Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Anyone running with a Trailer Tux on a Ranger boat? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 04-26-2021, 06:21 PM
Wallhanger

Default Anyone running with a Trailer Tux on a Ranger boat?

I just installed a Trailer Tux on a 2014 Ranger 621 and the Trailer Tux is against the cover where the Ulterra motor protrudes. Has anyone dealt with this? I'm wondering if I should run with it like this or should something be done before taking it on the road?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-04-22 13.44.44.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	325956   Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-04-22 13.45.11.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	503.9 KB
ID:	325958   Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-04-22 13.45.19.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	325960  

Last edited by SDRanger621; 04-26-2021 at 06:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2021, 06:49 PM
Wallhanger

I haven’t seen that before.

I’d send those pics to Bob and get his thoughts.

Waxy
Old 04-26-2021, 07:21 PM
Wallhanger

I did that. He said he could have cut the tux lower. I asked if it might cause a problem touching the factory cover but I didn't get an answer. I hate to cut up and modify a new Trailer Tux myself.

I would think with everything being factory, someone other than me may have dealt with this already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
I haven’t seen that before.

I’d send those pics to Bob and get his thoughts.

Waxy

Last edited by SDRanger621; 04-26-2021 at 07:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2021, 07:27 PM
Wallhanger

Does anyone else have pictures of their TrailerTux installed on a Ranger with Ulterra motor and factory cover?
Old 04-27-2021, 08:23 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbrand View Post
I did that. He said he could have cut the tux lower. I asked if it might cause a problem touching the factory cover but I didn't get an answer. I hate to cut up and modify a new Trailer Tux myself.

I would think with everything being factory, someone other than me may have dealt with this already.
Yeah, it's too bad that didn't get caught before it was finished, would have been easy to cut that section an inch or two lower.

Looking at the pictures, I really don't think it'll end up being a big deal. The Tux is nice and tight, it shouldn't move much, and it doesn't look like there's a ton of contact. As long as your travel tarp is fairly tight, there should be very little movement in it at that point. A little rubbing of fabric on fabric shouldn't be a huge problem I wouldn't think, but you never know.

If it were me, I'd hit the highway for a couple hundred miles, keep an eye on it, and see how it goes. That should give everything a chance to stretch out a little and give you an idea if you're going to have any issues with rubbing. Best case scenario, you're good to go, worst case, you'll have to take it off and either get Bob to modify it a little, or try to modify it yourself.

Here's a dumb question for you - is it possible to stow your Ulterra with the prop facing the other direction? That would likely solve your problem. I know with my Xi5, I can stow it with the prop facing either way in the cradle, but I'm not sure how the Ulterra works with it's self stow mechanism.

Hopefully someone else can chime in, I'm sure there's hundreds of them out there.

Waxy
Old 04-27-2021, 09:23 AM
Minnow

You can turn an ultera to stow the other direction. It tells you how in the book. Looking at the pics you may want to consider that because if u dont undo that side when putting your boat in the water the trolling motor prop might hook the top of the trailer tux when coming off the trailer. I had a Rockgard on a Lund a few years ago I turned the ultera around on because of that issue. Didnt always remember to undo it when I was excited to get in the water.
Old 04-27-2021, 01:05 PM
Wallhanger

I might try that. I am a little worried about what it would do to the cover and the way it tailored to fit the Ultera. I don't want to start busting Ultera props from stress of the cover either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schpud View Post
You can turn an ultera to stow the other direction. It tells you how in the book. Looking at the pics you may want to consider that because if u dont undo that side when putting your boat in the water the trolling motor prop might hook the top of the trailer tux when coming off the trailer. I had a Rockgard on a Lund a few years ago I turned the ultera around on because of that issue. Didnt always remember to undo it when I was excited to get in the water.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:13 PM
Wallhanger

Here's a picture of my 2020 Ranger 620FS Cup with Ulterra trolling motor, Ranger factory cover and Trailer Tux. The Ulterra makes the cover stick out from the bow just above the Trailer Tux, not into the Trailer Tux; the cover and Trailer Tux don't touch anywhere. I don't think it would be a problem if they did touch, though, as long as it wasn't a strain on the mesh fabric of the Trailer Tux.

Taking the Trailer Tux out of the discussion, I've wondered whether the stress of the cover might be bad for the Ulterra, too.

Gerry
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	covered.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	325974  
Old 04-27-2021, 06:55 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbrand View Post
I just installed a Trailer Tux on a 2014 Ranger 621 and the Trailer Tux is against the cover where the Ulterra motor protrudes. Has anyone dealt with this? I'm wondering if I should run with it like this or should something be done before taking it on the road?
put a Minnkota Trolling motor quick release bracket on and slide it backwards when trailering? Prob not a big deal, I wouldnt think the tarp could possibly hurt the TM. those are made pretty tough to witstand bottom hits in rocks timber etc. I do both ....a lot
Old 04-28-2021, 03:14 PM
Wallhanger

I checked on stowing the Ultera differently but the Ultera prop would then be at the front taking the stress from the cover. I've busted Ultera props while traveling with the cover on, so that's not an option I want to do. Looking at Gerry's boat, the TrailerTux looks to be sloping down / shorter at the nose. Mine is the same height as the sides. The front support actually has a 6" extension welded to it. I imagine I will run it the way it is and see how it goes. If it ends up a problem, I imagine I'll have to work on my fabricating skills and slope the top of the Trailertux down in the front, similar to Gerry's.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2021-04-28 15.05.33.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	326002   Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-04-28 15.06.16.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	326004  

Last edited by SDRanger621; 04-28-2021 at 03:20 PM.