Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
How far would you go to buy a boat? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 02-28-2020, 09:26 AM
Keeper

Default How far would you go to buy a boat?

very similar situation as TylerSJ, in that I live in the south (South Carolina), and want a walleye type boat, either a used ranger fisherman, or used lund. I search all the time and most of the boats are found in Wisconsin (That's 16 hours from here)

so, would you drive that far for a used boat? Also, any other suggestions of where to find these?

Type I fishing I will do is slow trolling (.05-1.2 mph) for crappie using a terrova or ulterra

Thanks for any response or info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2020, 09:41 AM
Keeper

OH, IN, PA, NY, IL are states with decent populations of deep v boats that are closer to you. That said I drove 14 hours for my boat. The right layout for the right price is worth it to me.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

The distance to drive is simply the difference between your current position and the position of the potential sale. It may be 1 mile, or it may be 8,000 miles. The ball is in your court and the fuel is in the tank for you to make the decision.

As with anything in life. If there is something in life that you really want to have, then by gum, you just go out and get it!! It matters not what anyone else would do in their changing decisions. It is only your life changing decisions that matter to you and to those who are close to you.

In today's world, distance is really not important. One can drive coast to coast in less than a week. Less than that with multiple drivers and a faster vehicle. So, go where you wish to get what you want and pay for what it is worth. Bring it home and enjoy the heck out of it. Your time, your resources, your decisions.

But above all - do it safely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2020, 10:02 AM
Keeper

that's a great reply and I'm getting seriously inspired
Old 02-28-2020, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

You might look at your question a different way. If you want to go and make a purchase of a multi thousand dollar rig, but don't feel that you can take a few days to make a trip of unknown length to make the purchase, do you really have the time and resources in your life to enjoy the purchase once you have brought it home?

Remember, life can be awfully intrusive. Be sure t make appropriate decisions that make sense for you, your loved ones, life style and resources.

Take care
Old 02-28-2020, 10:32 AM
Keeper

Keep an eye out on Vic's website for used multi-species boats. Or give them a call and tell them what your looking for. They are highly respected in our neck of the woods. Being in OH, that will save you a few hours at least.

https://vicsboats.com/pre-owned-boat-inventory/

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2020, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

DMP,
I can't imagine that you'd need to go all the way to WI, I'd look at the southern Lake Erie dealers, from Detroit to Cleveland to Buffalo. Should be quite the selection of big water-deep V's to look at.

https://vicsboats.com/pre-owned-boat-inventory/

HRG
Old 02-28-2020, 10:35 AM
Keeper

good point, but it's not so much the time to do it, but am concerned (maybe unfounded) with towing a boat for that many miles. Am no mechanic when it comes to axles and wheel bearings, so not sure what to look for to make sure the rig will make it.

Friend of mine towed his brand new pontoon to Florida and one of the wheels passed him on the interstate. Had to leave his rig in Florida for a couple weeks while they put on a new axle, then ride back and get it.

So 12, 14, 16 hours running on the interstate continuously. How often would you check the tires/axle and what exactly would you check?
Old 02-28-2020, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Two years ago I drove from Iowa to Connecticut for a used boat. This particular boat is not commercially made and is not readily available.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:47 AM
Wallhanger

When traveling long distances every time I stop I will check the the trailer wheels for heat if they are warm something is going wrong, if they are hot better not go any farther until the problem is fixed.