Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
2021 Fishing Opener Interview w/Sarah Strommen - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 05-17-2021, 04:25 AM
Wallhanger

Default 2021 Fishing Opener Interview w/Sarah Strommen

Thought you might be interested in hearing DNR Commissioner Sarah Strommens thoughts, particularly fishing in Minnesota and limits.

https://kfgo.com/podcasts-gone-outdoors/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2021, 04:43 PM
Wallhanger

That was quite interesting. I wonder if they plan to monitor popular lakes more closely and do creel surveys on less popular lakes looking for increased use. That would allow them to act proactively if needed and resist change if not needed.
Old 05-19-2021, 03:36 AM
Wallhanger

Default Good Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzoofisher View Post
That was quite interesting. I wonder if they plan to monitor popular lakes more closely and do creel surveys on less popular lakes looking for increased use. That would allow them to act proactively if needed and resist change if not needed.
But I don't think so. Walleye regs, decided more on social implications instead of the biological science....both points are worthy of consideration though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2021, 08:03 AM
Wallhanger

I sat in on an MIDNR meeting yesterday and limits of steelhead came up. The question no one could answer is do people prefer higher catch rates and lower limits or vice versa. I think that will be a big question in the future with changes in the efficiency of anglers, both open water and ice. It’ll be interesting to watch.
Old 05-20-2021, 06:38 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
I sat in on an MIDNR meeting yesterday and limits of steelhead came up. The question no one could answer is do people prefer higher catch rates and lower limits or vice versa. I think that will be a big question in the future with changes in the efficiency of anglers, both open water and ice. It’ll be interesting to watch.
Id I had to guess, I gotta think higher catch rates are way more important...
Old 05-20-2021, 09:12 AM
Wallhanger

There’s a very vocal share of fishermen that disagree. If they can catch three then they want to keep three. The idea of catching eight and keeping one has no appeal for them. I don’t get it but there it is.
Old 05-22-2021, 06:42 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
There’s a very vocal share of fishermen that disagree. If they can catch three then they want to keep three. The idea of catching eight and keeping one has no appeal for them. I don’t get it but there it is.
Was watching a Tom Boley video he shot C/Ring on Mille lacs. he lighly mentioned maybe we were heading towards some kind of new rules.

In my lifetime Ive seen so many changes....no deer to deer everywhere, pheasants disappear in traditional strongholds like IA, quail disapper all over the country, duck numbers real low in 1987 to so high now, geese literally everywhere etc. Never really seen any changes in fishing....It wouldnt surprse me if we see some changes in fishing. While some people may be upset if we went to a drastically lowered limits, all people woud be upset if we had lakes with no fish in them.

Time will tell.....
Old 06-09-2021, 08:06 AM
Minnow

Very interesting - thanks for sharing. Have you noticed big differences in fishing pressure during the last year or so?
Old 06-09-2021, 10:53 AM
Wallhanger

Lots more people fishing in Michigan. I think a lot of it was “work from home” meant “work from the cabin” but there were quite a few novice anglers with kids in tow.