Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lake McConaughy 4.17.21 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 04-19-2021, 12:41 PM
Wallhanger

Default Lake McConaughy 4.17.21

The walleye spawn is on fire off of the dam. Friday's weather was not too much fun. Drove through 6" of snow, rain, wind and cold. Once at the water, 20-25 mph winds out of the NNW, 27 degrees, with rain, snow and driven sleet. We fished for 5 hours, and zero fish landed. Bank fishermen were catching a few eaters with the occasional 10+ big girls landed. Probably 10 boats and 50 bank fishermen on Friday night in the conditions. The new boat was really nice and handled rough water very well. I saw some smaller 16' boats start to head out, and turned right back around and loaded up. The Drotto worked fantastic and made my life so much easier with a busy, wave pounded ramp.

Saturday was a little better all around. About 75 boats, and triple the bank fishermen. Temps around 30 degrees, winds at 10-15 mph. We caught a nice 6.5 lb fish and followed up with another fat 5 lb fish. Saw lots of over 10 lbs caught from shore and boats. Water temp was about 44 degrees, and locals have been catching them the last few weekends.

We lost quite of few fish at the boat, either breaking off or coming off. I had 3 people in the boat that all lack some of the skill needed to fish like this and at night, in these conditions. I spent my entire trip tying on lures, and running the boat. I think at last count I am minus just over 30 lost lures. Some would get hung up the minute the lure hit the water.

The fish were all caught in 4-8 feet of water at about 1.5 to 1.8 mph, Smithwick Super Rogues, KVD Walleye Elite Jerkbaits, and Husky Jerks all caught the most fish, in clown pattern or firetiger.

Patience is the key, as mine was tested a few times. People come from all over the nation to experience this at night, and some know what they are doing, some don't, and some just experiment.

98% of the bank fishermen and boaters are respectful, as it is always the 2% that can ruin a trip. People trolling at 3 mph that bang into the back of your already moving boat, people with no bow or stern lights, people going the wrong direction when trolling (must troll from South to North), etc. Then throw in the occasional boater who feels their boat can squeeze between your boat, and the bank fishermen, trimmed up with the big motor wound out at 3000 rpms while banging off the rocks and catching everyones' lines. As my wife stated 'it's all about the journey, not the destination' as well as 'you can't fix stupid'.

It was a good trip, and we brought home eaters, but just not our 10 lb+ trophy everyone was after. The fish are very fat and healthy, and I found several big schools of Alewives, so forage is not a concern as of yet. We met more great people from Nebraska, and enjoyed adult beverages later at the hotel while warming up.
Lowrance Elite 9Ti2
Lowrance Elite 7Ti2
Pulled by 2020 Chevy Trail Boss

Last edited by Husker525; 04-19-2021 at 01:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2021, 12:54 PM
Wallhanger

A couple of eater photos. Found some big girls suspended over deep water, resting after fornicating.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210418_000327_1618858309619.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	384.8 KB
ID:	325802   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0073_1618858380810.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	325804   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210417_214743_1618858391990.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	325806  
Lowrance Elite 9Ti2
Lowrance Elite 7Ti2
Old 04-19-2021, 04:21 PM
Wallhanger

Sounds like an adventure. Glad you got into some.

I'm not sure I would be patient enough to put up with some of that, but who knows. Reminds me of dip netting the Kenai river a few years ago.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2021, 07:41 AM
Slot Fish

Default Big Mac

Years ago, while living in Nebraska, I got a chance to ride along with the Nebraska Game and Parks people in their "shock" boat as they electro-fished the spawning walleyes along the lake McConoughy dam. Was told to sit down, don't stand up and watch out for the long net handles swinging over your head as they netted. Quite an experience. Later took my Lund out and photographed them shocking (got pictures).
Old 04-20-2021, 09:10 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watertank1 View Post
Years ago, while living in Nebraska, I got a chance to ride along with the Nebraska Game and Parks people in their "shock" boat as they electro-fished the spawning walleyes along the lake McConoughy dam. Was told to sit down, don't stand up and watch out for the long net handles swinging over your head as they netted. Quite an experience. Later took my Lund out and photographed them shocking (got pictures).
That would be on my bucket list of things I would like to do for sure! You are very blessed! I got to help with the spawn at Chatfield Reservoir a few years ago, and that was fun, but no way like Big Mac.
Lowrance Elite 9Ti2
Lowrance Elite 7Ti2
Old 04-20-2021, 11:16 AM
Keeper

Combat Fishing..... Im not far from there. The week before you posted this there was an incident that involved gun threats and another boat intentionally ramming a fellow boater into the dam tearing a hole in the hull.

I quit doing the night thing in 2019 and don't intended to go back being less than 1.5 hrs from my front door.

You sir have far more luck or patience than I.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:17 AM
Minnow

I go fishing to get away from people...not play in a group of 100+ people. That doesn't sound like any fun at all and I would have zero patience. Any of the SD Missouri river reservoirs or Lake Erie can and will kick out your 10+ lb fish with a lot less headache. Glad you had a good time though, as that is what it is all about.
Old 04-21-2021, 01:01 PM
Wallhanger

Default Mac

Thank you for posting and glad you enjoyed your trip. Spillway Ramp is about fifty miles from my residence and I try to avoid Mac (at night) like the plague this time of year. You are being very generous in your percentage of thoughtful boaters, and like some have pointed out it has gotten to the point of being somewhat unsafe. Again thanks for the post
Old 04-24-2021, 08:49 AM
Minnow

yes I've done the dam at night 4 times in the last 7 years. no way Im doing it in my boat though. Its crazy enuff from the dam.
2016 Ram CCLB Cummins
All metal all the time.
Old 04-30-2021, 08:15 AM
Keeper

Default New Boat?

Husker,

What did you end up with for the new boat? Haven't been on the site much. We watch our 5 yr old grandson 4 days a week, and are pretty exhausted by the end of the day. Looking forward to another good year. He actually caught 7 walleye on Chatfield last summer, so he's pretty excited about another fishing season.

I am selling my Lund. It's a 2006 1950 Tyee with a 225 HO Evinrude etec. Been a great boat. I've been on lakes all over CO, UT, WY, NE, SD, MN, CAN, with it, and it has performed flawlessly, but my wife is tired of it, and wants more comfort....so, a 22" Bennington pontoon, sport fish will be here in a couple weeks. Sad day for me. I've loved this boat, but we are both closing in on 70 and time for something more relaxing. I guess!