Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Headlights? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 05-17-2021, 06:42 PM
welll

Totally illegal to run docking lights while running as you blind anyone coming your way. If you have them on coming in my direction plan on having my spotlight in your eyes until you turn them off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2021, 06:42 AM
Minnow

REW correctly stated the law above. High mounted stern light on while at anchor and then while underway add the bow navigation lights. The biggest offenders on our lake seems to be the plethora of new pontoon owners who seem to think that their docking lights are to be used in same fashion as auto headlights. They turn on their side LED pimp lights, their docking lights and just to put the frosting on the cake they crank up their (usually awful) music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2021, 12:12 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinmanPoozie View Post
An uncle of mine on the Hudson River said the saw something "bobbing" on the surface coming downstream...when it went by it was a 4' or 5' diameter log.
Happy fishing!!
A 5 foot diameter log, just bobbing down the river? ...... HOLY SMOKES ..... Where'd that come from?
Old 05-20-2021, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin Bender View Post
A 5 foot diameter log, just bobbing down the river? ...... HOLY SMOKES ..... Where'd that come from?
Not that unusual on the Mississippi, nor on any stream during high water.

Bill
Old 05-20-2021, 12:28 PM
Keeper

I hit a TREE in Lake Erie while up on plane one year. Took the fins on my prop down to about 1". Scared the crap out of us. We immediately open the motor box to see if we were taking on water. We could let the motor idle and get just enough thrust for forward momentum to get back to the dock.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2021, 12:39 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Krejca View Post

Bill
Not sure exactly where trees with a FIVE FOOT DIAMETER grow on the shores of the Mississippi, or any other river for that matter. That would be just a tic under the world's largest ever recorded White Pine.
Old 05-20-2021, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Krejca View Post

Bill
A log 5 foot in diameter, is huge. Most of the trees that diameter, have long since been cut down and milled into lumber.

A log 5 foot long, would be much more common.
Old 05-21-2021, 04:45 AM
Charter Member

After lots of rain and high water, logs float off of the shore and populate the top foot of water on larger lakes. We see this all the time on Ontario lakes and rivers everywhere. Not uncommon to "thump" a barely submerged log when traveling. When water levels are high I slow down and really watch for any change in the surface appearance. The logs I can see don't worry me, it's those water logged ones just at or barely under the surface that are gonna get you.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 05-23-2021, 11:33 PM
Minnow

I have an led pod mounted on the front of my boat, dont use it much for travel, but comes in handy when running limblines at night