Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Retirement Day 1 - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2021, 05:10 AM
Wallhanger

If you have retirement or tax questions come up, there is a pretty decent group on Facebook called NewRetirement. The group evolved from using the same retirement software calculator called New Retirement. Most folks use the free version but some of us pay for a few extra features.
Lowrance Gen2 Touch 9 with network to the trolling motor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2021, 06:52 AM
Wallhanger

Thanks everyone! No, I did not intentionally choose April Fools Day as Retirement Day 1, it just happened that way. I turned 64 at the end of March so I decided that was a good time to call it quits. I put in my notice on March 1 and wanted to end on the last day of a pay period.

I had a great 35 year run in pharmaceutical research and development. I helped develop a bunch of different medicines over the years, some of which y'all may be using now or have taken in the past.

REW, I'm very close to my family and they remain the most important thing in my life. I also love to fish and do it a lot. It is my source of relaxation, especially during the week when the crazy boaters are not there. And regarding your fiery furnace, I'm going to try to avoid that for as long as possible. My dad made it to almost 98 and my mom is still going strong at 94. I live life and decided a long time ago that when it's my time to go I'm sliding into home plate!
Old 04-02-2021, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

MoJo,

Absolutely!!!
Old 04-02-2021, 08:33 AM
Minnow

I found soon after retirement that I had so many things I'd put off for 'when I have time' that I still see after 6 years that I don't know how I ever had time to work a regular job. Moved to be closer to the kids & grandkids, but soon found that they are old enough to have their own lives, don't see them near as much as expected. Just find your tasks for each day, and hope that they're all enjoyable and NOT work.
Old 04-04-2021, 05:59 PM
Wallhanger

I retired in 2014 at 62
I didn't want to work until I was too old to enjoy retirement. I was a little concerned about money at first but after 7 years my IRA is more than when I retired. I did make sure I had no debt going in.
I don't do expensive travel but fish & camp around Michigan as much as I want. The last 7 year's have been the happiest of my life.
Old 04-04-2021, 06:28 PM
Keeper

Congratulations, I hope you enjoy every minute of it for a long, long time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2021, 09:51 AM
Wallhanger

Congratulations!! Enjoy your retirement!
I can retire at 50 so I have 9.5 years to go.
Old 04-05-2021, 10:18 AM
Wallhanger

Congratulations! You now get to Dance to your own tune. I retired 31 December 2015 and have enjoyed every moment.
Lowrance Hook2 5 SplitShot Bow
2007 Mercury 5HP Kicker when needed
2020 Ford F-150 SuperCrew XLT 2.7 ECO
Old 04-05-2021, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Mojo, welcome to the club !!! I joined on 1/1/1997. Lots of fun fishing. My neighbor/fishing partner and I used to start out with a phone call, "Tomorrow looks like a good day for a boat ride. Yup, might as well take a lunch along if it takes too long. Yup, might as well take tackle along since we're going to be out there. Yup, makes sense. Leave at 8 am (his wife always packed the lunch and didn't want to get up early) and be back about 5 pm to not be late for supper. Worked well for us.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:14 PM
Wallhanger

Thanks everyone! It's kind a funny, I haven't heard a single response from anyone questioning whether it was a good decision or the right decision. It's mostly I'm retired and loving it, or I'm planning to retire soon and am looking forward to it, or I'm jealous.

My dad was actually retired for longer than he worked, but I'd have to make it to age 99 to beat him. However, he got work credit for the time he spent in the 1st Devision Marines during WWII for his leisurely visits to Peleliu and Okinawa. He had to carry a BAR around the islands and dodge a few bombs and bullets, but he got two purple hearts as rewards for his visits. How he made it to almost 98 years old continues to amaze me.