digital
vertical smoker, use both with cold smoke side box. Very pleased with them, still going to use the MES for my fish. Problem with the cold smoke box is that the wood chips always get stuck to the sides and don't always fall to the electric element. Not a huge deal, just have to tap it a bit but you have to babysit it which is not bad if doing fish but a pain for longer smokes.
Since i want to start doing pulled pork and briskets I decided to purchase a pellet smoker. I decided on a budget unit to start out- The Z-grill 550. Supposedly a Traeger clone, I did the burn in a couple days ago and am doing my first smoke as I type. I'll post review in about 6 hrs. I see myself upgrading to a Rec Teq in the future if the i like how the pellet grills smoke
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201019_110239.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	508.0 KB
ID:	322010   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201019_111332.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	543.3 KB
ID:	322012  
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel
2 Big Jon Capt packs riggers
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 10-19-2020, 11:57 AM
Keeper

I have a non-wifi Choice series GMG Daniel Boone. I love it. The Prime series seems to have some quality control problems. I can put a pork butt on at 5 pm and not have to touch it until it's time to come off at about 11 am the next day. I use my own Bluetooth thermometer to monitor the meat and grill temp.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:03 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
Has anyone tried a Daniel Boone Green Mountain?
I have had my Daniel Boone for about 2 years now and love it. Has the insulator blanket on it and that keeps the temps very steady even in the winter time. Would buy another in a heartbeat.
Old 10-19-2020, 01:26 PM
Keeper

https://www.recteq.com/RT-2500-BFG-W...Grill-Sold-Out

This is the one I want to get. I'd like the MAK three star but can live with the rectec for 6k less
Old 10-19-2020, 01:33 PM
Slot Fish

I've had a Daniel Boone for over 10 years and have been very pleased.