Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Minn Kota auto steer issues - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 05-12-2021, 09:13 AM
Keeper

Default Minn Kota auto steer issues

I have a Minn Kota Terrova that I bought in 2019. I am having issues with the auto pilot/steer not doing it's job. It often has a mind of it's own. I can be on auto pilot and it will sometimes continue to rotate left or right. And then sometimes it works just fine and I point the motor to head towards a certain direction and it stays put. Is there something I can do to re-calibrate? Get's frustrating when it doesn't operated properly. Thanks for the input.

Pat T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2021, 11:21 AM
Wallhanger

Does yours have a heading sensor? If so, that can be recalibrated. It doesn't really sound like a calibration issue to me though but I've been wrong before.
The first thing I'd do is change the remote battery. Low remote batteries can cause all kinds of problems.
Old 05-13-2021, 04:40 AM
Wallhanger

I would try switching from Advanced Auto pilot to Legacy. There have been a lot of problems with the advanced system and going slow. The GPS portion seems to want to over correct. You can do this with your remote.
Have a great day.
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2021, 06:19 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaotter View Post
I would try switching from Advanced Auto pilot to Legacy. There have been a lot of problems with the advanced system and going slow. The GPS portion seems to want to over correct. You can do this with your remote.
Have a great day.
Jim
^this. My new, last season ulterra was a bit squirrelly on AP in advanced mode. Switched to legacy and all was well
Old 05-13-2021, 07:18 AM
Keeper

Thanks for the tips. I'll report back, but it may be a few days before I am back on the water.
Old 05-13-2021, 06:39 PM
Wallhanger

To add to some good advise, You may want to try adjusting your Boat size adjustment. With advanced autopilot if you have a good breeze from the side and are going pretty slow it will over power the autopilot. Once it gets a distance from the GPS track the Advanced autopilot sets out it actually does its own thing and forced the boat to get back on the path and then resumes the speed and path you originally set. With a stiff breeze it is probably best to use Legacy as stated earlier. That just maintains a compass heading even if the wind pushes you off your original line. Depends if the line you set is important or not to where the fish are.(along a weed edge or maybe the edge of a rock or brush pile). JMO Bob
Old 05-14-2021, 10:33 AM
Keeper

I did make the change from Advanced to Legacy. Thanks for this tip as I am sure this will correct my issues.

Pat T
Old 05-17-2021, 04:03 PM
Wallhanger

There's a bit of imprecision that contributes to the Advanced Mode issues. When the GPS accuracy drifts too much, it attempts to correct the heading- often sending it slightly off course. Then when the GPS accuracy improves it makes another heading correction. That correction can some times be pretty dramatic. Then you factor in the wind or current, and it becomes a mess. It's reaction time to correct itself is too slow and it just gets further and further off of course. Sometimes, they just give up and error out.....

Some folks have had really great performing head units, and some other folks have had a fair amount of GPS inaccuracy that effects performance.

Legacy Mode is the band aid as everyone else has stated correctly.
Mercury Marine Enertia 14-5/8 x 16 Pitch SS 3 blade prop (5700 RPM's WOT/ 46.2 MPH)
OMC Tech Series Gauges
Stupid people die first then they come back again as beer cans....