Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
St. Croix Premier vs Bass X? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2019, 09:03 PM
Minnow

Default St. Croix Premier vs Bass X?

Hi, I am in the market for a new St Croix rod between 6'6 and 7' medium power fast action casting rod. It will mainly be used for smallmouth bass and larger pike. On occasion it will be used for bottom bouncing and jigging walleyes as a secondary rod to my Eyecon. HAs anyone ever used either the Premier or Bass X? If so, which one did you preffer. Is there a large difference in sensitivity. I like the fact that the Premier is made in the USA vs Mexico for the Bass X. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2019, 06:01 AM
Wallhanger

Can't answer that one....because I have all things St. Croix!
Old 01-23-2019, 07:01 AM
Minnow

I don't have experience with the Bass X, but have both 7' Premier and Avid casting rods and know that you wouldn't be disappointed with a Premier. If you are looking at using it as a pike rod at all I would look hard at MH vs. M action. More than anything helps with throwing a little larger lure and I don't think you loose much if you still throw smaller smallmouth cranks, etc. I have one M action casting rod that I don't really every pick up anymore because the MH seems to be more versatile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2019, 07:42 AM
Keeper

The Bass X are technique specific actions. You saying you want a 6'6" or 7' rod would denote the more general actions of the Premiere. The blanks are the exact same.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:47 AM
Keeper

I've been told by the folks in Park Falls that although the bass X and other Mexican produced rods use the same blank as the Premier and Avid that the American made rods are better. Now it could be that the WI folks are wanting to save their jobs??? IDK but I do like the fact of using WI made fishing rods.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:11 AM
Keeper

I would say they are better in the respect of different/better guides on the premiere than compared to the bass x. Also, the craftsmanship is better in my opinion on the Premiere. I always check out when we get new batches of rods come in and there always seem to be the Mexican rods sometimes have slight flaws, where I see none in the Premieres.

Tags
new rod , pike , smallmouth bass , st croix , walleye