Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ipilot equipped powerdrive heading problems - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 04-06-2021, 10:28 PM
Keeper

Default Ipilot equipped powerdrive heading problems

Its a 2007. I use autopilot alot so I wanna figure this out. It works about 90% of the time, it will be going down a heading just fine then motor will just turn like 90 degrees for no reason at all, and the boat goes sideways for about 40 feet then it will straighten back out like nothing ever happened and go down the same heading. I already contacted minnkota and they were helpfull, but havent been on the water yet to see if what I did worked. Wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem and what you did about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2021, 04:53 AM
Wallhanger

That happens when using the gps based autopilot and the wind blows you a little off course. If you use the compass based autopilot that will not happen. It will maintain the same heading although the wind will take you a little off course.

The compass based autopilot is activated by holding the autopilot button down until the circle around the autopilot icon goes away. I hardly ever use the gps based autopilot.
Old 04-07-2021, 06:23 AM
Wallhanger

A 2007 does not come with a GPS. No advanced autopilot. More than likely you have some kind of compass problem. Try whatever they told you, but a new compass might be what you end up with. Bob
Just got through checking and was possible to upgrade a 2007 to ipilot! If it was upgraded, the prior post is what you may have for a situation. Did not think PD was upgradable that far back. I did my 2009 Terrova, but was in 2011 or 12. Bob

Last edited by Ozark Bob; 04-07-2021 at 06:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2021, 07:01 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigeton View Post
That happens when using the gps based autopilot and the wind blows you a little off course. If you use the compass based autopilot that will not happen. It will maintain the same heading although the wind will take you a little off course.

The compass based autopilot is activated by holding the autopilot button down until the circle around the autopilot icon goes away. I hardly ever use the gps based autopilot.
What or where is the auto pilot button you are referring to, not sure I have seen that.
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 04-13-2021, 09:36 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbheli View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brigeton View Post

What or where is the auto pilot button you are referring to, not sure I have seen that.
I think he means the button on the remote, if so I was not aware of this!
Old 04-14-2021, 04:49 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
A 2007 does not come with a GPS. No advanced autopilot. More than likely you have some kind of compass problem. Try whatever they told you, but a new compass might be what you end up with. Bob
Just got through checking and was possible to upgrade a 2007 to ipilot! If it was upgraded, the prior post is what you may have for a situation. Did not think PD was upgradable that far back. I did my 2009 Terrova, but was in 2011 or 12. Bob
You are probably right........... If I remember correctly when I upgraded my unit it had to be a PowerDrive V2 unit in order to be able to add i-Pilot to the head of the unit. Older models you are referring to could not be upgraded to i-Pilot capacity.

Here's what I just found using Mr Google.........so my info on it needing to be a V2 unit was incorrect and right from Minn Kota at the time.........go figure

i-Pilot can be added to Terrova, Riptide Terrova (ST), PowerDrive, PowerDrive V2, Riptide PowerDrive (SP), and Ulterra model. Different kits are needed depending on whether your model is Bluetooth compatible. Unfortunately, PowerDrive models produced before 2007 are not compatible.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra