Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Alumacraft Live Well Plug - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 05-17-2021, 09:58 AM
Minnow

Default Alumacraft Live Well Plug

My live well leaks a bit of water and it is that little plug in the bottom of the live well. The drain plug. I replaced the black, rubber o-ring and it still seeps by. I see you can buy a plug that goes in the drain plug from the back of the boat. They seem to make one that screws in. Does anybody know if they make a better plug for the inside of the live well that makes a more secure connection?

Can anybody that has done this provide the link to the one you purchased? I'm not sure of the size of the opening. The drain plug on the outside of the boat seems to be threaded.

Thanks!

I seem to think that this one would work for what I'm trying to do:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 10.59.08 AM.png
Views:	17
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	326476  

Last edited by mnuer123; 05-17-2021 at 10:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2021, 10:14 AM
Wallhanger

Not sure what model or year boat you have, but if a drain plug is required I'm assuming this is your aft live well. Those are pretty small and shallow, are you sure the water isn't going out your overflow as it sloshes around? That'd be my guess.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:33 AM
Minnow

Default Boat

It is a Alumacraft Lunker. It only has a live well in the back. It is the drain plug not the overflow. The overflow works fine. I filled it about half way last night and I could not get the drain plug tight enough to stop the water from seeping by. I replaced the o-ring as well. No luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2021, 12:20 PM
Keeper

I use these on my 2010 Alumacraft Navigator livewells. I had the same problem with the one you reference.

https://www.amazon.com/Invincible-Ma.../dp/B08PCCS16M
Old 05-17-2021, 12:23 PM
Minnow

Default Plug

Do you put it on the outside of the hull or in the actual live well? Thanks for the response.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

You can buy different sizes of "thermos - like" adjustable plugs with rubber od which screw into the plug, you then flip over the lever. Works very well.

Bill
Old 05-17-2021, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

MnUer,
I am curious as to why you really care if the live well leaks a bit.

I assume that you have a livewell pump with a timer on it.

So, if you have fish in the livewell that you want to keep alive you would normally be continuously

add water using the timed pump so that the fish will have sufficient O2 from the added water coming into the well. I would also assume that the pump will run long enough each time to have the livewell be full and flowing out the overflow for each time that the pump runs??

Take care
Old 05-17-2021, 05:06 PM
Wallhanger

Is the issue water leaking out of the well or into it? The drain on the back of my Navigator is not threaded and looks just like my bilge drain. I've never tried to put a plug in it. The intake for the pump is threaded or at least the screen attachment is.

I can see water leaking in being a real hassle if you have to completely dry the well after every use. If it's leaking out so fast that I couldn't keep it full, well that would be bad, too. Pretty sure the drain in my live well is 1/2" and the one on the transom is 3/4". If it is threaded I'll find out what kind of thread it is and see if I can add a check valve as a safety against the hose breaking.

Edit: paid more attention reading your first post and you said drain in the live well. That looks like a garden hose thread. If it is you should be able to buy a male hose by female pipe thread fitting and screw it in nice and tight with an o ring on it. Add a piece of pvc with a male adapter to match your pipe thread and you'll have a removable drain that extends above the water so your hands don't get wet when you're done for the day. That's awful nice early and late in the year.

Last edited by kzoofisher; 05-17-2021 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-17-2021, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Default Better Visual

Here are two pictures to help. I have tried about 10 o-rings and could not get it to stop dripping. My temp solution is the cork. I like your idea kzoofisher. My Lund had that set up back in the day. Iím not super good at making stuff but I will give that a look. Not sure if the spot with the cork is threaded. I will check that when I pull it outside and drain the water.

The reason for the fix is I seldom keep anything. I just like to mess around and fish. I like to use the live well for bait. Crappie minnows. Some spottails. If I toss 4-5 crappie in there with the minnows it would be no big deal. I also have a small floating minnow buck I could place in there if I needed it to hold fish.

I have thought about just saying screw that idea and who cares if it leaks a bit. Just get one of the bait coolers with the aerator on top and use it. Easier to move in and out. Having two wells spoils you.

Thanks for the replies. It is always great when you can toss out a question and get some help. Truly the best part of the internet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6381C39C-8057-457E-939C-712442E4A8AA.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	326488   Click image for larger version

Name:	559AED1B-65DB-4632-8229-85CAC3959C7C.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	326490  
Old 05-18-2021, 09:30 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnuer123 View Post
It is a Alumacraft Lunker. It only has a live well in the back. It is the drain plug not the overflow. The overflow works fine. I filled it about half way last night and I could not get the drain plug tight enough to stop the water from seeping by. I replaced the o-ring as well. No luck.
In the livewell.