Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ranger 620 vs nitro zv21 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 09-01-2020, 12:45 PM
Minnow

Default Ranger 620 vs nitro zv21

Hey guys I am in the market for a brand new boat (wife gave me the green light) I am torn between the ranger 620 and the nitro zv21.

I will be casting and trolling for musky primarily but an also looking to fish for walleye salmon and lake trout out of the boat.

Aside from added options (graphs and trolling motors etc) what are the pros and cons you guys have seen with these boats, how is customer service for both boats? Ride, handling, amount of water needed to float the boat?Ease of self launching and loading?

I live in the bay of Quinte area in Ontario Canada and will be fishing in smaller lakes as well as the bay and Lake Ontario.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2020, 02:51 PM
Minnow

Congrats on the green light!!
Nitro owner here and love the boat. Rides dry and handles big water pretty well. Haven't had to deal with service thankfully but that is a definite consideration. Being a relatively heavy glass boat I have had some shallow water issues but I came from a lund that drafted less than a foot so that is to be expected. Don't think you can go wrong either way. Good luck!
Old 09-01-2020, 06:12 PM
Minnow

Thank you for your reply!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2020, 07:32 PM
Wallhanger

Wow Bryon,

I am in the same dilemma. My wife gave me the same green light too and will be ordering in November. Besides the two mentioned, I am also looking at the ZV20 Pro. Those that have the Rangers Cups, the new Rangers have zip wake and trim tabs. Are they really needed with the 620's and 621's? I have never heard a complaint about Ranger Cup FS boats needing the trim tabs. I would appreciate it if someone would chime in. Joe
Old 09-02-2020, 06:35 AM
Keeper

I have a 2019 621 and I really don’t know why you would need trim tabs. I have no complaints.
Old 09-02-2020, 06:53 AM
Slot Fish

I have a 2020 620, looked hard at nitro as well as 2019 620’s.

My boat does not have the zipwakes and Im sure they are great and maybe i dont know what i am missing but i have not ever wished that i had them when i was on the water.

The side storage compartments have been changed for the fs pro, allowing vertical storage of 3700 planos, making seeing and accessing tackle much easier. This was a big deal for me.

If the cup boat was setup exactly the way i wanted it, i would have considered it.

I am very happy with the 620 fs pro, there are enough little features that i really like that seem to add up.
Old 09-02-2020, 07:06 AM
Keeper

I have a 621 Pro. The zipwakes are well worth it. It is heavier than a normal 621 and the trim tabs really make it get up on plane in a shorter distance. Plus they're automatic, just turn on and go.
Ulterra Linked with
Helix 12 and 10 Mega
Old 09-02-2020, 08:54 AM
Wallhanger

I don't have either boat that your looking at but I do have Zip Wake interceptors on my boat which I ran without for the first season and added them for the 2nd season this year. I've read and seen lots of comments about boats not "needing" trim tabs and will say that no multi-species boat "needs" trim tabs, however they are the ultimate tool for getting the most out of any boat. When I was contemplating the addition of the Zip Wake system and trying to decide on adding them or not, a wise individual told me "trim tabs will make a ****ty boat decent and a great boat excellent". I've repeated this quote several times because it is absolutely the best way to describe the difference. After having them now on my own boat for a full season, I will never run another boat without some form of trim tabs. I will say I've really enjoyed the Zip Wakes however I find myself running them in manual mode more than auto which is some of the function you pay for with the zip wake system. The ability to plane quicker, at slower speeds; control the bow in rough water, compensate for uneven loads, and the ability to pick up the waveward side of the boat when quartering or running the trough just adds and another entire level of rough water performance. As Brett King told me, it's the one tool he will recommend without ever worrying that someone will be disappointed. If go with the ranger, get the ride system with the zip wakes. If you end up with the nitro, there are several trim tab options but definitely add them to the list of must haves if you fish any big water.

Last edited by SLE; 09-02-2020 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-02-2020, 11:56 AM
Wallhanger

I live near where you are target fishing, the deciding factor would be the dealer, Bay Marine is no longer a Ranger dealer and i don't know of a Nitro dealer (maybe Pride marine?) I have a 620 and have never needed the boat require service that i could not do. I will not have a boat with out a Drotto system for loading and unloading i launch my boat probably over 100 times a year by myself and no issues, you will figure it out.Good luck either way

YouTube...Jim Lyon Fishing

Last edited by Yellow Fever; 09-02-2020 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-02-2020, 02:47 PM
welll

I fish muskie a ton and while casting the taller stand height of the Nitro makes the figure 8 way tougher. Both good boats, Ranger is better quality when you really get inside for rigging and inside the compartments etc.

Long rods will overhang while stored on the front deck while running but the space on the 620 is quite a bit longer and it is easy to strap them down with minimal overhang. Deck length is also a factor if you are two up front casting.

Trim tabs will make any boat perform better...especially in rough conditions where you can adjust bow running height easily.