Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Recommend a charger for winter battery storage - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 10-24-2020, 07:49 AM
Wallhanger

Default Recommend a charger for winter battery storage

Can anyone recommend some type of a battery maintainer for my starting battery during winter storage?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2020, 07:55 AM
Wallhanger

Buy a 7 day 120v timer outlet set to switch on for a few hours one day a week and use a conventional battery charger. Avoid a maintainer operating 24/7 because there it is unnecessary and poses some risks.
Old 10-24-2020, 05:50 PM
Wallhanger

If you don't disconnect wires to the battery and have anything that puts a drain on the battery you may want a battery tender hooked to it. A small amp tender is not a risk. If you have a good battery fully charged and negative wires disconnected you probably don't need anything on it.
https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende.../dp/B000CITK8S

Last edited by Ozark Bob; 10-24-2020 at 05:53 PM. Reason: link added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2020, 07:34 PM
Wallhanger

Ok , thanks , I pulled the battery and will keep in the basement for the winter .
Old 10-24-2020, 09:18 PM
Slot Fish

I don’t think you should buy a battery charger. By your post title your looking for something for long term (winter) storage so, by definition, your looking for a battery maintainer. I have had excellent luck with the Battery Tender Plus by Detran. I have several and use them on boats and cars in long-term storage with excellent results.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...9-b698e0b800f6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2020, 09:23 PM
Wallhanger

There's no need to worry about good batteries stored over the winter. You don't need to take them out of the boat and lug them down to the basement. Make sure the water level is full and they're fully charged. Then disconnect ALL the leads. Tie-wrap the positives together and the negatives together. That way, next spring, you'll be sure to clean all the terminals. Attached are voltage readings from my batteries before and after storage and charts of voltage levels and electrolyte freeze points.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Voltage Chart.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	322076   Click image for larger version

Name:	voltages.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	322078   Click image for larger version

Name:	electrolyte freeze point.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	322080  
Yamaha 50 tiller
Minn Kota Terrova 12V
Humminbird 898, Helix 9
Old 10-25-2020, 06:41 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8go4s View Post
There's no need to worry about good batteries stored over the winter. You don't need to take them out of the boat and lug them down to the basement. Make sure the water level is full and they're fully charged. Then disconnect ALL the leads. Tie-wrap the positives together and the negatives together. That way, next spring, you'll be sure to clean all the terminals. Attached are voltage readings from my batteries before and after storage and charts of voltage levels and electrolyte freeze points.

Why you would need to take off both "+" and "-" ? Makes no sense! Just removing one or the other interrupts and circuit. Typically the professional advise out there is to remove "-".
Old 10-25-2020, 08:12 AM
Wallhanger

Ditto to the above. Move it from your basement to your garage (or leave it in the boat, if stored outside). Colder is better. While unconnected, fully charged, batteries do self discharge, it is a very slow process. Faster if warmer. Here in Minn., from Oct to almost May, I never see mine get below 90% when coming out of their winter sleep. Maybe if I was in south Texas over the summer, and left them out in the heat, I might think about some kind of trickle or maintainer, but even then, you'll get many months before they get to 50% charge. I had one I left for a year, even during the Minn. summer, and even then, it was still at 80%.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:59 AM
Wallhanger

FYI, if you have wet cell batteries , don't charge them in the basement. If the charger malfunctions and over charges the batteries your Carbon Monoxide will go off, (fools the meter) then the fire department will come to your house in the middle of the night and your better half will give you dirty looks for a week and she won't forget for a long time, don't ask me me how i know !
Old 10-25-2020, 11:12 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cialone View Post
FYI, if you have wet cell batteries , don't charge them in the basement. If the charger malfunctions and over charges the batteries your Carbon Monoxide will go off, (fools the meter) then the fire department will come to your house in the middle of the night and your better half will give you dirty looks for a week and she won't forget for a long time, don't ask me me how i know !
Actually, all but a few types of Lead Acid batteries off gas while being charged, that gas can be ignited by a spark and cause an explosion. These are rather large explosions and can kill, cause serious harm and destroy a house.

That being said, having a CO detector go off, fire dept arrive and have your wife give you dirty looks for a week would be a blessing. Possibly the CO detector went off because of the build up of these gases, only thing missing was a spark.

There is a reason the instructions for mounting onboard chargers say not to mount them above the batteries...........