Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Minnkota - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 05-13-2020, 07:08 PM
Wallhanger

Default Minnkota

Last year, I upgraded my trolling motor to a Terrova ipilot 80. Only used it a couple times since then.

Yesterday, I took some customers of mine out fishing. One of them got a snag, so I put the motor on anchor, and went to the back to help. I turn around, and somehow the motor spun and severed the cable that goes to the transducer.

I called the local service center today, and was told to bring it in. He thinks that this is something that likely will be covered under warranty, and also suggested that he will need to put on a new head.

Does that sound correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2020, 08:54 PM
Wallhanger

The advice you have been given sounds generous, but my experience with Minnkota technicians has been positive and warranty issues have been resolved in a professional, customer first manner. It sounds like an issue in a sensor or in the motherboard (or both) which would involve replacement. The technicians I am familiar with have always been upfront regarding repairs needed and any costa associated with the repairs. After all, they are the front line of service reputation.
Old 05-15-2020, 03:44 PM
Wallhanger

That's the one problem with the anchor mode if its calm out, the motor likes to strangle its self. It's a PIA. I wish they made it so if it reaches some kind of resistance with the cable then it would correct itself. I'm sure that is coming down the road until then need to pay attention.

Fisherman 1792
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2020, 07:27 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman1792 View Post
That's the one problem with the anchor mode if its calm out, the motor likes to strangle its self. It's a PIA. I wish they made it so if it reaches some kind of resistance with the cable then it would correct itself. I'm sure that is coming down the road until then need to pay attention.

Fisherman 1792
The manual says the trolling motor will unwrap when it reaches a certain tension, but you gotta have brass b**ls if you can sit there and wait for it to do it. I watched it do it once, while I was playing tug o' war with a 42" northern. It scared me, but it did finally unwind. I don't trust it, even after seeing it in action.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:47 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandm View Post
The manual says the trolling motor will unwrap when it reaches a certain tension, but you gotta have brass b**ls if you can sit there and wait for it to do it. I watched it do it once, while I was playing tug o' war with a 42" northern. It scared me, but it did finally unwind. I don't trust it, even after seeing it in action.

it’s a bad design to base on tension. they could have a simple reader to count how many turns and unwrap if exceeded. i’m starting to get fed up with minnkota and humminbird. two much time on the water screwing around with all this crap to get it always working and tech support goes through the same basic bs that never resolves half the issues. Spent half a season with spot lock issues and deploy issues on a new unit, and after everything they offered in support the cure was buying a newer model. Now another year on no left SI image.
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 05-16-2020, 07:01 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandm View Post

Mine did not work on the model prior to Bluetooth, but my current Bluetooth model does a great job untangling itself. I have had to take mine in once and it did come from a wrapped cord issue. Mine was all the way down and had the cord pinched. When motor went to turn it busted the collar that drives the shaft back and forth. Split the plastic right at the seam. Tech said he had never seen anything like it and minn Kota covered under warranty after I spoke with a rep. Mine was about 18 months old at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2020, 08:35 PM
Wallhanger

Well I dropped it off Thursday. Supposed to be done early next week. We will see if it really is warranty or if I will have to pay.