Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Anybody here know about robotic lawnmowers? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 05-09-2021, 01:49 PM
Wallhanger

Default Anybody here know about robotic lawnmowers?

I have a LOT of grass to mow here, and the more time I spend on the zero turn mower, the less time I spend fishing. I'd like to see how much of the job a robotic mower could do for me to free up some of that time.

I'm not looking for the cheapest machine out there, but rather for the one that will serve me the best (even if it turns out to be the most expensive). The kinds of things I think of as best:
  • reliable
  • powerful (I have some meaningful slopes)
  • excellent guidance system (I have ponds, too!)
  • produces a very nice cut
  • bonus points for low or easy maintenance
  • bonus points for charging station that is set up for or can readily be adapted to solar power (I have a large grassy area pretty far from the house)
I've been looking at what some manufacturers have to say about their machines, but of course they all bury their performance statistics in marketing blather. Not even sure I've found all of them (and maybe not even the best of them) that are out there, either. I sure could use some independent, knowledgeable/experienced advice on them, if anyone here has any such to share!

Thanks!

Gerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2021, 05:50 PM
Slot Fish

I looked into them as I have a large lawn and i hate mowing. I didn’t see anything big enough to handle my lawn so i decided Im going to wait a few years and get an actual robot to drive the lawn mower i already have. Until that happens i pay a landscaping company to mow it for me.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:09 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate0404 View Post
... Until that happens i pay a landscaping company to mow it for me.
Not a bad strategy. Unfortunately, my wife feels that as long as I'm able-bodied enough to go fishing and hunting, I'm able-bodied enough to take care of our place. She isn't wrong - and I'm reluctant to argue with her about it given how accommodating she's been in other respects, e.g. not putting up any resistance to my buying an expensive new boat last year and my looking for a vacation property on the shore of an excellent fishing lake this year - but we've a ridiculous amount of acreage of grass. I've BEEN waiting and looking and thinking... I want to ACT soon!

Gerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2021, 06:36 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate0404 View Post
... Until that happens i pay a landscaping company to mow it for me.
Not a bad strategy. Unfortunately, my wife feels that as long as I'm able-bodied enough to go fishing and hunting, I'm able-bodied enough to take care of our place. She isn't wrong - and I'm reluctant to argue with her about it given how accommodating she's been in other respects, e.g. not putting up any resistance to my buying an expensive new boat last year and my looking for a vacation property on the shore of an excellent fishing lake this year - but we've a ridiculous amount of acreage of grass. I've BEEN waiting and looking and thinking... I want to ACT soon!

Gerry
What models are you considering?
Old 05-10-2021, 01:09 AM
Wallhanger

Default Devils advocate

So what does a robotic mower have to do with you being able bodied?

What about a rider with a wider deck?
Old 05-10-2021, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

Since money does not appear to be a restraint, consider the purchase of a currently available tractor and A -150 inch wide gang mower.

https://www.4startools.com/C70-090H-...s-C70-090H.htm

This should reduce your mowing time by at least 50%.

-----------------
However, if you don't have storage - you may need to construct an additional pole barn to shelter your new tractor and mower for a few more green bills.

-------------------------
Or, purchase the cyclone "Super Flex".

This will give you a 20 foot wide cutting width. You will be able to reduce your mowing times by a factor of 10. Again, when you need big, and price is no object.

http://www.befco.com/products/flex/superflex.html

In addition, you will need a 60hp tractor - like this one to pull the mower:
https://www.tractorhouse.com/listing...-workmaster-60

So, $50K will cover the mower and tractor purchase very nicely.

Less than either your truck or your boat purchases I expect.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Years ago, when growing up on a farm in Montana, my father started farming with implements that were 10 feet wide. By his retirement, he was farming with implements that were 30 feet wide.
Now, the current farmer of the land is using implements that are 70 feet wide. It is all about production and speed.

For you - assuming that you have huge amounts of grass to cut, mower cutting width will solve your issue.

----------------------------
You did say that you had an unimaginable amount of grass to cut. So using a mower of unimaginable width will nicely fix your issue.

Best wishes.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:15 AM
Wallhanger

What kind of zero turn mower do you have right now?
How much is "A LOT" of grass?
Is it a field, or is it your "lawn?"
How long does it take you to mow?

Last edited by Derwood; 05-10-2021 at 07:18 AM.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:39 AM
Wallhanger

You should definitely think about native plantings. Good for the environment, good aesthetically. Think of all the bees and butterflies you could help. You’re not shirking your responsibilities you're saving the planet! What good does room to roam do kids if they’re going to die on an uninhabitable planet in 30 years. Really, when you think about it it’s selfish* to have all that lawn.

*the greenhouse gases you’re producing with your boat are vital to your well-being an entirely different subject and it would be very petty for anyone to bring that up.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:47 AM
Wallhanger

I wouldn't put much faith in a robotic lawn mower yet. They still can't make a self driving car without it crashing. All it takes is something on the lawn it doesn't expect and its done. I have 5 acres and it takes me 2 hours with a Scag zero turn with lots of trees. One mower can only handle a limited amount of lawn.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:55 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzoofisher View Post
You should definitely think about native plantings. Good for the environment, good aesthetically. Think of all the bees and butterflies you could help. You’re not shirking your responsibilities you're saving the planet! What good does room to roam do kids if they’re going to die on an uninhabitable planet in 30 years. Really, when you think about it it’s selfish* to have all that lawn.

*the greenhouse gases you’re producing with your boat are vital to your well-being an entirely different subject and it would be very petty for anyone to bring that up.
Seriously considering killing 3/4 of my lawn and planting white clover