Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Weed and Feed - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 05-15-2021, 12:50 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NailsWI View Post
Good stuff Bobby. My next door neighbor hasn't treated his lawn since he moved in, probably 7 yrs. Dandelions, Clover, Creeping Charlie, Thistle, you name it. It's growing rampant in his yard and spreading into mine. I broadcast as far as I can get it without stepping onto his property, then when that part of his lawn grows nice and thick without the weeds he refuses to mow it.

He also has a Red Maple that he has never pruned that over hangs my yard and sidewalk that pokes me in the face when I mow and shovel snow. I have asked him to take care of the tree which he refuses to do. I contacted the village, they talked to him and he still did nothing. I got the OK from public works to trim what overhangs my lot line.
What you got against creeping charlie? The purple flowers sure look better than an unending sea of green for yards and yards and yards and...
Clover has lovely white flowers, dandelions make for good home-made wine (and you get to blow the fluffy floaters into the air when they finally turn) and bucolic flowing patterns of sunny yellow highlights among the white, purple, and purple/white violet flowers carpeting the front lawn.
Weed killer would ruin all that, not to mention all the insects & spiders that are so beneficial, plus it leeches into the lake nearby & upsets that ecology.

GACK! OUR LAKES HAVE ENOUGH PLANKTON BLOOM PROBLEMS FROM FARMERS DRENCHING THEIR FIELDS WITH FERTILIZER ALREADY! - to the point of deadly toxic blue-green algae blooms every year killing somebody or other's dog. Give them a break already.

Granted the thistle can be a bit much on bare feet but even they eventually crown out with a gorgeous purple flower.
Just never understood this need for folks to live on a golf course that isn't big enough to play golf on & invest tons of money and labor trying to make their yard look like one.

Our lawn has NEVER been fertilized or had weed-killer applied in 30 years (except for the time the lawn company got the wrong address and killed 20 YEARS worth of violet transplanting - and paid $800 for their mistake).
Does it lQQk like it needs it?
Do you think the bevy of walkers passing by every day that point and say "Oooh" "Ahhhh"are scandalized by our lack of "weed-n-feed use?
(Anonymouse admits to some creative mowing, on occasion.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	326446  
Attached Images

Last edited by Anonymouse; 05-15-2021 at 01:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2021, 07:10 AM
Wallhanger

So your gas car, truck, lawnmower, snow blower, boat engine and even just your daily existence has ZERO environmental impact?????
Old 05-16-2021, 07:32 AM
weed slayer

Default weed slayer

Quote:
So your gas car, truck, lawnmower, snow blower, boat engine and even just your daily existence has ZERO environmental impact?????
Where did he even imply that in his post? He was talking about his yard only I believe? Unless I misread it......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2021, 08:10 AM
Wallhanger

I don't know what you read, but the context of his post was...Lawn Treatments are bad for the environment.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:10 AM
Wallhanger

To each his own I like a nice weed free lawn. Some neighbors not so much. Maybe they don’t care or maybe can’t afford to kill the weeds. If they did I might be looking at dirt
The story going around now are dandelions are good for you the bees. Never heard that one before
Old 05-16-2021, 09:42 AM
Keeper

used to do my own weed and feed. A few years ago my lawn got a bad case of weeds (not just dandelions but some I've never seen before), spent hours manually pulling them out only to have them come back, tried Scotts, didn't even slow them down. The weeds came from the guy behind me. In fact "his weeds" worked their way over to all the adjacent backyards.
Called the "weed Man" and in 2 visits all the weeds were gone and never came back. Now Weed Man visits about 4-5 times in the season and don't have to worry about weeds, fertilizing, or grubs. I still cut my own grass and the other day was cutting the backyard and looked at the guy's yard behind me, nothing but dandelions, I have none, what a @*^*$%# !
Old 05-17-2021, 03:01 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
I don't know what you read, but the context of his post was...Lawn Treatments are bad for the environment.
Not only the environment but PEOPLE.
Next door neighbor does his lawn professionally and of course there is always blow-by onto ours. The Mrs. now has to cover up from head to toe because when she mowed OUR lawn after the neighbor had his sprayed with noxious chemicals, her skin broke out in a severe rash.
Didn't you ever wonder WHY they put those little signs in your yard after they spray those weed killers on it?
The stuff causes cancer f/f/s. (Roundup class-action.)

