Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Coolers - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 04-25-2021, 06:10 PM
Keeper

Default Coolers

Gents,

Need to buy a new cooler and it needs to be good quality for food, beer, etc. is yeti worth the money Or others just as good for much cheaper

Many thanks,
Tool
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2021, 06:30 PM
Wallhanger

If your looking for a hard side ice cooler Coleman extreme line makes a nice cooler Fleet Farm has a 70 quart for $69.99 and a 28 quart for $34.99
I have an Rtic soft side I take in the boat for drinks and sandwiches. I spent about $150 on and found it ok but the zipper kinda hard to open
Old 04-25-2021, 06:30 PM
Wallhanger

First off is this for inside the boat or back of pickup truck. What size are you looking for. For pickup I use a giantex 80 quart roto molded cooler . It was 189 bucks. Maybe does not have as much insulation as yeti. But more insulation takes up allot of the space in the cooler. I would also price out the Grizzly coolers. The roto mold coolers are heavy. Even empty mine would be a pain to take in and out of the boat. I started getting in to the good soft side coolers in the boat. Take up less space and weight then the roto molded ones. I have not used it much yet. Been happy with the Engel brand soft side cooler so. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by Snowking; 04-25-2021 at 06:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2021, 06:34 PM
Wallhanger

If this cooler is for use outside. The lighter colored ones are better. Dark colored coolers or cooler bags get hotter in the sun.
Old 04-25-2021, 06:38 PM
Slot Fish

bought an rtic 52 for around 150 on sale last summer. It's awesome. Half the price of a yeti
Old 04-25-2021, 06:42 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtaproot View Post
Gents,

Need to buy a new cooler and it needs to be good quality for food, beer, etc. is yeti worth the money Or others just as good for much cheaper

Many thanks,
Tool
Yeti is well worth the investment, they can be a bit heavy but they do a great job keeping things cold or frozen.
Old 04-25-2021, 06:53 PM
Wallhanger

If this is for use in a pickup truck or say a motel. Where you would have access to 12 volt and then 110 when getting to your motel. I have a small Dometic refrigerator or freezer in my tractor. I also have a larger size that I have plugged into my truck. They will refrigerate or freeze stuff. Great for bringing back vacuum sealed frozen walleyes from Lake Erie. No matter what size you get. They do cost allot. They do get plenty cold to make your own ice to take on the boat. Allot of RVers use these or other brands. Here is a link to the bigger ones. I will try to find a link for the smaller ones. https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-Elect.../dp/B01MRDNXPL
This is the one I use in the back of my truck. Kind of wish I had bought the next size up. One that incuded the 12 volt or 120 volt plug in. I have to use an adapter for mine.
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...CoQ0Qx6BAgEEAE

Last edited by Snowking; 04-25-2021 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-25-2021, 07:27 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtaproot View Post
Gents,

Many thanks,
Tool
my experience....Coleman Extrme does probably a good enough job, is lighter and cheaper. Ive used both out west side by side and for about 4 days they were equal. If you open and close either of them they will both need re-iced sooner.
the yeti doesnt hold as much and is really heavy, particulary when loaded with food....its like a piece of furniture. Its heavy enough it needs 2 people to be move it when full...that sucks. but it is bear proof with locks and will last 200 years....

Last edited by kswalleyer; 04-25-2021 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-25-2021, 07:41 PM
Wallhanger

I concur with the zipper on my soft side RTIC being tough to use. But still a great cooler.

Yes a Yeti is worth it. Spendy yes, but I don't go overboard much with most of my purchases, so I can justify that. I have the soft side for the boat and a hard side Tundra 45 for the cabin. 6 years of jamming it full of free ice for drinks at the motel in Dryden and it's on it's way to paying for itself.
Plenty of good coolers out there. Don't be afraid to treat yourself to a high end cooler. Be it a Yeti, Pelican or the others.

Last edited by johnboat; 04-25-2021 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-25-2021, 07:48 PM
Keeper

Rtic all the way and half the price. Stop by the key counter at Home Depot etc and purchase a split ring for keys and attach it to the zipper fob. Keep the zipper well lubed with the supplied tube or use dielectric grease.