Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
CCleaner turing into nagware - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2018, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Default CCleaner turing into nagware

I know it's free or you can donate, but CCleaner is turning into nagware with popups every few days stopping you from using it with the update popup window. When this comes up and i tell it "no" I have to close out and re-enter the program to use it.

Any other alternatives out there for a quick cleanup without involving Trend or Malwarebytes?

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2018, 08:46 PM
Wallhanger

Pooch,

If you don't get a good response to your actual question, you could try unchecking the box that says check for automatic updates. (See image)

FWIW, I don't have to get out of the web page I am on when the box pops up. I just x out of the pop-up. I'm using Chrome for the browser.

Nimstug

I still do not recall what was revealed the day the music died.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cc.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	284410  
Old 01-27-2018, 05:11 AM
Wallhanger

I quit using CC Cleaner a long time ago. Not only were the pop-ups irritating but it altered my Windows 7 registry. It took a long time to fix it. I now use Mil Shield 7.9 and Webroot's Window Washer. Neither one was free, but well worth the price I paid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2018, 05:57 AM
Charter Member

I use C Cleaner every day and am very well pleased with the results of the software.

I do use an ad blocker on my pc and have 0 issues with pop ups from this or any other software.

I use Google Chrome for a browser as well.

Good luck
Old 01-27-2018, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Turn OFF the option to run on startup. Do not let it run in the background.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=Nimstug;5968514]Pooch,

If you don't get a good response to your actual question, you could try unchecking the box that says check for automatic updates. (See image)

FWIW, I don't have to get out of the web page I am on when the box pops up. I just x out of the pop-up. I'm using Chrome for the browser.

Since my original post I've been doing more reading on CCleaner. It was bought out by Avast and that seems to be when some of the complaints against it began to multiply.

"Unchecking" the auto updates box does not stop it from looking for an update or originating the upgrade popup. Even with the latest version the nag popup still "pops up".

I've grown to like and respect the open architecture software offered by Mozilla and others. Some ask for donations to support their efforts and I do through Paypal. Too bad CCLeaner didn't go that route before selling out. Maybe they did, I have no idea.

If you try to read some of the postings, CCleaner has had some problems (not unlike others) with third party download sites dropping spyware and info gathering (virus?) program along with the legit download.

Going along fat, dumb and happy isn't going to protect oneself from malware without some vigilance on your part. I've learned that since I started using a PC in 1988 and later began using the WWW when it became available to the rest of us.

Some days I miss my old modem.... Then again probably not.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 01-27-2018, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
Turn OFF the option to run on startup. Do not let it run in the background.

I did that yesterday morning and so far this morning it is behaving better. We'll see if that lasts after a day or two. Thanks for telling me that it does work. Since I use Mozilla Firefox, there might have been a compatibility issue at one time, but that should be fixed by now?

Pooch

Old 01-28-2018, 06:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
I did that yesterday morning and so far this morning it is behaving better. We'll see if that lasts after a day or two. Thanks for telling me that it does work. Since I use Mozilla Firefox, there might have been a compatibility issue at one time, but that should be fixed by now?

Pooch
I use it with Firefox as well. No popups. I also run Avast (free version) and it DOES get naggy

If you do update CC - you need to select both again.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:16 PM
Wallhanger

I don't know if the free version of Avast has the option in settings that Premier does, but there is a box you can uncheck for the popups.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy View Post
I don't know if the free version of Avast has the option in settings that Premier does, but there is a box you can uncheck for the popups.
No - just the paid one.