Anonymouse isn't one of those nutty enviro-freaks, though we do what we can to try and cut down on the runoffs to our beautiful lakes here that are struggling with phosphate, salt, and other issues resultant from being an urban chain of lakes in farm country.
If nothing else, consider what those lawn poisons are doing to people in your environment - especially kids, who are going to have to live the next 60-70 YEARS with the results of your choice to chemically contaminate your private little mini golf course.
Dunnoe about other folks lawns but the dandelion thingy seems to be self limiting.
We have about the same number from year to year and have never had to see a lawn covered exclusively in yellow/fuzzy weeds.
Some years there are a few more and some years hardly any at all.

Perhaps it is because we don't mow the lawn like scalping an Indian or something.
1st off in the spring, we like to let the grass actually go to self-seed before 1st mow
We leave it long-ish at the cut and allow it to grow taller between mows than most of the neighbors.
This results in a dense full lawn that stays much greener than our neighbors who cut short and cut more often, & during the dog days of summer, when lawns look like brown burnt DEAD acreage, ours is still green and soft WITHOUT watering even.
The longer blades trap moisture from the air overnight as condensate and self-water the soil - is the scientific reasoning behind it.
That the longer blade length cuts down on weeds seeding themselves into the lawn is probably just a side benefit.

Last edited by Anonymouse; 05-17-2021 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:31 PM
Wallhanger

Yeah... I'm fairly certain the neighbors lawn service isn't spaying round-up, so your wife can take a chill-pill. And that hardware store weed-feed isn't going to have any phosphate component, so it's not going to contribute diddly-squat to any algae bloom.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:33 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
Not only the environment but PEOPLE.
Next door neighbor does his lawn professionally and of course there is always blow-by onto ours. The Mrs. now has to cover up from head to toe because when she mowed OUR lawn after the neighbor had his sprayed with noxious chemicals, her skin broke out in a severe rash.
Didn't you ever wonder WHY they put those little signs in your yard after they spray those weed killers on it?
The stuff causes cancer f/f/s. (Roundup class-action.)

Anonymouse isn't one of those nutty enviro-freaks, though we do what we can to try and cut down on the runoffs to our beautiful lakes here that are struggling with phosphate, salt, and other issues resultant from being an urban chain of lakes in farm country.
If nothing else, consider what those lawn poisons are doing to people in your environment - especially kids, who are going to have to live the next 60-70 YEARS with the results of your choice to chemically contaminate your private little mini golf course.
Dunnoe about other folks lawns but the dandelion thingy seems to be self limiting.
We have about the same number from year to year and have never had to see a lawn covered exclusively in yellow/fuzzy weeds.
Some years there are a few more and some years hardly any at all.

Perhaps it is because we don't mow the lawn like scalping an Indian or something.
1st off in the spring, we like to let the grass actually go to self-seed before 1st mow
We leave it long-ish at the cut and allow it to grow taller between mows than most of the neighbors.
This results in a dense full lawn that stays much greener than our neighbors who cut short and cut more often, & during the dog days of summer, when lawns look like brown burnt DEAD acreage, ours is still green and soft WITHOUT watering even.
The longer blades trap moisture from the air overnight as condensate and self-water the soil - is the scientific reasoning behind it.
That the longer blade length cuts down on weeds seeding themselves into the lawn is probably just a side benefit.
Here in Ontario, we have to buy environment friendly product (which does not work) some used to go to Quebec or Buffalo to get the good stuff. Do you know what grubs can do to a lawn ? If he does not care about dandelions, do you think he will do anything about grubs ?
Old 05-18-2021, 12:18 PM
Wallhanger

When I put it down for customers (I have an applicator's license) I put down less than the recommended amount. When I got my license, I was taught that one really doesn't need a ton of product to jumpstart things (home owners). It also depends a little bit on where you live, and the time of the year.

I have customers who use Trugreen, who I cut 2x/week. Their lawn is thick, green and lush. Any less than 2x/week and it's a mess with clumps and tire tracks from double and triple cutting.

Applying Scotts Weed n Feed Fertilizer, in modest amounts, is fairly harmless.