Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Charging boat with small generator. - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 04-12-2021, 08:04 AM
Keeper

Default Charging boat with small generator.

My sons and I like to camp and fish at primitive sites. I’ve charged my boat in the past with a big 7500 watt generator but saw a small “tailgater” generator at harbor freight on clearance for around $125. How would something like that work? Any chance it could damage the chargers or batteries?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2021, 08:28 AM
Keeper

I have been using a suitcase coleman generator for over ten years now with no issues. On board charger on front trolling motor batteries and when needed i plug in charger for back batteries...Chico...
Old 04-12-2021, 09:05 AM
Wallhanger

I've used my Yamaha 2000 to charge my boats batteries before. Works great, and an inverter generator is so much more mobile (and quiet) than the open frame contractor style generators.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2021, 06:30 PM
Keeper

Good to know y’all aren’t having issues. I was worried the current was too dirty and might damage something over the long haul.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:09 PM
Wallhanger

The manual for your charger has a warning about power source. Read that for the answer. Quality chargers typically dont approve poor wave forms leaving an inverter as the only option.

If your gen has a 12v output, that may be a better option.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:30 PM
Keeper

I operate a 4 x 10 amp onboard charger with a Honda 2000 all the time. On the average week long remote trip it probably runs around 60 hours charging batteries.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:00 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW View Post
The manual for your charger has a warning about power source. Read that for the answer. Quality chargers typically dont approve poor wave forms leaving an inverter as the only option.

If your gen has a 12v output, that may be a better option.
The inverter style generators (Honda and Yamaha) provide clean power for electronics. Another reason to spend more on them than something from Harbor Freight or the like.
Old 04-14-2021, 04:57 AM
Wallhanger

I checked with Dual Pro before I bought a generator and for my 3 bank 10 amp I was advised a Honda 1000 would do the job. It has worked great. 1 tank of fuel is enough to get all charged up and ready. I think you will need a bigger unit for a 4 bank charger as I was told I needed 900 amps for a 3 bank. Makes fishing with no power to charge easy.
Have a great day.
Jim
Old 04-14-2021, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

On trip with 3 boats we had one boat with a single bank 10 amp charger, another with a 2 bank 10-10 charger and the 3rd boat had a 3 bank 10-10-6 charger. With a 1000w Honda generator we could plug in any combination of 2 boats at the same time but not all three. We had to have the boats close enough that we weren't using any extension cords over 25' long.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:53 AM
Keeper

I will add that on top of the 40 amps that the charger draws, I can charge my hand held VHF radio and cell phone at the same time with the Honda 2000. I use a 90’ long, 12 gauge extension cord to the boat because you can’t always find level ground to place the generator near the shoreline. It can take around 7 hours to charge the 31 group AGM’s for the Terrova if they’ve been worked in the Montana wind. I’ve found that starting the generator just before crawling in the sleeping bag, everything is topped off by early morning.