Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Musky Reels - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Muskie Central > General Discussion

Old 09-23-2020, 03:27 AM
Minnow

Default Musky Reels

Last time I did any serious muskie fishing I came to the conclusion that it was time for a couple of new reels. Having had nearly 20 years of positive experiences with the Shimano Calcutta series, I decided to continue in this vein. I decided to go with the beefier TE model. When I finally decided to pull the trigger on this purchase I discovered that this model had been discontinued. Furthermore, I heard that Shimano has been cutting corners and their products have begun to lose their integirty. Armed with this new information I have been scratching my head as what to do about this dilemma. What, if any, reels are comparable to the Shimano Calcutta TE for throwing big musky baits all day long? Any comments that would corroborate or refute the rumors I've heard about Shimano would also be appreciated.

Last edited by Hawker; 10-03-2020 at 08:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2020, 04:04 AM
Keeper

Most hardcore musky guys are using the Shimano Tranx 400’s in the high gear. Tranx 500’s are another top reel if you can handle the larger size.
Abu Garcia beasts, Diawa Lexa 400’s, and 13 fishing round out the top musky reels.

I’m on a ton of musky sites and haven’t heard of very many issues with the Tranx’s....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2020, 09:30 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonMichel View Post
Last time I did any serious muskie fishing I came to the conclusion that it was time for a couple of new musky reels. Having had nearly 20 years of positive experiences with the Shimano Calcutta series, I decided to continue in this vein. I decided to go with the beefier TE model. When I finally decided to pull the trigger on this purchase I discovered that this model had been discontinued. Furthermore, I heard that Shimano has been cutting corners and their products have begun to lose their integirty. Armed with this new information I have been scratching my head as what to do about this dilemma. What, if any, reels are comparable to the Shimano Calcutta TE for throwing big musky baits all day long? Any comments that would corroborate or refute the rumors I've heard about Shimano would also be appreciated.

I have the Tranx 400 they are great. Have a high gear and a standard.
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2020, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

I still use my 2 TE's everytime I am out. I would perhaps try to find one somebody is selling. No issues finding parts yet. I also have a Tranx 400, which occasionally makes a clunky noise on the cast I have not figure out. Works very well, just occasionally makes a funny noise right at the start of the cast. Good luck

Paulski
Old 09-29-2020, 12:55 PM
Wallhanger

I am not sure where you are getting your facts on Shimano... I would strongly disagree with them...If you like a TE get a Calcutta Conquest...newer better round reel. If you want low profile get a 400 Tranx... If you want the best reel out there get a 500 Tranx... I own multiples all of the above and use and abuse them heavily each year and have nothing bad to say about any of them outside of one of the 400 Tranx I have seems to occasionally want to stack line unevenly.... One bomb cast and its easily fixed...
Old 09-29-2020, 03:27 PM
Wallhanger

I've used a Revo Toro Beast from Abu Garcia for a few years and think it's well made.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:15 PM
Wallhanger

I have been using shimano reels for years. They have been great. I still have a TE that works great but it's getting sent in for service this winter. The TRANX 400 and 500 series are fantastic. I also have a Lexa 400hd and a lexa 300 that have been flawless for me. I have heard the Lexa reels can have issues with the gears but I haven't experienced that on mine.
For trolling the the Tekota's can't be beat but I actually use the Okuma coldwater reels. The reason I mention the okuma coldwater reels and that they are great is that Okuma also makes the Komodo which is a musky reel. I have heard great things about that reel as well but haven't tried it.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:07 AM
Keeper

I have 4 tranx 400s. Never a problem. One Daiwa Lexa 400 and its been at Daiwa more than at home. Not built strong enough. Funny thing is I have a lexa 300 with no problems??? I also have a revo toro beast with no problems. The tranx is just the best all around reel that I've used.
Old 11-03-2020, 09:45 AM
Keeper

Another Tranx 400 vote. Been very happy with mine/
Old 11-04-2020, 08:26 PM
Keeper

used a lexa and a revo. Was told how great a Tranx was and bought one without ever using one. They are for reel!!!!! This is so worth the $300 compared to saving $50 bucks. I just bought another....now I have a 300 and a 400. Amazing reels.

Tags
fishing