Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Headlights? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 05-13-2021, 10:47 AM
Keeper

Default Headlights?

Out of curiosity when dark or when it's low light, is anyone using a headlight on your boats?

2 stories:
1. An uncle of mine on the Hudson River said the saw something "bobbing" on the surface coming downstream...when it went by it was a 4' or 5' diameter log. The bobbing was only the tippy top of it

2. Many years ago, some jerkwad on a 12' or 13' Jon boat was bullhead fishing at 10 PM, no light, no lantern, no nav light...just him in the middle of a lake. I was actually looking for my cabin and doing about 5-10 mph tops... I caught a slight change of some kind & went around it....that boat would've been hit broad side by me without a light

I don't night fish very often but keep a jury rigged LED headlight handy when I do so I can avoid "things" like this

What about you guys? What do you do when on a lake/river & it's dark

Happy fishing!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	headlight.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	326414  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2021, 12:40 PM
Keeper

I had docking lights on my last boat. Never really used them much. But during a USCG inspection, they did mention that while they can be used for docking, i was not allowed to use them while away from the dock and underway.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2021, 12:50 PM
Wallhanger

One night we turned an installed boat headlight on while running downriver on the Delaware river, it looked like it was snowing hard because there must have been billions of bugs hatching, we turned the darn thing off because we could actually see better without it on.
We use headlamps, 6V lanterns, and spotlights when night fishing, those three types of lights will pretty well cover anything we may encounter at night.

Last edited by grizzley; 05-13-2021 at 01:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2021, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

But during a USCG inspection, they did mention that while they can be used for docking, i was not allowed to use them while away from the dock and underway.

This ^^^^^^ needs repeating.
Old 05-13-2021, 03:42 PM
Keeper

I slow down at nite and use an led spotlight when in doubt about what, if anything, is in front. On leech I’ll use particular care around stony point, pine point and goose isl at nite.
Old 05-13-2021, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Here in MN, the law is as follows.

When at anchor, a high mounted white stern light must be illuminated at all times.

This is to prevent being invisible on the body of water when other boats are on the water and may collide with a dark boat.

When underway, the white stern light must still be on. In addition a green bow light on one side and a red bow light on the other side must be on. This is so that when a person glances up and sees a pair of red and green lights coming toward the boat, the person knows what side of the boat that they are seeing.

A bright light - while underway is not illegal but is generally discouraged.

Also, when on the big river like the Mississippi, the commercial barges have the same rules. In addition, all of the barges have high intensity spot lights.

When, navigating a channel on the river, as well as in most of the bigger lakes in MN and in Canada, there is a reflective marker down lake or down river from a channel marker to allow the boat operator to scan the distance and hit the reflective sign and to then, aim for that reflective sign, knowing that that course will bring the operator of the boat to the next channel marker.

So, normally a boat will use the long range spot light to find the marker and then turn off the light after setting course, and just turn it on periodically to double check the course and position with respect to the boats position with respect to arriving at the next marker.

Be safe
Old 05-14-2021, 05:58 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzley View Post
One night we turned an installed boat headlight on while running downriver on the Delaware river, it looked like it was snowing hard because there must have been billions of bugs hatching, we turned the darn thing off because we could actually see better without it on.
We use headlamps, 6V lanterns, and spotlights when night fishing, those three types of lights will pretty well cover anything we may encounter at night.
I had the same experience.

YouTube...Jim Lyon Fishing
Old 05-14-2021, 06:03 AM
Wallhanger

Unless i am in my shallow spots casting i have every light i can on my boat. Had a very close call with a sailboat one night that was running on auto pilot with no lookout,came between my boat and planerboard. I was lite up like a Christmas tree and he almost got me, couldn't hear anythjng over the kicker....scared the crap out of me

YouTube...Jim Lyon Fishing
Old 05-14-2021, 06:21 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
Unless i am in my shallow spots casting i have every light i can on my boat. Had a very close call with a sailboat one night that was running on auto pilot with no lookout,came between my boat and planerboard. I was lite up like a Christmas tree and he almost got me, couldn't hear anythjng over the kicker....scared the crap out of me
Doesn't have to be at night. Quite a few years ago off Conneaut OH on Lake Erie, a sailboat hit a fisherman who was anchored perch fishing in broad daylight. You cant fix stupid!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2021, 08:41 AM
Slot Fish

Boats don't have headlights for driving at night. They only have docking lights for when you are coming in at night to dock.

You are not allowed to run docking lights while running on the water. You should be able to see further and better at night with just your naked eye. Turn you depth finder brightness all the way down so it doesn't affect your eyes.

While anchored you should always have your anchor light on or some sort of white light so other boaters can see you.
Yamaha 9.9 HP
Lowrance Ti2's